Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whoopi Goldberg: I know Mel Gibson & he’s not racist; ‘drunks say stupid things’

Default Whoopi Goldberg: I know Mel Gibson & he’s not racist; ‘drunks say stupid things’

I watched The View this morning seeing if they’d address the controversy over their inaccurate “Down Low” conversation pertaining to gay black men last month. (As we mentioned earlier today, GLAAD has taken out a full page ad criticizing The View for inaccuracy and asking for an apology.) They didn’t, (at least in the first half that I saw) but they did discuss Mel Gibson’s rant against Oksana. One thing I found very interesting is that Whoopi Goldberg sort-of defended Mel and said she knew him personally and knew he wasn’t a racist. (Video is above.) She did admit repeatedly that he was an “a**hole” and a “bonehead” though. Joy countered that the guy is a racist and anti-semite and that there are plenty of people who drink heavily and don’t say those things. It’s worth noting that Whoopi is not saying Mel was drunk when he said those awful things to Oksana, she’s saying he was drunk when he went off on the police officer during his 2006 DUI arrest. Here’s the relevant part of their conversation.
    Whoopi: I don’t like what he did here, but I know Mel and I know he’s not a racist… He may be a bonehead… I have had a long friendship with Mel…
    You can say he’s being a bonehead but I can’t sit and say that he’s a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids. I can’t say it and so I really just need to say that. I don’t like what he’s done. Make no mistake…
    Joy: Do you think he’s anti-semitic?
    Whoopi: I think he’s an a**hole (covers mouth, audio is silent)
    Joy: Somebody says to a police officer, “The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” That’s not anti-semitic?
    Whoopi: Drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time because they’re drunk. They’re out of control. They are not thinking they are idiotic. That’s why I don’t like alcohol. I can’t say anything about that because I know what people are like when they’re drunk. This rant, I don’t think he’s drunk on this rant…
    Joy: A lot of people drink and don’t say those things.
    [Transcribed from The View, 7-12-10]

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Whoopi Goldberg: I know Mel Gibson & he’s not racist; ‘drunks say stupid things’

Omg, Whoopi wtf is wrong with you, first the "it's not rape-rape" Roman Polanski comment and now this--STFU!

i hardly ever watch the View anymore, but i saw this today. Sometimes Whoopi really amazes me, and not in a good way.

Drunks will speak whats on their mind, because Alcohol gets rid of their filter.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Whoopi is a kiss ass.Fuck her.Rosie was a bitch,but at least she didn't kiss anyone's ass on there.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Oh Whoopi. I used to like her years ago, but not now as she comes out with the most stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i hardly ever watch the View anymore, but i saw this today. Sometimes Whoopi really amazes me, and not in a good way.

Drunks will speak whats on their mind, because Alcohol gets rid of their filter.
    Agreed. Drunk people say things they wouldn't say if they were sober.
    Rock the fuck on!

Oh Whoopi, just keep your mouth shut. There is only stupid shit coming out of it.

It amazes me who and what she'll stand up for. MG is a foul human being who is a sexist, mysognistic, racist asshole who also happens to be an addict. End of story.

This is the same woman who defended Ted Danson when he was in blackface at a roast.
    Posted from my iPhone

Alcohol does make you say and do things you normally won't do but the stuff that came out of Mel's mouth is different. Mel really meant all that crazy shit he spewed and the alcohol just helped him show his true colors. He wasn't joking or being stupid, he was angry and believes every single racist. sexist, offense comment that came out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    This is the same woman who defended Ted Danson when he was in blackface at a roast.
    Posted from my iPhone
    This. I was Stunned to hear her say this. People can have friends of another race and still have racist beliefs.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Posted from my iPhone
    she also dated him. i think she'd know if he was racist.
    not that i think she's right about mel gibson, just that i don't think she's wrong about ted danson.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know alcoholics, and have never heard any of them use the language Mel has. Why is Whoopi defending this? I guess to her Mel is not racist-racist. Just like Polanski is not a "real" rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    This. I was Stunned to hear her say this. People can have friends of another race and still have racist beliefs.
    Exactly. Which is why the "but I have black friends" excuse never holds any weight. It doesn't matter, he's still a racist and anti-semite.

Oh, so it's okay for Whoopi to use the argument that Mel can't be a racist because he has black friends, but white people can't say the same thing without getting pummeled? Ooookkaaayy. And then to shrug off the anti-semitic comments on top of it? Fuck you, Whoopi. Seriously. Fuck you.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirl View Post
    Exactly. Which is why the "but I have black friends" excuse never holds any weight. It doesn't matter, he's still a racist and anti-semite.
    John Wayne was friends with Sammy Davis, Jr. But that didn't stop him from saying he "believed in white supremacy" in his notorious Playboy interview in the early 70s.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information