Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Smith's acting son Jaden Smith comes face-to-face with the original Karate Kid

Default Will Smith's acting son Jaden Smith comes face-to-face with the original Karate Kid

Will Smith's acting son Jaden Smith comes face-to-face with the original Karate Kid

By Marcus Barnes
    Last updated at 1:01 PM on 8th June 2010

Less than a week after the A-Team remake hit U.S. screens, another updated Eighties franchise got its premiere.
    The Karate Kid got it first screening at the Mann Village Theatre on Broxton Avenue, and the original karate kid Ralph Macchio came face-to-face with his 21st Century counterpart Jaden Smith.
    Macchio, 48, played Daniel LaRusso in the 1984 movie, which became a huge hit among children and adults alike thanks to its underdog storyline, and the now infamous crane kick used in the final fight.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE A TRAILER FOR THE NEW FILM...

Old meets new: Jaden Smith and the original Karate Kid US actor Ralph Macchio arrive for the premiere of the 2010 remake at the Mann Village Theatre in Los Angeles

Embrace: Machhio, who played Daniel LaRusso in the original film, hugs the new Karate Kid Jaden Smith

The actor has hardly aged since his starring the role that made him a household name around the globe.
    He was 22 when he played the bullying victim who became a martial arts champion thanks to his teacher Mr Miyagi and his famous 'wax on/wax off' mantra (among others).
    Fast forward 26 years and Hollywood has produced a remake starring Will Smith's son in the lead role.

Kung Fu kicks: Willow Smith and mother actress Jada Pinkett Smith pose together while Jaden Smith and on/off-screen teacher Jackie Chan are pictured

Acting dynasty: Left to right, Jaden Smith, Trey Smith, Willow Smith, Will Smith and wife actress Jada Pinkett Smithat the premiere of The Karate Kid

The 12-year-old wore a red and black Michael Jackson style leather jacket, with a white shirt, bow tie, black jeans and trainers to the premiere, while his siter Willow dressed far beyond her nine years of age.
    Willow, who has also followed in her parents' footsteps by taking up acting, sported a partly-shaved hairdo combined with a garish leopard print ensemble, chunky jewellery and army boots.
    Mother Jada Pinkett-Smith and father Will were also present, as was their older brother Trey.

Female stars: Taraji P. Henson and Ciara make an appearance at the Karate Kid premiere

Jada, 38, wore a gold shoulderless dress with gold strappy heels.
    Also present at the premiere were singer Ciara and actress Taraji P. Henson, as well as Akeelah actress who battled with Mother Nature when her dress got blown up.

Original bad guys from the 1984 version Tony O'Dell (Jimmy) and William Zabka (Johnny Lawrence) spoke about the new remake on the red carpet.
    All stars: Ralph Macchio, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Will Smith, Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan pose on the red carpet

William Zabka said: 'It's like watching your ex-girlfriend get re-married or something, know what I mean?'
    O'Dell added: And you're invited to the wedding.'
    Zabka continued: 'You're invited to the wedding, but you're not only invited, you're giving away the bride.'

Iconic: Ralph Macchio in the final fight scene of the original Karate Kid with William Zabka

Macchio also spoke about the new film, he said: 'You know, the writer said to me, Robert Kamen, who wrote the original film, he said, "You know, we never had a premiere." He said, "Nor an after-party." He said our after-party kind of lasted 26 years.'
    The actor starred in all three of the original Karate Kid movies, and went on to become a writer/director himself.
    A few years ago he was responsible for the HBO series Love Thy Brother and he was in the Off-Broadway play, Magic Hands Freddy with Michael Rispoli of The Sopranos.

Irreplaceable? Pat Moriata played Mr Miyagi in the original film - he was nominated for an Oscar for the role

In January this year, he spoke about the new film, voicing his concerns about the production.

'That story will work forever, when well-told. So, it makes sense in that respect.

But he worried that Jaden, 12, might be too young for the role, which originally included not just karate, but a love story.
    On location: Jackie Chan plays Jaden Smith's mentor in the remake

'I don't know where the romantic story-arc goes [with Jaden] at that age.

He also spoke about the role of Mr. Miyagi, which earned an Oscar nomination for star Pat Morita (who passed away in 2005), which concerns him most.

'From my personal view, the filling the void of what Mr. Miyagi was - and the magic of that character - is going to be the toughest task.'

The actor also commented on the public's reaction to the new film, saying: 'It feels good that the public feels you don't touch certain things. Some times you go back to that, and probably shouldn't.'

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amj-Z8UoFjA[/YOUTUBE]

I love Jackie Chan ... I'm going with my daughter to see this when it's released. It will likely be awful, but I just have to see it.

Man Ralph is looking old ... *checks own self in the mirror*

the only reason i would ever want to see this, is to see Jackie Chan. Will Smiths kid seems like a cocky little fucker.

and Jada in that pic? so manly
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Morita got an Oscar nod for THAT?

His fake accent was freaking AWFUL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And where is Pat Moriata? Please tell me he ain't dead! I still prefer the original

he died in 2005
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I have never seen such a horrible display of clothing and hair.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Will's kids are going to be tabloid gold any day now. Can you picture the younger two as teenagers? Bwahaha.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he died in 2005
    Well that would explain why they didn't invite him, huh?

Im sure this will suck horribly but Jackie will surely try his best. And I think he looks better with facial hair, almost younger. Cant stand Wills kid though.

The trailers for this look ridiculous. Horrible miscasting regarding Smith. Wonder how many strings Daddy had to pull to get him the role.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^Daddy is the producer of this movie..the only strings he had to pull were his own!

Ralph Macchio was sooo cute in the original.

Remember this?

i love jackie chan but I still won't go see this mess... The trailer looks so incredibly stupid and there's something about Will smith's kid that I don't like... he has an annoying looking face -he looks like that Boondocks cartoon. This movie is filled with errors and Hollywood's disregard for other countrie's cultures - I mean this is the KARATE Kid movie yet this little punk kid is in China learning kung fu! It's two different cultures and two different types of martial arts but Hollywood doesn't care - they're both asian so they must be the same! And that family looks like a hot tranny clown mess!!

Bronze Member

Daniel-san, you fucking sellout. Jaden has a good Daddy who can buy him fame, and people!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information