Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father arrested over allegations he tried to 'sell' his Slumdog Millionaire daughter

Default Father arrested over allegations he tried to 'sell' his Slumdog Millionaire daughter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz....html?ITO=1490

The father of a child actress in the film Slumdog Millionaire has been arrested over allegations that he offered to sell her for £200,000.

Rafiq Qureshi, who lives in poverty in Mumbai, reportedly attempted to trade nine-year-old Rubina Ali in an illegal adoption deal.

Rubina played the young heroine Letika in the movie, which has grossed £185million worldwide and swept the board at the Oscars.

Squalor: Rubina in the slums where her home is a hut

Qureshi is said to have been arrested after a complaint was made by the girl’s mother.
    He has dismissed the allegations and insists he is being framed.
    He said: ‘These reports are not true. I went to the hotel to shoot an ad film. I would never sell my daughter.’

It had been hoped that the film's success would transform Rubina's life.

But her father and an uncle were said to have claimed that they are being forced to put her up for sale because the family has not received enough of the proceeds.

They were accused of using her fame as a bargaining tool to push up the price they can get for her - first asking £50,000 and later quadrupling the amount.

The uncle, Moihuddin Qureshi, was said to have told an undercover reporter: 'The child is special now. This is not an ordinary child. This is an Oscar child.'

The claims were made following a 'sting' operation by the News of the World, which said it had been alerted that the child was for sale in a tip-off from a former family neighbour.

It was reported that the little girl, her father and uncles all went to a hotel to meet the 'prospective buyers', supposedly a family from Dubai, to discuss the deal in detail.

'Loving': Rafiq with daughter Rubina. Her father has angrily denied that he is trying to sell her

A source close to the family told the Daily Mail: 'Rafiq was told to bring Rubina to the hotel, where a rich man wanted to discuss a job with him.

'He happily agreed because Rubina can earn good money since her Slumdog success. She has had many movie offers. Rafiq didn't understand everything that was being said to him but he was happy to discuss money for a well-paying job for his daughter. He loves her like any father loves his daughter.

According to the News of the World, Mr Qureshi is desperate to make the most of his daughter's success and get them out of their hut in the Mumbai slum known as Poor Man's Colony.

It claimed he had already been approached by a family from Dubai, but was hoping to start a bidding war.

Rafiq allegedly directed a reporter to his brother-in-law Rajan More, who said: 'Rubina's life is miserable. Obviously if you wanted to adopt, we could discuss this, but her parents would expect some proper compensation return. We are talking around £50,000 for this to happen.'

Enlarge
    Golden girl: Rubina achieved Oscar success but still lives in the Mumbai slums

Later Rafiq added: 'Whatever money you have agreed with Rajan, I will accept. There is a lot of interest in Rubina - she has become very famous.'

Trafficking of poor children from across the Asian sub continent has become an increasing problem.

Some are sold to the Middle East where they are forced to risk their lives as camel jockeys or subjected to sexual exploitation and abuse.

The shack that Rubina calls home is yards from an open sewer. There was an outcry after pictures emerged of her and co-star Azharuddin Mohammed, who played the young Salim, living in squalor despite the film's success.

Both families have consistently complained that the filmmakers have abandoned them to their fate.

Producer Christian Colson told the Daily Mail last night: 'We have friends and colleagues in Bombay who are trying to speak with Mr Qureshi to get to the bottom of what happened. Her family is under a lot of pressure.'

Riches to rags: Rubina's family are said to be angry they still live in poverty despite the film's global success

He and director Danny Boyle are planning next month to visit the young stars, who were plucked off the street for auditions to star in the film.

Mr Colson added: 'Danny and I are committed to Rubina and Azharuddin for the long term. We are trying to keep a roof over their heads, and keep them in school until they are 18. The problem is there are a lot of parties who are telling the parents different things.

'We agreed to buy apartments a couple of months ago but that process stalled because they decided they wanted the money up front instead.

'In the past few days we have got things back on track, and are now back looking at apartments.'

The film makers have set up a trust to give a lump sum to each child when they are 18.

Properties will also be placed in trust, with ownership released to the parents only when the children turn 18 and have completed their education.

Mr Colson added: 'We can't buy the properties outright and give them to them, because in all honesty they will sell them.'

Oscar success: Rubina (centre) with the other young stars of the award-winning flim

Ugh get that little girl away from him!

Remember the protests against this movie in India? They were worried about perception?

Seems it came around to bite them in the butts.

So sad that children-especially girls are still regarded as property by some people there.

There's another thread on this: Rubina Ali's father tried to sell her

I bet Danny Boyle is wishing he had hired child actors for these roles instead of real slum kids. It's a shame the way they're being exploited by their families.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I love how they are planning to buy apartments for the families but are preparing trusts to ensure they kids must stay in school and keeping the money for the kids in trust so the parents can't spend it. These kids will be grateful when they become adults.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I wish they would all just shut up about these kids, this movie, and anything related.

These kids aren't the first, nor will the be the last to struggle.

If they want to do good by them, then donate some of the 185 MILLION that the movie made, and get them the hell out of the huts.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I love how they are planning to buy apartments for the families but are preparing trusts to ensure they kids must stay in school and keeping the money for the kids in trust so the parents can't spend it. These kids will be grateful when they become adults.
    Yeah because living in squalor until you are 18 years old is sooooo much better. There was a study that demonstrated that children who are raised in poverty learn less than children who are not because the stress inhibits how much information their minds can retain. It was summarized in the Economist magazine if you want to check it out. In order to make a positive impact on a child's life you have to raise their standard of living at home- not just cover schooling.

Maybe he should have hired child actors. Poor people don't feel dissatisfaction until they see a better standard of living. Then they do everything they can to attain it.

Also Danny's movie showed what it was like in the slums- those kids are the product of the slums- what makes you think that their fate will be any different than the protagonists in that movie if they don't get out of the slums.

^
    Very true, one of the reasons I have no desire to see this movie at all.

I don't think anyone involved with this movie ever imagined it would be this big, much less win the best-picture Oscar.

But I do agree it was a mistake to bring these kids to Hollywood only to dump them back in the slums.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

stress inhibits how much information their minds can retain
    - so that's why I have no desire to learn!

Hit By Ban Bus!

this movie ended up being a cluster f for the director and producers.. they wanted to make a movie not become a spokes person for child rights in India.
    It is sad, it is horrible but it is the truth of some places in the world - why are people so freaked suddenly, like they didn't know what "poor" was? They opened up a can of worms now aunts, uncles, moms, dads and everyone body in their brother will expect some sort of payment and will spend a great deal of time trying to come up with a reason for getting their "share"

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Yeah because living in squalor until you are 18 years old is sooooo much better. There was a study that demonstrated that children who are raised in poverty learn less than children who are not because the stress inhibits how much information their minds can retain. It was summarized in the Economist magazine if you want to check it out. In order to make a positive impact on a child's life you have to raise their standard of living at home- not just cover schooling.

Maybe he should have hired child actors. Poor people don't feel dissatisfaction until they see a better standard of living. Then they do everything they can to attain it.

Also Danny's movie showed what it was like in the slums- those kids are the product of the slums- what makes you think that their fate will be any different than the protagonists in that movie if they don't get out of the slums.

Please take time to read the full article. Then you would see that he said he plans to buy an apartment for the parents so the kids will not be raised in squalor. I also poitned that out in my post if you had read it. He plans to protect the kids by putting the apartments in trust so their parents can't sell them before the kids are 18 and have finsihed their education. I believe that is a very responsible way for Danny to handle the situation.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Gold Member

Why are the producers of a film expected to support the minor co-stars until they are 18? Did they not get paid for their roles? Is it in their contracts that they are to support them further? Is this standard practice for all minor actors in a movie, no matter what their standard of living is?

thought not

Very good points Pookie. They had no obligation to do anything other than pay them. I am not sure if India has laws to protect the child's income. I think it goes well above and beyond to set up trust funds for these kids, to buy apartments for their familes and to hold it in trust contigient upon completing their education.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by pookie207 View Post
    Why are the producers of a film expected to support the minor co-stars until they are 18? Did they not get paid for their roles? Is it in their contracts that they are to support them further? Is this standard practice for all minor actors in a movie, no matter what their standard of living is?

thought not
    Maybe Madge should adopt them.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Please take time to read the full article. Then you would see that he said he plans to buy an apartment for the parents so the kids will not be raised in squalor. I also poitned that out in my post if you had read it. He plans to protect the kids by putting the apartments in trust so their parents can't sell them before the kids are 18 and have finsihed their education. I believe that is a very responsible way for Danny to handle the situation.
    I did read the article. He didn't purchase an apartment (yet) and refused to give the parents the money up front. In the US, the parents have the right to manage the earnings for the benefit of the family. Granted, these people are probably going to squander the money, however to purchase an apartment with no aid to the family- how is this not going to breed resentment? It doesn't even make sense when you think about it- parents are going to work their slum jobs during the day and use their meager earnings to support their children's basic needs. They are not even going to fit in with the other inhabitants of the apartment complex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information