Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up for auction, only photo of John F Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe together

Default Up for auction, only photo of John F Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe together

Their affair has become one of the most well-documented in history.
    But despite the wealth of speculation and rumour, this is the only picture of John F Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe together.
    It was taken on May 19 1962 at a Democratic fund raising event after her infamous rendition of 'Happy Birthday' for him.

Pictured together: John F Kennedy (right) appears to be turning his head away from Marilyn Monroe as his brother Robert looks on

The black and white photograph, taken by White House photographer Cecil Stoughton, shows her in the revealing, rhinstone studded dress she wore whilst singing at Madison Square Garden in New York.
    President Kennedy, who was not known to be camera shy, appears to be turning his face towards the wall and away from the camera, while his brother Robert F Kennedy looks on.
    The Secret Service had clear instructions not to allow any photographs to be taken of the President and Miss Monroe together and the picture only survived because when agents came to confiscate it, the negatives were in the photographic dryer.
    It has remained out of the public eye because Mr Stoughton was on good terms with with Jackie Kennedy, the president's wife, and did not want to offend her, according to filmmaker Keya Morgan, who is selling the print.
    'There is no other known photo of Bobby Kennedy with Marilyn or JFK with Marilyn and it's not because they were never photographed together,' he said.
    'In fact, they were photographed together many times, but the Secret Service and the FBI confiscated every single photograph.
    Sultry: Monroe sang 'Happy Birthday' to the president moments earlier

'The Secret Service had specific instructions not to photograph President Kennedy and Marilyn together because it would have been a national scandal,' he said.
    He bought the photograph and dozens of other images for $50,000 for a documentary he is making about Miss Monroe.
    The image of her and President Kennedy is one of only 10 prints from the negative, and it is expected to reach $23,000 at auction.
    'You know, Marilyn died within months. President Kennedy died the next year and Bobby a few years from that. So what a haunting photograph, and it's the only one of any of them together,' Mr Morgan.
    Also in the picture is American historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., who was an aide to President Kennedy. He can been seen holding a drink and a cigar and grinning broadly.
    In his personal journal, which was published in 2007, he said that he and President Kennedy played a 'mock competition' to see who could win Miss Monroe's attentions and that she was 'most agreeable' to him.
    'The image of this exquisite, beguiling and desperate girl will always stay with me,' he wrote.
    'I do not think I have seen anyone so beautiful; I was enchanted by her manner and her wit, at once so masked, so ingenuous and so penetrating.'

Read more: Marilyn Monroe and JFK: Only picture of them together goes up for auction | Mail Online

She slept with both of them, right?

Hit By Ban Bus!

The article acts like the photo has never been seen but it's been out there for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    She slept with both of them, right?
    From what I've read no, she didn't sleep with Bobby. And I'm not just saying that as a Kennedy loyalist.

People are acting like this photo gives away some huge clue - of course they met, what else does it prove? Everyone knows they fucked, do they want a semen stained item of clothing ala Lewinsky?
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Why are they acting as if this photo is something new? I guess they want to jack up the price by pretending it's some newly unearthed treasure.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i would love to own a print! and $24,000 aint bad at all if there is in fact only a few lying around and NO NEGATIVE!

even though JFK was a total ass to her, apparently they didn't have a "relationship", he just fucked her once or a couple times, but jack was done w/ any woman after one time, which of course if you're a woman is hard to take and it was hard for her to take, enters Bobby to clean up the mess and Marilyn being the needy woman she was falls for him with disastrously as well

....is why i can relate to her on many levels

That thing is going to cost a fortune.

You know, I recently saw 'Some Like It Hot'. Awesome movie and her beauty just blew my mind. But for some reason I kept thinking of Jessica Simpson as I watched it. Think she might be trying to be like Marilyn Monroe in that movie, with the ditzy act and all?

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i would love to own a print! and $24,000 aint bad at all if there is in fact only a few lying around and NO NEGATIVE!

even though JFK was a total ass to her, apparently they didn't have a "relationship", he just fucked her once or a couple times, but jack was done w/ any woman after one time, which of course if you're a woman is hard to take and it was hard for her to take, enters Bobby to clean up the mess and Marilyn being the needy woman she was falls for him with disastrously as well

....is why i can relate to her on many levels
    Of course unless you are Inga Arvad or Judith Exner

Plus, despite my love for him, he was awful in bed. I can't imagine feeling too attached to a five pump lover (even if it was him). Though how I feel about the Kennedys I would have totally followed Marilyn's lead.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Of course unless you are Inga Arvad or Judith Exner

Plus, despite my love for him, he was awful in bed. I can't imagine feeling too attached to a five pump lover (even if it was him). Though how I feel about the Kennedys I would have totally followed Marilyn's lead.
    You've obviously read as much about JFK as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    You've obviously read as much about JFK as I have.
    I'm an absolute JFK loser. I adore him, in many unhealthy ways. It's my Achilles heel and I've been wound up to explosion because my friends know it!

I even had a JFK themed weekend, when it was his birthday (29th May). I went to his house in Kensington, his bust near Regent's Park and the memorial garden in Runnymede. Wow, I realise how sad I am as I type!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm an absolute JFK loser. I adore him, in many unhealthy ways. It's my Achilles heel and I've been wound up to explosion because my friends know it!

I even had a JFK themed weekend, when it was his birthday (29th May). I went to his house in Kensington, his bust near Regent's Park and the memorial garden in Runnymede. Wow, I realise how sad I am as I type!
    I adore him too. Not so much on a personal/private life level--altho I find his personal biography utterly fascinating-- but I firmly believe he was one of the most audaciously courageous Presidents we've ever had--or ever will have.

Elite Member

If you pick a celeb or public figure to adore, why not choose the best?

I totally get it. JFK was the last, the first, the turning point, the tipping point. All presidents since have lived under his shadow.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I adore him too. Not so much on a personal/private life level--altho I find his personal biography utterly fascinating-- but I firmly believe he was one of the most audaciously courageous Presidents we've ever had--or ever will have.
    I love him in every way. I've swallowed up so many books and I keep buying more, I still have about 5 or 6 to read I've not even looked at yet I like him because of his flaws, and that goes for Bobby and Teddy too. I don't like 'perfect' people - he's perfect to me because he's so obviously human. Plus I'm guilty of a lot of sins myself, so I relate.

I don't know how this all started either. I remember I was in New York and I bought a book on Bobby and the guy behind the till noticed I was English and was like, 'The Kennedys, huh? Are you Irish?'. I am, by heritage, but I found it hilarious I had to have something in common with them to be interested.

Olivia - what you said about him actually made my day (I'm like a proud mother over here, haha)

Gold Member

Yes, Marilyn slept with both. Initially, JFK had sent his little brother to break it off with Marilyn, but Bobby wound up having an affair too. In fact, it was with Bobby, not JFK, that Marilyn had the most passionate affair. She told many friends she was in love with him and he was going to leave his wife.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by leigh View Post
    Yes, Marilyn slept with both. Initially, JFK had sent his little brother to break it off with Marilyn, but Bobby wound up having an affair too. In fact, it was with Bobby, not JFK, that Marilyn had the most passionate affair. She told many friends she was in love with him and he was going to leave his wife.
    MM was luminous. Breath taking, in the very best way, I still find her photos arresting. But (there's always a but) I wouldn't trust a thing she said, especially later in life. She was so gone at that point.

All the best researched sources agree, she slept with JFK only. RFK was brought in to quell her chatter that JFK was leaving Jackie for her.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information