Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rupert Everett: no actor should come out of the closet, ever

Elite Member

Default Rupert Everett: no actor should come out of the closet, ever

Rupert Everett: no actor should come out of the closet, ever

The last we heard from the tragic, bitter, nasty old lady known as Rupert Everett, he was being fired from Vanity Fair for calling the editor, Graydon Carter, “rather fat” and “a weird character”. This came after Rup’s spiral of self-destruction, where he bitched and moaned about his fellow gay men being “tiresome middle-aged queens” focused on “egocentric and vain” child-rearing. This was also after Rup mangled his face with some kind of extreme surgery and Botox.
    Rup’s new temper tantrum is in The Daily Mail. He is advising young gay actors to stay in the closet. Because, you see, Rup blames the fact that no one wants to work with him on his gayness. Not the fact that he’s a horrible person that no one can stand.
    Actor Rupert Everett is urging gay stars not to ‘come out’ and to keep their sexuality a secret as it could end their film career.
    The 50-year-old My Best Friend’s Wedding star came out as gay 20 years ago and admitted that since then, he has been given supporting roles and not lead parts.
    Everett is now suggesting that aspiring actors stay in the closet as it could harm their career.
    He said: “It’s not that advisable to be honest. It’s not very easy. And, honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out…The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business.’
    ‘It just doesn’t work and you’re going to hit a brick wall at some point. You’re going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at the first sign of failure, they’ll cut you right off.’
    ‘And I’m sick of saying: ‘Yes, it’s probably my own fault.’ Because I’ve always tried to make it work and when it stops working somewhere, I try to make it work somewhere else. But the fact of the matter is, and I don’t care who disagrees, it doesn’t work if you’re gay.’
    However, Everett added that he does believe that he is happier that those other major stars who are keeping their sexuality a secret.
    He said: ‘I think, all in all, I’m probably much happier than they are. I may not be as rich or successful, but at least I’m vaguely free to be myself.’
    [From The Daily Mail]
    Yes, I have a rebuttal for Rup: Neil Patrick Harris. Granted, I don’t think that naming just one “mainstream” young gay actor will solve all the homophobic world’s evils, but it’s a start. And until young gay actors and actresses live and work in a life out of the closet, Rup’s nastiness will prevail. Doesn’t he just sound out of touch? Doesn’t he sound like some old coot sitting on a front porch, bitching about the way things used to be? Compare Rup’s comments with someone like Sir Ian McKellen, who always sounds like a fascinating, hell-raising, gay rights advocate (who is still working steadily), and you wonder just what Rup is really complaining about.

He needs to shut his pie-hole!

He's gay?
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Elite Member

I don't know, he has a point. Middle America generally turns their back on gay actors, who are intent on doing romantics leads, regardless of their talent.

Negative sentiment is still alive and well, the proof is in the voting booths and resistance to legislation for gay/lesbian rights. Even CA pulled the rug, which I did not expect.

As for NPH, most of us grew up loving adorable Doogie Houser. It seems some actors are "allowed" to be gay, since they are not considered sexy, or handsome. Those such as NPH and Ian McKellen, aren't sex symbols, and less likely to be targeted.

He does have a point, but every case is different. I think his career problems stem from his own personality and, at least what seems to me as, his sense of entitlement.

OT- his plastic surgery turned me off.

bitter queen, party of one..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    I don't know, he has a point. Middle America generally turns their back on gay actors, who are intent on doing romantics leads, regardless of their talent.

Negative sentiment is still alive and well, the proof is in the voting booths and resistance to legislation for gay/lesbian rights. Even CA pulled the rug, which I did not expect.

As for NPH, most of us grew up loving adorable Doogie Houser. It seems some actors are "allowed" to be gay, since they are not considered sexy, or handsome. Those such as NPH and Ian McKellen, aren't sex symbols, and less likely to be targeted.
    NPH is a great actor though.. he is believable as a womanizer on his new show..
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I think NPH is quite sexy.

Well someone has to be the raggedy bitch, right? *give the tiara to R. E. *
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I think NPH is quite sexy.
    Beat me to it!

Gold Member

Neil Patrick Harris came out while on How I Met Your Mother. I do wonder if he would have been hired if he were already out. Also, I wonder what's going to happen to TR Knight's career now that he's out and looking for work.

The NY Senate voted down marriage equality for gays today, so I'm more than willing to believe that the unseen discrimination is even worse than what people admit to out in the open. Don't know enough about the James Bond rumors, but perhaps he's referencing how it was "preposterous" for a gay man to play James Bond, when actors precisely are expected to play roles they are not IRL. He might regret coming out of the closet, others might not. Anyone can suffer career damage, no matter the profession.

Rupert Everet's career stalled way before he butchered his face. I don't know whether it was because he came out. I think the sad truth is that many people are still not willing to accept gay actors in straight parts and that's moronic.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

He's right. Come out as gay and your roles are limited. A straight playing gay? It's all very Oscar worthy but the other way around? Not easy for people to accept. He's kind of a bitter old queen but I still kind of like him, if only for his book which was bloody hilarious and boy, did he dish.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information