Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artist recreates Jade Goody's final moments in controversial live art exhibition

Default Artist recreates Jade Goody's final moments in controversial live art exhibition

An artist has recreated Jade Goody's deathbed - and dying moments - in a controversial exhibition.
    The Re-enactment of the Death of Jade Goody featured actors playing the parts of the late reality TV star, her husband Jack Tweed and mother Jackiey Budden.
    Each performer wore a cardboard box with a photograph of their 'character' over their head.

Final hours: The live art exhibition depicted Jade Goody's deathbed with her husband Jack Tweed and mother Jackiey Budden at her side

The set featured a double bed which the artist playing Jade lay on while those depicting Jack and Jackiey sat at the bedside holding her hand.
    Around 200 people attended the two-hour performance on Sunday evening, which has already led to a backlash with some critics saying it's in poor taste.
    Artist and creator Mark McGowan admitted his exhibition was 'provocative' - but claimed it was intended to be a tribute to Jade, who died of cervical cancer on Mothering Sunday aged 27.
    'I understand it's provocative and sometime that is my aim, to provoke people,' the 37-year-old told Mail Online.

Courting controversy: Artist and creator Mark McGowan puts a cardboard box in place over the head of the performer playing Jade

'I've been accused of jumping on the Jade Goody bandwagon, but the truth is I think people are just too hung up about death in this country.
    'I admired Jade and believe she was an artist herself in the way she performed before the media.
    'Many of the spectators at last night's exhibition were very moved by what they saw.
    'People walked out of the room, telling me it brought back memories of when their mother died... or their brother died.'

Tribute: But Mr McGowan insists the live art-piece is a tribute to the reality star

The live art-piece had no dialogue or sound and was instead designed to be a tableau representation of what the mother-of-two's final hours may have looked like.
    While some may view the use of cardboard boxes, with photographs stuck on, as cheap or in bad taste, Mr McGowan defended his presentational techniques.
    'Some people have said to me, "why have you used cardboard boxes for their heads, that's awful," said the art lecturer, who teaches at the Camberwell College of Art and at Chelsea College in London.
    'But my argument is that the cardboard box serves to disengage the spectator from the actor and makes them fully focused on who they are playing.'

Life in art: Around 200 people went to see the installation last night in East London

The show was put on last night in the basement of the the Guy Hilton Gallery in East London.
    People were brought down in small groups and Mr McGowan said each spectator spent varying amounts of time viewing the scene.
    He added: 'Jade became this iconic figure through the media and people could only relate to her through that medium.
    'But what last night showed was that in the end she was just a normal 27-year-old girl who died of cancer.'
    Other projects by Mr McGowan, who lives in Peckham in South London, includes a Re-enactment of the Death of Jean Charles de Menezes.

A step too far? Artist recreates Jade Goody's final moments in controversial live art exhibition | Mail Online

Elite Member

Ugh. Are you kidding me? I am so not a fan of shock art. I gotta leave this thread.

For crying out loud.

OMG. This is creepy and just a nightmare-not art.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Next up, the biopic. And after that, the posthumous knighthood (or whatever they do for females).

WHO FUCKING GIVES A SHIT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez-fucking-ziz!!!!!!!!!!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

JFC she was a gross ignorant racist, right? There is more to life than dying; its the way you lived your life that matters... right??? If not then we are quite screwed, no?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I could piss on a wall and call it art, that doesn't mean it is.

i think it's hilarious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I could piss on a wall and call it art, that doesn't mean it is.

I was about to type something to that effect but you said it better.

Why not? She turned her own death into a circus (while making a profit).
    ssabmud

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think it's hilarious.

holy shit so do i! hahahaha...boxes on their heads!

I'm more shocked that people are STILL wasting time talking about Goody.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

i shocked that this is actually called art... im even more shocked that there is a blank canvas with a tiny red square in the centre that is being displayed in the Qld Art Gallery. WTF is the world coming to??
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

It's disgusting. Then again she put her final days on TV, so nothing is sacred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information