Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Edwards hoping to stop Rielle Hunter from raising her kids

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Elizabeth Edwards hoping to stop Rielle Hunter from raising her kids

Elizabeth Edwards is said to be determined not to let her husband's mistress become her children's stepmom.

Insiders tell us that John Edwards' estranged wife is investigating how - should she lose her battle with cancer - she can keep daughter Emma, 12, and son Jack, 10, away from Rielle Hunter, the woman who broke up her marriage.

"She doesn't want Rielle anywhere near them," says a source.

Friends say Elizabeth is exploring the option of having her 28-year-old daughter, Cate, raise them.

"She's a smart and competent woman," says a source, noting that, having graduated from Harvard Law School, Cate has been clerking in federal court in Alexandria, Va. She owns a Georgetown row house and has been in a longterm relationship with a resident at Georgetown University Hospital.

Hard as it is to face the worst-case scenario, Elizabeth "has been grooming Cate to take over," says a source.

Another source says Elizabeth has been forced to confront the question of guardianship because her health has "taken a turn for the worse lately."

Her sister, Nancy Anania Sims, disputes that she's suffered a setback.

"She is in treatment," Sims tells us. "But she's doing well. She's from strong Italian stock. She has more energy than I do."

Sims also doesn't believe John Edwards will marry Hunter, with whom he has a 2-year-old daughter, Quinn. even though he's now legally separated from Elizabeth.

Hunter has said that she and Edwards used to dream about what wedding they'd have after Elizabeth was gone. But, at this point, Sims says, "I find it impossible to believe [they'll marry]. That would surprise me."

Sims doesn't "think" Elizabeth has discussed Cate becoming her siblings' guardian. But she corroborated that Elizabeth may be hoping to deprive her husband of custody.

"There are a lot of family members who are willing and able [to look after Jack and Emma]," says Sims, who might be one of them. "They'll be well taken care of."

John Edwards' lawyer, Wade Smith, didn't immediately return a phone call. But some attorneys who've been watching the Edwards drama believe that Elizabeth stands little chance of choosing Jack and Emma's guardian.

"That's ridiculous," says New York attorney Peter Bronstein, whose star clients have included Guy Ritchie and Julian Schnabel. "The father would have the paramount right to succeed to the custody of his natural children.

"It would be very sad if Elizabeth Edwards isn't around to see her children to adulthood. But she can't rule from the grave and dictate whether they see their father and his girlfriend."

The exception would be if the father was proven to be unfit - say, for instance, if Edwards were to go to jail. (A grand jury in North Carolina has been considering whether he illegally used campaign funds to cover up his affair with Hunter.)

"If a father was shown to be guilty of moral turpitude, he might lose custody," Bronstein allows.

Would that include adultery?

"No," says Bronstein. "If that were true, half the parents in America would lose their children."

Read more: Rielle Hunter won't be a stepmom: Elizabeth Edwards 'grooming' older daughter to raise other kids

I get that she's angry and probably bitter as hell but the other woman didn't break up her marriage, her husband did. And like the article says, she can't rule from the grave. All she's doing is making sure that the little girl has zero chance of having a normal relationship with her half siblings.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Wouldn't surprise me if she outlives them all just for spite. But damn this woman is one bitter bitch.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Hit By Ban Bus!

Stupid ugly bitter bitch.

I'd be scared to death of someone as stupid as Rielle Hunter anywhere near my children. I don't know much about Elizabeth but I hope she'll be around to raise her kids (and mess them up) by herself.

These poor kids are caught in a circle of assholes.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I'd be scared to death of someone as stupid as Rielle Hunter anywhere near my children. I don't know much about Elizabeth but I hope she'll be around to raise her kids (and mess them up) by herself.
    If they were small I would be too. How old are the Edwards kids? Is 10 the age of the youngest? That's old enough to know a whore who helped bust your parents up and not be too unduly influenced. Unless of course they want to stick it to their mom come teenage years (if she hasn't kicked the bucket and is alive to stick it to). It just depends on a couple of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    These poor kids are caught in a circle of assholes.
    ICAM.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Silver Member

^^THIS. I don't care how bitter Elizabeth is (which apparently is very, VERY bitter-can't imagine why, lol) , I wouldn't trust a woman like Rielle to babysit my dog for a few hours, much less raise my kids during their teen years when they begin to experience so many important issues. Hell to the naw. There may not be much Elizabeth can do to stop it but I sure as hell would be going to my grave trying to figure out a way to prevent it. Rielle Hunter is poison. It isn't about the affair with John Edwards, it is about who she is as a person which is disgusting.

I know. She might do another half nekkid photoshoot with them.

The thought of Rielle Hunter raising my kids would keep me alive forever.

The daughter Cate may love her siblings and want to help, but for Elizabeth to practically force Cate to raise them is shitty, imo. Cate should have a chance at her own life, not be forced into raising her brother and sister because her mother can't stand the idea of daddy's mistress anywhere around them.

It's an impossible request to make of your own child, who basically cannot say no without a shitload of guilt.

^^Agree. And you know, it must suck to think that the mistress might raise those kids or be a part of their lives but hell, it happens to people every day, all over the world. Get over it and stop infecting the situation more. These people are seriously childish.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Yes. It happens all the time. Once you're dead, there's not much you can do about it. I don't blame EE for feeling the way she does, but since she can't control it she should think of positive ways to live right now and to leave a legacy of love for her kids.

I think it behooves her to stop talking publicly about the whole situation (maybe she already has) and not make her whole life and her kids' lives about the affair.

I was thinking the same think about her not letting this go publicly. Those kids don't need this crap popping up every few months. They get it: she hates the mistress, blames the mistress for her husband's wandering dick and will do anything to poison any relationship that might evolve, now or after she's gone. I think it's selfish to do that to her kids. And to do it to a little girl who is completely innocent of the fuckery of the adults around her.

--Sinclair Lewis

Gold Member

Last I knew, you can't will your kids to someone else if there is a surviving parent. Unless they're declared unfit to raise them by the court or the surviving parent grants custody to someone else if they don't want to raise them.

That's what she's looking into. She's an attorney herself. This whole story is just a disgrace to her children. All of them should be ashamed of the way they've behaved.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information