Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman Polanski arrested on 1978 US arrest warrant

Default Roman Polanski arrested on 1978 US arrest warrant

Roman Polanski has been taken into Swiss custody on a 1978 US arrest warrant, according to reports.

In a statement the Zurich Film Festival said the Oscar-winning director was held on his arrival in Switzerland.
    He was due to receive a lifetime achievement award at the event, festival organisers added.
    Polanski fled America more than 30 years ago after pleading guilty to having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
    The 76-year-old has been unable to travel to the US since the warrant was issued.
    Polanski, born in Poland and now a French citizen, has been trying to have the case thrown out.
    More to follow...

Director Polanski Arrested On 1978 Warrant - Yahoo! News UK
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Hu? The came up with this now?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

What? Was this his first time in Switzerland or something? I thought that Switzerland was supposed to be all 'Sweden' on issues?

Switzerland has an extradition treaty with the US.

I got this info from Wikipedia:
    Polanski has since avoided visits to countries that were likely to extradite him, such as the United Kingdom.
    He travels mostly between France, where he resides, and Poland. As a French citizen, he is protected by France's limited extradition with the United States, and Poland is also unlikely to extradite him. On 26 September 2009 he was arrested by authorities in Switzerland on the 1978 US arrest warrant, while travelling to the Zurich Film Festival to collect a lifetime achievement award.
    Last edited by Wiseguy; September 27th, 2009 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    What? Was this his first time in Switzerland or something? I thought that Switzerland was supposed to be all 'Sweden' on issues?
    My thoughts exactly. The Swiss seem to soften their own approach on international politics. More and more accomodating behavior latley. They announced a losening of their bank secrecy just the other day. I wonder if this is a general trend.

Anyway, it always amazed me that Polanski got away with it for so long.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

It depends if the girl will testify after all this time (I thought she said she wouldn't.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Anyway, it always amazed me that Polanski got away with it for so long.
    I agree. He needs to serve time for this, just like any other offender would.

Polanski has not had an easy life. He had a dreadful childhood. His parents were captured by the Nazi's in Krakow and held in concentration camps. His father survived his ordeal there, but his mother died in Auschwitz in 1942. Roman lived in the ghetto, often sleeping on the streets in the dead of winter, and was able to survive only by the help of Polish Roman Catholic families who helped him.

In 1969, his wife, Sharon Tate was about to give birth to their child when she was brutally murdered by the Manson family while at home with their friends, who were also murdered.

^^ Funny coincidence that he was arrested at the exact same time that Tate's murder died.

Murderer Susan Atkins finally on her way to hell
    -Bugdoll-

Oh, dear. I agree: he needs to serve time for the committed crime, even though
    the girl in question and the family/mother have said the following:

Polanski's victim is among those calling for the case to be tossed out.

Samantha Geimer filed court papers in January saying, "I am no longer a 13-year-old child. I have dealt with the difficulties of being a victim, have surmounted and surpassed them with one exception.

"Every time this case is brought to the attention of the Court, great focus is made of me, my family, my mother and others. That attention is not pleasant to experience and is not worth maintaining over some irrelevant legal nicety, the continuation of the case."

Geimer, now 45, married and a mother of three, sued Polanski and received an undisclosed settlement. She long ago came forward and made her identity public -- mainly, she said, because she was disturbed by how the criminal case had been handled.
    I just hope Polanski's pals, Jack Nicholson and especially Warren Beatty,
    will NOT butt in on his behalf, no matter how loyal they are in their
    friendships. I think only those directly involved have that right.
    Otherwise, let justice run its course.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ^^ Funny coincidence that he was arrested at the exact same time that Tate's murder died.

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/news/113607-murderer-susan-atkins-finally-her-way-hell.html
    Well spotted, Chilly. Polanski was arrested 26th September, 2009. Susan Atkins (Tate's killer) died 24th September, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Well spotted, Chilly. Polanski was arrested 26th September, 2009. Susan Atkins (Tate's killer) died 24th September, 2009.

And, now Howard Stern is charged over Anna Nicole Smith's death

Polanski fled the U.S. in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the underage girl. The director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn a judges' refusal to throw out his case. He claims misconduct by the now-deceased judge who had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.

In 1977, he was accused of raping the teenager while photographing her during a modeling session. The girl said Polanski plied her with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away. She said that, despite her protests, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her.
    Polanski was allowed to plead guilty to one of six charges, unlawful sexual intercourse, and was sent to prison for 42 days of evaluation.
    Lawyers agreed that would be his full sentence, but the judge tried to renege on the plea bargain. Aware the judge would sentence him to more prison time and require his voluntary deportation, Polanski fled to France.
    Swiss arrest Polanski on US request in sex case - Yahoo! News

Nasty guy, I don't care how 'talented' or whatever his background was. A rapist is a rapist, and I don't see how his celebrity status should affect anyone's view on this.

Outrageous behavior. He is a coward of the worst kind. Talent cannot excuse this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's way past time for Polanski to meet with some justice. His "difficult" background mitigates nothing. Some conspiracists believe he allowed the death of Sharon Tate (although if that were so, I'd think he was just another pawn in a bigger game, but anywayz ...). A lot of the articles on this latest arrest begin by saying what a fine director he is, as if that fact is more important than his criminality. I seriously doubt this quaalude rape of a young girl was an isolated incident.

I, too, wonder why Switzerland isn't just looking the other way, but in truth this arrest gives me a faint hope that maybe not every nation's government is wholly corrupt.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    It's way past time for Polanski to meet with some justice. His "difficult" background mitigates nothing. Some conspiracists believe he allowed the death of Sharon Tate (although if that were so, I'd think he was just another pawn in a bigger game, but anywayz ...). A lot of the articles on this latest arrest begin by saying what a fine director he is, as if that fact is more important than his criminality. I seriously doubt this quaalude rape of a young girl was an isolated incident.

I, too, wonder why Switzerland isn't just looking the other way, but in truth this arrest gives me a faint hope that maybe not every nation's government is wholly corrupt.
    I totally agree. The 'celebrity' factor. Another thing they like to bring up is, oh, but she (the victim) wants to let it go, so the authorities/law should let it go.

So, should the likes of people as in the Duggard case or other crimes go free or face no punishment because their victims say so?

I don't care how long ago this happened, a rapist is a rapist, no double standards.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information