Thread: Donny Osmond - "I think Michael Jackson's family saw it coming"

Default Donny Osmond - "I think Michael Jackson's family saw it coming"

Donny speaks candidly about "Mike". The interview seemed heartfelt with things I didn't know about. I know there are a few fans still left on here, even if no one admits it.

Donny Osmond Reminisces about Michael Jackson at The Insider

Donny Osmond has known Michael Jackson since they were both 13 years old and performed at the American Music Awards. Now he reminisces with our Lara Spencer about MJ's life and what he thinks led to the King of Pop's death.

"I think he had so much pressure in his life to obtain the success of Thriller; it was impossible, and that is what broke him," Donny says.

Donny and Michael were working on an exclusive story for "The Insider" for Michael's upcoming concert dates in London, and it wasn't the first time the two former teen idols had planned to collaborate.

"We were planning on doing something together, a few years ago, before the trial," Donny recalls. "We were going to do a song together [Stevie Wonder's "I Wish"]. Then he called me and said, 'The trial is coming up, it is ugly, I have to back out.'"

Donny also tells Lara that he never saw Michael take drugs, but he doesn't discount that possibility, admitting there was a time in his life when he, too, was taking prescription meds.

"I will be honest with you," Donny tells Lara. "In my stage-fright era in the '90s, I had to take prescription drugs just to get through life -- and it is something you deny. If somebody asks you, you say, 'No, no. no. I am not doing that.' Michael went through the same thing. He probably wouldn't admit it. I never saw it. It is sad that people in show business get caught up in that whole drug problem."
    Donny has yet to speak to any of the Jackson family, but he says: "I feel sorry for the entire family, but mostly the kids."

Published 6/26/09 by

Donny Osmond Reminisces about Michael Jackson at The Insider

Elite Member

I'll admit I've always been a big fan and will continue to be.

Michael had much bigger issues than worrying about matching or exceeding Thriller's success. It's pretty obvious that the allegations, the trial and the media fallout broke him. If it weren't for his love for his kids, I honestly believe we'd have lost him much earlier than '09. For me, there was no greater entertainer.

Shouldn't he be doing something more constructive like warning Justin Bieber about the pitfalls of teen heart throb stardom?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Shouldn't he be doing something more constructive like warning Justin Bieber about the pitfalls of teen heart throb stardom?

My God your avatar is frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I agree, but I will say that Donny Osmond's perspective on MJ's death can serve as a cautionary tale to Bieber in it's own way. The price of fame is obviously a high one, and I hope that Justin Bieber has a huge support system to protect him from the BS and pitfalls of the music industry and fame in general. Who knew that Lindsay Lohan would be such a fucked-up mess? Who else is expecting Pink-Wig insanity from Miley Cyrus in our future?

As for MJ trying to outdo Thriller, I truly believe that was the beginning of his downfall. Something like that is a once-in-a-while phenomenon and is rarely duplicated. I think if he had tried to follow it up with an album, let the music speak for itself and hope for the best, it would've been a different story, but that's neither here nor there. I have my own tinfoil hat reasons about a lot of things that happened to MJ, and I'll just leave it at that...
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; May 10th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

RIP Michael.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Michael Jackson put out some good music.

His family are a bunch of remora's and since Michael distanced himself from them, he knew they were using him.

The rest is between him and his maker, I'm not going to glorify or vilify him there is no point.

I like Donny Osmond, seems like a nice guy with some really beautiful teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Michael Jackson put out some good music.

His family are a bunch of remora's and since Michael distanced himself from them, he knew they were using him.

The rest is between him and his maker, I'm not going to glorify or vilify him there is no point.

I like Donny Osmond, seems like a nice guy with some really beautiful teeth.

From what I've heard, Janet doesn't fuck with the rest of the Jackson's too much either, neither does Marlon. I think he and his family moved down here to Georgia years ago.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ wish I could say I like Janet Jackson, I don't like her music and I wonder how far she would have gotten if it hadn't been for Michael.

AND my gosh she can keep a secret can't she!?!

Your probably right, of the clan she probably used Michael the least.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I agree, but I will say that Donny Osmond's perspective on MJ's death can serve as a cautionary tale to Bieber in it's own way. The price of fame is obviously a high one, and I hope that Justin Bieber has a huge support system to protect him from the BS and pitfalls of the music industry and fame in general. Who knew that Lindsay Lohan would be such a fucked-up mess? Who else is expecting Pink-Wig insanity from Miley Cyrus in our future?

As for MJ trying to outdo Thriller, I truly believe that was the beginning of his downfall. Something like that is a once-in-a-while phenomenon and is rarely duplicated. I think if he had tried to follow it up with an album, let the music speak for itself and hope for the best, it would've been a different story, but that's neither here nor there. I have my own tinfoil hat reasons about a lot of things that happened to MJ, and I'll just leave it at that...
    I hope that the kid saves his money. The price of fame is high and breaking even is as close as celebs get to coming out ahead. As for Miley, she seems completely soulless so she should be fine.

^^ wish I could say I like Janet Jackson, I don't like her music and I wonder how far she would have gotten if it hadn't been for Michael.

I'm not a fan of Janet or Micheal, but I think she would have made it on her own. Having a famous family certainly opened the doors, but her career has had legs. Unlike, say, Jermaine or LaToya.

Being Michael's sibling didn't work for LaToya or Jermaine or Rebbie in the long term.

Janet had a charisma and sassiness to her that really worked for her albums and image. She was in the right place at the right time and had the right people - Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis producing her albums back in the 80's and 90's, Paula Abdul and Tina Landon's choreography helped as well. Her being MJ's sister certainly opened doors, but she did a pretty good job of distancing herself from MJ and the family name and making herself distinguishable.

I don't know what has happened to Janet in the last few years though. She's always had a weak voice, but the whispery thing doesn't do her any favors.

Thread Information