Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Da fuck happened to Sammy Sosa?

Skin rejuvenation? MJ stole the vitiligo excuse so Sammy had to come up with an excuse that was equally ridiculous.

Anybody think it could be something like a chemical peel or laser resurfacing? Some kind of treatment where the top layer of skin is scrubbed or burned off? (Where is tonja lasagna? She might be able to shed light on that question.) That, combined with bad makeup, I might buy.

But those are definitely contacts, which still makes me think this is all cosmetic, he wants to be what he is not: light-skinned and light-eyed. That's what I think is a shame. I'm not black but I am Mexican and I hate it when people try to erase their ethnic features just to be "whiter." Why can't you be proud of your skin color, it implies there's something wrong with it and I hate that message.

Those are the mixed messages that society sends out. Dark-skinned people are told that they should be lighter, while light-skinned people/whites are told they should get tans to be darker. It's all screwed up.
    Fran likes this.

Looking back at Sammy Sosa's pics, it makes me wonder if he uses L-Glutathione pills. These pills detoxify the liver and the side effect is the lightening of the skin.

(My apologies. I looked for better before & after pics of L-Glutathione users and these were the ones I found.)
    Rock the fuck on!

Wow, I've never heard of that heartleigh! Interesting, good research. Is it commonly used for skin-lightening purposes by people who don't need liver detoxification? Or is it only by prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Those are the mixed messages that society sends out. Dark-skinned people are told that they should be lighter, while light-skinned people/whites are told they should get tans to be darker. It's all screwed up.
    Yeah, it is all screwed up alright. Total bs too. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of that heartleigh! Interesting, good research. Is it commonly used for skin-lightening purposes by people who don't need liver detoxification? Or is it only by prescription?
    Bee, I know a bit about the L-Glutathione pills because I've seen ads for this in Filipino magazines I've read. Skin lightening is an obsession in many Asian countries. The thing is, you don't need a prescription at all. That's the scary part as there are many fake L-Glutathione pills out there.
    Rock the fuck on!

Sheesh. Well I hope it's safe if it's such an obsession in those markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Sheesh. Well I hope it's safe if it's such an obsession in those markets.
    From what I've read about these L-Glutathione pills, it's a food supplement so it seems to be okay as it only lightens skin. However, I don't know about the effects after prolonged use. Also, I just found out fake L-Glutathione pills may cause whitening of the hair and acne.
    Rock the fuck on!

He needs to stop messing with his skin.
    Those contacts look estupido.

Sammy Sosa's new skin reflects an ugly mentality
    By David A. Love
    9:15 AM on 11/09/2009

Sammy Sosa with his wife, Sonia Sosa on May 13, 2009 in New York on the left and on November 4, 2009 in Las Vegas on the right. (Kevork Djansezian via Getty Images and Sipa via AP Images)

Many have been shocked to see recent photos of retired major league baseball player Sammy Sosa. Not only is he wearing green contact lenses, but his skin tone is considerably lighter than usual, something which he claims is the result of a skin "rejuvenation" process, some reports say. The once dark-complexioned, undeniably African-looking Sosa now looks more like Ricky Ricardo from "I Love Lucy". As the late Nigerian activist and musician Fela Kuti would have said, it appears that Sosa is guilty of having a "colonial mentality."

Throughout the African diaspora, black people internalized the racism they experienced under slavery and colonial rule. Bad habits are hard to break, and there is still self-hatred among black people today. With years of conditioning, societies were made to believe that blackness was bad, and anything associated with blackness was inferior and undesirable.

This problem is also prevalent in Latin America. For example, Brazil has the largest black population outside of the African continent at 90 million, which amounts to roughly half of its people. Yet, despite their conspicuous presence in society, black Brazilians face discrimination, poverty, and lower education and health standards than whites. According to a "racial atlas" created by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Federal University of Minas Gerais, 65 percent of the poor and 70 percent of the extremely poor in Brazil are of African descent.

In the Dominican Republic, Sosa's country of origin, people are overwhelmingly black: 90 percent have African ancestry. Yet only 11 percent identify themselves as black. And as UN experts found, there is "a profound and entrenched problem of racism and discrimination against such groups as Haitians, Dominicans of Haitian descent, and more generally against blacks within Dominican society."

A strong anti-Haitian sentiment is rooted in the country's history. Haiti is a former colonizer of the Dominican Republic, as was Spain. Yet, Dominicans only celebrate their independence from Haiti. Haitian cultural practices are viewed as inferior. The government has engaged in mass deportations of Haitians - and sometimes Dominicans mistaken for Haitians - while also attempting to deny citizenship to the Dominican-born children of so-called "illegal" Haitian immigrants.

But a large reason for this hatred of Haitians is a denial of Dominicans' own African origin. Simply put, sometimes it is difficult to stare at oneself in the mirror. For years, under the Hispanidad movement, the government of the Dominican Republic emphasized the nation's white, Spanish and Catholic heritage, and conveniently left out the black part.

The Dominican Republic is a nation whose hairdressers are known for their hair-straightening prowess and most Dominican women get their hair straightened. Although dark folks are the overwhelming majority, black skin, wide noses and 'pelo malo' (bad hair) do not fit the standard of beauty. So, hair relaxers and skin whiteners are in, and people will call themselves a number of things, such as Indian, burned Indian, Moreno and cinnamon - anything but negro (the Spanish word), or black. This is what years of submerging your culture will do.

Certainly, the U.S. is not immune from this color-coded mentality. African-Americans historically internalized racism by pitting light-skinned blacks against dark-skinned ones, and using paper bag tests for admission to exclusive clubs. Black newspapers and magazines in the 1920s through the 1960s often featured advertisements for skin bleaching creams. Typically, with promises of "lighter, brighter skin," these ads blatantly associated white skin with beauty and success, and depicted dark skin as ugly. Meanwhile, people of color in America still fight against the Madison Avenue standard of beauty, which usually takes the form of a malnourished white blond fashion model with slight facial features.

Sadly, some celebrities of color join in the color-coded madness by lightening up and going under the knife themselves. And people of all colors and ethnicities risk mutilating their faces and bodies to look like distorted cartoon characters.

Sammy Sosa and others must realize that try as you might, you cannot bleach out your history.

Sammy Sosa's new skin reflects an ugly mentality

Sammy Sosa Breaks the Silence on Skin Bleaching - HispanicBusiness.com

Retired Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa broke his silence this week on the widespread speculation over photos depicting what appears to be his lighter-complected face, assuring Univision he does not have a skin disease, but admitting that he does use a bleaching cream to "soften his skin."

The media firestorm was sparked by his appearance two weeks ago at a gala honoring singer/songwriter Juan Gabriel as the Latin Grammy Awards' 2009 Person of the Year.

In a photo Sosa took with his wife, Sonia, the color of Sosa's normally dark skin had an unusual pallor, prompting many to speculate that he is whitening his skin, a la the late Michael Jackson.

In an intertview Tuesday on the Univision program "Primer Impacto," Sosa, 41, told reporter Tony Dandrades that he does not suffer from vitiligo, which plagued Jackson.

"I'm doing well, doing well, thanks to God," he said in the Spanish interview.

Sosa went on to say that he does use a product on his skin, though he declined to name it.

"It's a bleaching cream that I apply before going to bed and whitens my skin some," he said. "When I was playing for Chicago all those years, I was in the sun a lot for 1 o'clock games."

He added that the flashes from the cameras in the photo shoot also made his skin look lighter.

"I'm surprised with the controversy this has caused."

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOBB8VjV2G4&feature=player_embedded#at=11[/YOUTUBE]

assuring Univision he does not have a skin disease, but admitting that he does use a bleaching cream to "soften his skin."

Since when does bleaching cream 'soften your skin?'

"It's a bleaching cream that I apply before going to bed and whitens my skin some," he said. "When I was playing for Chicago all those years, I was in the sun a lot for 1 o'clock games."

He must have been playing in the sun inside his mother's uterus, too. Because he's always been dark.

I've tanned, dyed my hair, and worn colored contacts in the past. It's fun to change my look. I know it seems to set people off more when people of color do it, but if people want to lighten/darken their skin or change their look, it doesn't bother me.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

relaxed hair, colored contacts, lightening skin....someone's ashamed of their ethnicity and thats sad!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information