Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leona Lewis speaks about her recent encounter with racism

Silver Member

Unhappy Leona Lewis speaks about her recent encounter with racism

Fame's taking a cruel toll on me: Leona Lewis on the vicious attack that shook her to the core | Mail Online

"It's not the first time that Leona has suffered at the hands of the public. A few months ago, she was shopping with her Guyanese-born father, Joe, in London's trendy when they were told to leave a shop because of their race. The episode affected Leona deeply, and she's emotional when she speaks about it now for the very first time.

'I went into a shop while my dad waited outside because he was on the phone,' she says. 'I picked out a few photo frames, put them on the side to buy them and asked the lady who worked there about some other stuff in the shop.

'She was incredibly stand-offish with me and I couldn't understand why. I went up to the till and, at that point, my dad came in and started looking around. He picked something up and said, "What about this?"
    'I asked how much it was, but the woman told us to get out of the shop. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and said, "Excuse me?" She said, "Get out of my store right now."

'I looked at her and asked, "Are you joking?" She said, "No, I want both of you to remove yourselves from my store." I asked her what she meant, and why, and she said, "I don't like the look of him."

Pointing at my dad, she said, "I want him to go right now." Stunned, I asked her, "What do you mean, you don't like the look of him?" She said, "You know exactly what I mean. He's been standing outside my shop and I want him to go. I know why you're coming in here."

'She was implying that we were trying to steal stuff. She came up to my face, this close.' Leona holds her hand a few inches from her face. 'She was so loud, shouting, "Get out right now or I'm going to call the police."

'It was so shocking and disgusting. I couldn't believe someone was shouting at me in front of so many people. I can't stand confrontation anyway, but she was so rude. I completely lost it. I was crying and bawling. My dad said, "Come on, let's go." I said, "No. I'm not going. I'm going to call the police. This is racism."

I was so angry. My dad had to drag me out of the shop. Afterwards, I sat in the car for ten minutes and was so upset. My dad was trying to calm me down but I was furious. What happened was awful - absolutely awful.
    'I'd never experienced anything like that, and I would never wish anyone else to. Being judged by the colour of your skin is horrible. My dad is really laid-back. He said, "Don't worry about it. I've experienced stuff like that many times, especially when I was younger, so don't be upset for me. I'm fine."

'Do you know what he did? He got my CD, went back in the shop and said, "You've just offended a really nice young lady. I just want to leave you this, so you can look and see who it is. This is my daughter. I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I wanted you to see that."'

She wouldn't last a week in some areas of the US. Honey, learn to be a bitch and put a fool in his place. Getting emotional and acting offended only gives an ass what he wants.

She's never experienced or is familiar with the concept of racism before?

Must have had a sheltered life.

Horrible...but welcome to the real world.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^ It doesn't say that.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    She's never experienced or is familiar with the concept of racism before?

Must have had a sheltered life.
    Hardly. This is one of those situations that simply does not lose it's shock value no matter how often one's been through it.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

is it her parents on the photo?

^ Yes. As for the story, she should name and shame the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    She wouldn't last a week in some areas of the US. Honey, learn to be a bitch and put a fool in his place. Getting emotional and acting offended only gives an ass what he wants.
    Exactly. Her father needs to get some backbone, too. I mean, giving a racist a copy of your daughter's CD is only going to bore them to death, not put them in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ Yes. As for the story, she should name and shame the shop!
    Agree. It's a disgusting story no matter how many times it happens.

Wow, she got slapped and now kicked out of a shop. Seems weird that stuff like this keeps happening to her.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

You cant be serious that real people would actually do this. I cant believe it. This would never happen in Australia. It couldnt. I would have got a gun and went back to the shop and say well do you like the look of this then? How dare she say those things. It cant be true. If there are people in the world that think like that ...god help us.
    Jack I swear.

Here's the thing.

While I find what she went through abhorrent, I'm not going to hide the fact that there's something about her statements and the way she went about it that kind of off puts me.

It's almost like she's saying, she's never experienced it before, and she never expected to, because of her fame and celebrity status. The fact that her father went back into the store and showed them her CD, it kind of makes me feel that due to her fame, she thought she was immune to racism or something.

Flame me all you want, but that's the impression I get.

Many people of all colors and backgrounds face prejudice, and she's acting like it doesn't exist but only now it acknowledges it because she experienced it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cheray View Post
    You cant be serious that real people would actually do this. I cant believe it. This would never happen in Australia. It couldnt. I would have got a gun and went back to the shop and say well do you like the look of this then? How dare she say those things. It cant be true. If there are people in the world that think like that ...god help us.
    Seriously? This is practically *timid*(even though it's awful) compared to some of the awful racial abuse people get. There are a lot of racists in the world unfortunately, and Australia isn't free of them either. Nowhere is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Seriously? This is practically *timid*(even though it's awful) compared to some of the awful racial abuse people get.
    Not to diminish what she went through, but I can second this. I grew up in MS, and I wouldn't have been entirely shocked (though slightly more now than 10+ years ago) to hear a "get your ****** asses out of my store"

I know more than one person my age (i.e. born in the 70's) who's had even worse/more than that hurled at them.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information