Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyclef Jean considering running for president of Haiti

Default Wyclef Jean considering running for president of Haiti

Hail To The Fugee? Wyclef To Run For President Of Haiti?

FIRST PUBLISHED: July 26, 2010 8:34 PM EDT

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti --Singer Wyclef Jean is considering a run for president of Haiti but has not decided whether to seek a five-year term as leader of the quake-ravaged nation, the musician’s family said Monday.
    There have been rumors for some time the Haitian-born entertainer might enter the 2010 presidential contest, ever since his 2007 appointment as ambassador-at-large for the Caribbean nation by President Rene Preval, who cannot seek re-election.
    In a statement e-mailed to reporters, the family said, “Wyclef’s commitment to his homeland and its youth is boundless, and he will remain its greatest supporter regardless of whether he is part of the government moving forward … If and when a decision is made, media will be alerted immediately.”
    The letter was signed “The Jean Family.” A spokeswoman for the musician confirmed the message’s authenticity.
    Jean, 37, was born on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince but left the hemisphere’s poorest country as a child and grew up in New York City’s borough of Brooklyn.
    He told The Associated Press in a recent interview he intended to be involved in the Nov. 28 election, but not necessarily as a candidate.
    “Do I have political intentions? At this time no. But what I do have is a movement — it’s called Face a Face, ‘Face to Face’,” Jean said. “The youth population … we are going to encourage them to vote.”
    The singer has been active in recent years in raising money through his Yele Haiti Foundation. The organization was widely criticized for alleged financial irregularities after the Jan. 12 quake, when scrutiny revealed it had paid Jean to perform at fundraising events and bought advertising air time from a television station he co-owns.
    The organization hired a new accounting firm after the allegations surfaced.
    Jean, who said he voted for Preval in 2006, would not have an easy road as a candidate. Haitian elections are contentious and often violent.
    Dozens of candidates are expected to declare themselves by the Aug. 7 deadline. Preval’s opponents have threatened to block the Nov. 28 vote if he does not replace the presidentially approved electoral council, which he has refused to do.
    To enter the race, Jean would have to prove he has resided in Haiti for five consecutive years, own property in the country and have never been a citizen of any country other than Haiti.
    Whoever wins will face the gargantuan task of rebuilding a country devastated by the Jan. 12 earthquake. Haiti has not had a functioning economy in decades and its presidents have only rarely completed aconstitutional five-year term — more typically being overthrown, getting assassinated, declaring themselves “president-for-life” or some combination of the three.

Hail To The Fugee? Wyclef To Run For President Of Haiti? | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

and you're qualified how?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It is so corrupt. Just make it a UN pretectorate or something(yeah that is probably shitty too...will be corrupt as hell). But Haiti just has no chance as it is now: At least there will be some hope of progress, reconstruction, and change happening there. Maybe with a UN ruling body some good could happen there? The corruption is just too deep for them to be independantly running themselves. Not that the UN is that great, but it would have to be an improvement at least in some degree.

With the corruption, the greed of the few wealthy landowners there, the endemic poverty, lawlessness, environmental catastrophe and the rape of the forests(hardly any left)..the place is just hopeless as it is. And hardly any shit is getting done as it is.

Whatever keeps him and his shitty music out of my face. Take the auto tuner with you, dick.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

He realized he could steal way more as President of a country than as President of a charity.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    He realized he could steal way more as President of a country than as President of a charity.
    HA I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    HA I was thinking the same thing

He should be laying low after being caught dipping
    into the honey pot...

Maybe Angie could run as his vice presidential candidate. That would be quite the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    and you're qualified how?
    There's qualifications for this position?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm running for president of Afghanistan.

Wed, 04 August 2010

Wyclef Jean: Running for President of Haiti!

Wyclef Jean has announced his intentions to run for the Haitian presidency.
    The 37-year-old musician and social activist confirmed the news to Time, saying, “If not for the earthquake, I probably would have waited another 10 years before doing this….If I can’t take five years out to serve my country as President, then everything I’ve been singing about, like equal rights, doesn’t mean anything.”
    “I want to be part of a different kind of celebrity,” Wyclef concluded, “one that thinks not just about charity but policy.”
    Wyclef was born in Haiti and left with his family at the age of 9 to go to New York City.

Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

What the hell?

I'm just going to pretend that this clown and the Wyclef of so many songs I used to love are different people.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I know! Is he even going to address this???

I wonder who the hell he'll be up against.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

He doesn't meet the Haitian residency requirements to run, barely speaks the language, stole from the charity meant to help these people, and owes over $2million in American taxes...sounds like he'd fit right in with past Haitian presidents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information