Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacist cut Brittany Murphy off-'accident waiting to happen'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Pharmacist cut Brittany Murphy off-'accident waiting to happen'

Actress Brittany Murphy was cut off by a Los Angeles pharmacist just months before her death because he though there "was going to be an accident."
    Eddie Bubar, owner of Eddie's Pharmacy in Los Angeles, told TMZ.com today that he has a list of more than 100 prescriptions he filled for Brittany, her husband Simon Monjack and mother Sharon Murphy between January 2008 and August 2009 -- including Vicodin, hydrocodone, Klonopin, and other drugs obtained under various aliases.
    Bubar told TMZ that one of the aliases Murphy used was "Lola Manilow Murphy."

Murphy, 32, collapsed in her home on Dec. 21 from pneumonia, anemia, lack of medical care and drug intoxication, the coroner said. Her death was ruled an "accident" by investigators last month.
    The sickly Murphy hadn't seen a doctor in months when she finally decided to seek help for her worsening health just before her death, her family said.
    Bubar also said a messenger would pick up the various prescriptions from his store in an envelope approximately every two weeks with the name "Lola" written on it.
    He told TMZ that he cut off Murphy, Simon and the actress' mother four months before she died because he believed they were using multiple pharmacies to fill prescriptions.
    "We thought there was going to be an accident there," he said.
    TMZ reported that Murphy used other aliases from another pharmacy that included the names "Kathelyn Moore" and "Faith Gosselin."
    Monjack told TMZ that he used aliases -- along with Murphy and his mother-in-law, because, "You know how this town is. We're the ones who cut Eddie's Pharmacy off.

Read more: Brittany Murphy was an 'accident' waiting to happen: report - NYPOST.com
    So the mother and the husband were either junkies as well, or enabling her. Nice.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hope this pharmacist shared this with the police and not just the press.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

How is it legal to use multiple aliases to obtain prescription drugs?!

I mean.. I guess if you didn't have insurance, or didn't use it. And the doctors wrote it in the alias name.... but isn't that illegal?

Its all a damn shame.

When a pharmacist has to cut you off, you're in it pretty bad.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    How is it legal to use multiple aliases to obtain prescription drugs?!

I mean.. I guess if you didn't have insurance, or didn't use it. And the doctors wrote it in the alias name.... but isn't that illegal?

Its all a damn shame.
    It's not legal but it's also not that hard to do. Plenty of patients don't have insurance so they pay in cash for their visit. They can give whatever name they want. Unless the doctor is suspicious, why would they question it?

Some states have a database to look up where patients were given Rx drugs and when. There is a way to look for aliases too. Unfortuantely, it doesn't look like CA is one of the states that does this. Stupid really.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I agree in this case, but in most others, I'm frickin' SICK of militant pharmacists that think they know better than my doctor. Somewhere in the last 5 years, many pharmacists started getting on a power trip and it makes me so mad. And I don't even get controlled substances so I really feel for you all with chronic conditions, or who get pain meds, etc. You probably fight endlessly with meddling pharmacists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    It's not legal but it's also not that hard to do. Plenty of patients don't have insurance so they pay in cash for their visit. They can give whatever name they want. Unless the doctor is suspicious, why would they question it?

Some states have a database to look up where patients were given Rx drugs and when. There is a way to look for aliases too. Unfortuantely, it doesn't look like CA is one of the states that does this. Stupid really.
    I guess I never think of that. I've always had insurance until recently, and I wouldn't have darkened the door of a doctor's office during that time unless I was dying, just bc of the expense. Thanks for the info!

Also, here's another little-known fact (that I only know bc I have an MD in the family): insurance companies notify doctors if a patient they've written an RX for turns out to be getting (or trying to get- even if they dont) multiple prescriptions for the same thing, or from multiple doctors, or cruising through their refills early. Basically all the signs of substance abuse. I know at least BCBS does this for their preferred providers.

^^ Not always. Someone has to be a huge user before an insurance company blows a whistle. In all the years I've been dealing with substance abusers, I've had one call from an insurance complany. Usually, they just deny payment for the scripts. That isn't a problem for the user though because the big users are paying cash under different aliases.

She had crazy eyes for a while before her death. Although I liked her to a degree, this doesn't surprise me at all.

First of all, I would assume that the same HIPPA laws apply in California as well, so I doubt this pharmacist told specifically that he filled X prescription for X patient...we can't even tell a spouse information about rx's filled....I don't think her being dead would make a difference.
    I don't doubt she was taking the meds, just that the pharmacist gave such specific information.
    I think it's sad that she died-addicted or not, she was a very young woman.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Elite Member

Evidently her Mom told a bold faced lie when she insisted Brittany wasn't involved in drugs. Not only were Mom and hubby fully aware of her problem, they too were cut off by the Pharmacy.

That isn't a problem for the user though because the big users are paying cash under different aliases.
    Yeah they always pay cash. I worked in an Urgent Care for awhile. The drug seekers were interesting. One lady would come in around once a week for her "migraines". A co-worker knew another receptionist at another facility. Turns out she was going there too under a different name. Nobody would have really noticed her, except she was such a massively demanding bitch and scene causer that she stood out. She got banned from our place.

But yeah they pay cash, they know their drugs and what they want. They'd want Vicoden for a sprained finger. LOL.

czb

^^ Not always. Someone has to be a huge user before an insurance company blows a whistle. In all the years I've been dealing with substance abusers, I've had one call from an insurance complany. Usually, they just deny payment for the scripts. That isn't a problem for the user though because the big users are paying cash under different aliases.
    this is correct.

one physician in my family was suspicious that his patient might be doctor shopping to get additional scripts, so he called the pharmacy and his suspicions were confirmed. he cut off the patient and refused to fill the script. but that took some extra legwork and not sure if most doctors have the time/patience to do that.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    i know right! especially in Hell-A!

i just love all the time that while she was alive and high as a friggen' kite how she was always denying it saying she didn't even drink and shit like that River Phoenix did the same bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    this is correct.

one physician in my family was suspicious that his patient might be doctor shopping to get additional scripts, so he called the pharmacy and his suspicions were confirmed. he cut off the patient and refused to fill the script. but that took some extra legwork and not sure if most doctors have the time/patience to do that.
    Most MDs who become aware, do call or cut the patient off because it's their license, and their patient's health, at stake. There are a few pieces of garbage (Whacko Jacko's for instance) who use abuse their license but an overwhelming majority don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i know right! especially in Hell-A!

i just love all the time that while she was alive and high as a friggen' kite how she was always denying it saying she didn't even drink and shit like that River Phoenix did the same bullshit.
    Are her family still pretending she wasn't a junkie? This is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information