Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Costner is going to clean up the oil spill (really!)

Default Kevin Costner is going to clean up the oil spill (really!)

If You Build It … - Green Blog - NYTimes.com

Kevin Costner has been overseeing the construction of oil separation machines for 15 years to prepare for the possibility of another disaster of the magnitude of the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill.

Does this evoke his tagline from “Field of Dreams?” It seems that Mr. Costner, the 55-year-old actor, environmental activist and fisherman, was ready for the current BP spill in the gulf.

Disturbed by the effects of the Valdez spill in Alaska, Mr. Costner bought the nascent technology from the government in 1995 and put $24 million of his own money into developing it for the private sector.

“Kevin saw the Exxon Valdez spill, and as a fisherman and an environmentalist, it just stuck in his craw, the fact that we didn’t have separation technology,” said John Houghtaling, Mr. Costner’s lawyer and business partner as chief executive with Ocean Therapy Solutions, which developed the technology.

Mr. Costner’s brother, Dan, is a scientist who worked on the project and was also in New Orleans this week.

On Wednesday, BP’s chief operating officer, Doug Suttles, said that the company had approved six of Ocean Therapy’s 32 machines for testing. All boast centrifuge processing technology — giant vacuum-like machines that suck oil from water, separate the oil, store it in a tanker and send the water, 99.9 percent purified, back into the gulf.

“I’m very happy the light of day has come to this,” Mr. Costner said at a news conference in New Orleans. He said he was “very sad” about the spill, “but this is why it’s developed.”

“It’s prepared to go out and solve problems, not talk about them,” the actor said of the technology.

Mr. Houghtaling of Ocean Therapy Solutions said that the company had trained independent contractors and were bringing in scientists from U.C.L.A. to deploy the machines, which were waiting on a barge in Venice, La., on Wednesday afternoon.

The technology was available for use 10 years ago, Mr. Houghtaling said. “These machines have been very robust, but nobody’s been interested in them until now,” he added.

BP officials and Ocean Therapy are working to determine where best in the gulf to test the machines, and if all goes well, the technology will be running within the week, he said. “We just need the green light from BP.”

He said that the largest four machines have the capability of separating 210,000 gallons of oil from water a day, 200 gallons a minute.

And now I like Kevin Costner again. I forgive him Waterworld.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

How fast can you get them there? And where the FUCK have you been until now? You were waiting for WHAT?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

If this works, he and his brother are fricking geniuses
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

SVZ

BP needs to get off their fucking asses and DO something.

Originally they said that the leak was releasing 5k gallons a day. Now they're saying they're capturing 5k gallons a day. Which would mean there's no leak anymore!

I bet there's still a leak.

Assholes.

And good for Costner!

It's been leaking for a fucking MONTH. Who in THE HELL takes this long to figure stuff out? This is ridiculous. And - where HAS Costner been for a month? Letting out his "Waterworld" costume?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    How fast can you get them there? And where the FUCK have you been until now? You were waiting for WHAT?
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    BP needs to get off their fucking asses and DO something.

Originally they said that the leak was releasing 5k gallons a day. Now they're saying they're capturing 5k gallons a day. Which would mean there's no leak anymore!
    so far all we've gotten are lies

No one seems to be prepared for this. BP wasn't doing their weekly checks and no one seemed to care.

Once the oil hits the gulf stream it will go up the east coast - it's a nightmare.

If Kevin Cosner pulls this off I will never rag about him again.. never

please work

I saw an article about Costner doing this a couple of weeks ago so it's not like he just showed up.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^really? then why isn't it in the water pumping away?

I'll bet anything it's BP holding shit up. It will probably cut into their profits to do the right thing right away. Irresponsible, greedy fucking bastards.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I bet your right, they probably don't want to pay for the clean up. If I find that out I will loathe them to the very depths of my toe nails and never buy a BP product again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I'll bet anything it's BP holding shit up. It will probably cut into their profits to do the right thing right away. Irresponsible, greedy fucking bastards.
    Yep.

I don't think Costner & co could just go out there. There's probably rules or something like that Brookie. In the article he said BP has to approve his machine...

Zee

Was it a potential liability for Costner until the attorneys hashed out the legal bs?

Still bullshit if that was the delay- hope this works.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

the whole thing is just terrible, and I am afraid it will get a lot worse before getting better.

The public will end up paying for the cleanup too,...at the gas pump. I have heard gas may go for $10/gallon or higher. That will break our already hurting country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information