Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Katy Perry: Speaking in tongues is as normal to me as 'Pass the salt'

Default Katy Perry: Speaking in tongues is as normal to me as 'Pass the salt'

Katy Perry is quite the conundrum. While she likes to pose in lingerie, like she did for her upcoming cover for Rolling Stone, she is also quite vocal about her religious upbringing. In fact, she's even tweeted about other pop stars using religion as part of their acts. And in the new issue of the music magazine, whose cover was shot by celeb photographer Mark Seliger, the Teenage Dream singer opens up about growing up with minister parents.
    In fact, while she appreciates having fiancé Russell Brand in her life, she just can't bring herself to say she feels lucky. Why? "I wasn't ever able to say I was 'lucky' because my mother would rather us say that we were blessed, and she also didn't like that lucky sounded like Lucifer," she told the magazine, which hits newsstands Friday. "Deviled eggs were called 'angelled' eggs. I wasn't allowed to eat Lucky Charms, but I think that was the sugar. I think my mom lied to me about that one."
    Perry, who has the word "Jesus" tattooed on her wrist, admits that her parents channeled God regularly. "Speaking in tongues is as normal to me as 'Pass the salt.' It's a secret, direct prayer language to God," she explained, adding that her father is the one who can speak in tongues with her mother acting as translator. "That's their gift," she said.
    Perry is about to release the album Teenage Dream. She recently started debuting tracks from it, and the music video for its next single, "Teenage Dream," was shot last month in California. On Sunday she will host the Teen Choice Awards alongside the guys from "Glee."

Katy Perry Poses In Lingerie, Talks Religion In Rolling Stone - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

It scares the shit out of me that some people are raised this way.

And look what that shit produced. A Russell Brand fucking attention whore. Nice one, Jesus.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh JFC
    Posted from my iPhone

Speaking in tongues freaks me out BIG time...no offense to anyone, but yikes.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't understand speaking in tongues.

If her faith makes her happy then good for her. My parents didn't bring us up religious they brought us up righteous.. and for the most part they practiced what they preached.

I know of no other people as tolerant as my parents... I was blessed

I'm surprised "pass the salt" was okay since salt is (sort of) close to Satan.

You know, I have friends with parents like this, they weren't allowed to watch Doug because they thought the blue-skinned kids were "supposed to be black" and it was racist. They also made them pass out pamphlets (tracts) during the Halloween season to try and get kids to learn about how evil it is. Mind-boggling. And yes, those kids did turn into crazy sluts too.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    And look what that shit produced. A Russell Brand fucking attention whore. Nice one, Jesus.

She is very mixed up, isn't she?

Something tells me Russell Brand is not her parents' idea of a dream son-in-law. They must be doing a lot of praying for her soul.

speaking in tongues is bullshit. most fake it but i think some people are so deluded they manage to convince themselves they're actually doing it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't get the entire concept. I have never know anyone who even mentioned doing this. The whole idea is rather odd.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^Pentecostal Holiness (sp) do... probably more faiths as well but thats the only one I know.

It's like a divine message from God ... but if it's a message from God he would want everyone to understand it... at least thats my thought.

I've seen it - pseudoglossia - as a teenager. Also some fundementalists can get pretty freaked out. Breakdowns are common, if they think they've 'lost it' - salvation that is. They can also be strict: drinking, lotteries, dancing, and even AM radio (but only music - talk radio is okay) are strictly forbidden. My view is that fundemantalists were so determined to get the facts straight that they wound up mising the point of Christianity.

However the "don't say lucky" stuff sounds exagerated - like something she saw Ned Flanders say on the Simpsons. She's probably using this, and embellishing, to get some attention (maybe she's been reading Tila Tequila's column?).

Regarding fundemalists - I remeber having a conversation with one woman about evolution and the Biblical timeline. I tried making the point that the Bible is largely metaphorical truth, rather than historical fact, so the 6 days of creation may really mean six ages. As the psalms say "a thousand ages in Thy sight is but an eveing past". Hence the spirit of the Bible - that man is a work in progress - is compatable with evolution.

Of course the woman got on an evangelical jag and started saying that "no, no, the Bible says - literally - 6 days and that's they way we have to take it - literally!" I was goning to ask that if the Bible is to be taken 100% ver batim then why she didn't observe the sabbath on Saturday instead of Sunday, and why her sect didn't use wine in it's sacraments, but decided not to push my luck. Reminding some one that they're full of shit just won't get you anywhere!

Just because some group claims that the take the Bible literally doesn't mean that there isn't also a lot of picking & choosing about what they take that goes on. Fundementalists love their money and like to quote Old Testament verse about proseprity being God's reward to the faithful; but hate being reminded about the rich man, the camel, & the eye of the needle. No one will argue the verse "the love of money is the root of all evil" more strenously than a Pentecostal businessman. "That's the love of it brother, not the money it's self". Maybe but you'd have to love money to bother to make that distinction.

I have never seen anyone speak in tongues but I would love to. Is it just gibberish they make up as they go along?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I have never seen anyone speak in tongues but I would love to. Is it just gibberish they make up as they go along?
    Anytime I hear about this stuff, I always wonder: who's crazier - the one spouting off the gibberish or the one interpreting it...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information