Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Warren Beatty [Actor]

^Well, at least the old geezer can tell he stood side by side with the President-elect, Joe Biden, at John McCain's funeral.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

R.I.P. Larry King. His 1990 interview with that other old, decrepit, guy WB at the release of Dick Tracy.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    The year 1990 (release). The title "Dick Tracy". Warren Beatty fulfilled a childhood dream making a movie version of the comic strip by which he learned to read at age 4 (although in the later quoted Larry King interview he talks about learning to read at age 6, his parents were both educators and had great ambitions for their kids, so teeny tiny Warren first learned how to read at age 4). The movie starred his then squeeze Madonna in probably the only movie part in which what she does actually resembles acting and she, quite possibly, looked her best (thanks to great make-up artists, no doubt). Their relationship was more a mutual convenience than a real deep love, although apparently Madonna was overheard saying at the time she wanted Beatty to father her/a child(ren).
    Madonna turned out to be too crude for Beatty, who - in true Professor Higgins fashion - tried to install some class into her, to no avail.
    He should be thanking his lucky stars that she dumped him.

A little over a year later he DID find a woman with a bit more refinement, intelligence and class in Annette Bening, born in the same year as
    Madonna, so also 21 years his junior. They turned out to be a match made in heaven and soon it was Annette who was expecting Beatty's
    first (of four) child, much to Madonna's chagrin.

About the movie: details can be read in a transcript of his promo visit on Larry King Live in 1990 below (I received it together with a DVD
    recording of the show and he's terribly cute and shy in it. Thanks to my friend for hooking me up with it, and thanks to whomever took
    the trouble to transcribe it. It must have been hell, considering it was transcribed ver batim and considering that Beatty stutters and
    stammers like crazy )
    Anyway: it's a visually gorgeously styled movie, all born in that very creative brain of Mr. Gorgeous. He followed the comic strip by heart,
    so it's not a sensationalized, pimped up, computer generated thing, but more an artistic hommage to it. A genius concept, a fantastic
    cast of the biggest names, a - true to comic strips - simple story of good and evil and nice music. Typically Beatty, he surrounded himself
    with people he worked with before, in front of and behind the cameras.
    So you'll see some of his co-stars from "Bonnie&Clyde (Estelle Parsons and his friend since 1959 Michael J. Pollard), "McCabe and Mrs. Miller"
    (John Schuck), "Ishtar" (very good pal Dustin Hoffman), "Heaven Can Wait" (R.G. Armstrong) and good friends and future co-stars "Bulworth"
    (Paul Sorvino). Despite the fact that Warren so quite rarely makes movies, his reputation as an excellent film maker always assures the
    biggest names to be jumping at the chance to work with him!

He also cast many old (semi) retired Hollywood actors in bit parts such as Ian Wolfe (1896-1992) who had a bit part in Warren's movie
    "The Fortune" in 1975 and also starred as bit player in over 200 movies since 1934, including "Now Voyager", "A Place In The Sun", "Les
    Miserables", "Houdini", "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", "Rebel without a Cause", as well as guest star in dozens of tv-shows
    from the 1950's until the 1980's.
    Henry Jones (1912-1999), a well known actor who played small parts in almost 200 movies including "The Girl He Left Behind", "Vertigo", "Butch Cassidy&The Sundance Kid", "Stay Away Joe", as well as guest star in dozens of tv-shows from the 1950's until the 1990's.
    Mike Mazurki (1907-1990), played in more than 140 Hollywood productions including "Gentleman Jim", "The Canterville Ghost", "Dick Tracy" (in 1945!), "Samson and Delilah", "Some Like it Hot", as well as guest star in dozens of tv-shows from the 1950's until the 1980's.
    Enjoy!
    TRANSCRIPT BY Patricia Mully

Larry King Live, June 1990, Warren Beatty's first appearance on the show

LK= Larry King WB= Warren Beatty

LK: Why Dick Tracy? How did you get a concept like that: 'I wanna do Dick Tracy?' Why not Daredevil? Green Lantern?

WB: When I was a kid, I began to read on Dick Tracy, so, it was a world for me...And so I think it was just something
    about me that wanted to go back and... (his microphone falls off his lapel )

LK: We always in NY have mike problems. That's the problem with being live. Let's try to put that back on.... So, when you
    say 'learned to read by reading Dick Tracy, you mean he was our first image?

WB: Well, when I was 5 or 6 years old, 7 years old, I started reading Dick Tracy. Yeah. So uh, I have an affection for the guy.

LK: Okay, but why now? Why would a comic strip say as a movie, in 1990 make it? Did you think of it in 1980?

WB: Well, uh, people came to me with Dick Tracy for years...

LK: Really?

WB: I uh, I never quite saw myself playing Dick Tracy, cos I thought I didn't look like him. Then I realized nobody looked
    like him, so I thought well, mmmmmmmight as well be me instead of somebody else, so uh (mike falls off again, King starts grabbing
    WB's lapel and the microphone, WB starts blushing ) so uh...

LK: I think what we're gonna do is tape this...

WB:..... and so... (blushing, embarrassed smile)

LK: Who finally said... Who finally convinced you that not only should you do this, but you should write it and direct it?

WB: Well, there was a very good script written by a couple of writers named Cash and Epps (sp) and I took that and worked
    with it, and uh, actually I'd always rather have another director but uh, I uh, I uh, wound up directing it myself because uh,
    I just uh, wanted to get started with the movie and at the same time I'd developed a concept that I didn't want to foist on
    somebody else so.... It's less fun to act and direct at the same time... but....

LK: I would imagine that...So, you would rather have been directed?

WB: Yeah, it's more fun.

LK: Did you have someone in mind?

WB: Oh, a lot of people.

LK: Did you contact anyone?

WB: Yeah, I asked... yeah, yeah...

LK: Then what happened?

WB: Marty Scorsese was gonna do it for a while, and then I had to go off and do another movie and he uh, he uh, uh, uh..... got
    mixed up in other movies, so uh, Marty didn't do it, and a number of other people but finally it just seemed the best way to do it
    was to go ahead and do it myself.

LK: What clamps does that put on you, though, as an actor? I mean, are you a fellow actor with your other actors? Or are you
    their boss?

WB: Well, in a way it's a little bit like Tracy was himself in those, amidst all those villains. Uuuuuh, Tracy was kind of a stolid guy in
    the middle of the strip and all those bad guys and interesting characters ran around him, so, so I always get, when I direct and
    act, I'm always more interested in all the other actors for some reason. They entertain me, you know? It's kinda hard to entertain
    yourself.

LK: So, you're watching them?

WB: Yeah, I watch them. I'm a reactive actor. And I, I watch the other actors. You know, you get me Pacino and and I'm awake
    for the day. Or Dustin, Madonna or Glenne Headley who's about as witty as, as an actress comes, you know? Charlie Korsmo as
    kid, Mandy Patinkin, Bill Forsyth, Seymour Cassell.....

LK: Those are brilliant people...

WB: It's a terrific cast. I got lucky. Charlie Durning, Eddo Ross....

LK: Jackie Gleason told me once that good acting is reacting. And a good actor always wants the other person to be
    super...

WB: Well, particulary if he's directing, because uh there's a, little, little added impetus there but uh, if you....it's hard to be bad in a
    scene with say Al or Dustin...

LK: Even though you know at times you and he are in the scene, and we're watching him? And that's okay with you?

WB: Oh, sure, oh, sure! Yeah, yeah. It's uh, it's uh, it's just more fun. And the more fun you have, in this kind of picture, the
    better off you are.

LK: Okay, now when you're doing this, you're acting in this scene, and you're also the director, you have to visualize it. You also got
    to see it as I will eventually see it. How do you do all those 3 things at once?

WB: Well, it's tough. Iiiiiit's crazy. It's....Actually it isn't done. We only say we do it But, but we device, we who act and direct
    at the same time, means of pretending that we are actually directing.

LK: Explain that.

WB: Well, if you're really a good actor you don't watch yourself. You watch the other people. You don't know what you're doing.
    For instance I'm, I'm here talking to you now. As, as a good actor, I don't see what I'm doing. I see you, I have a vague idea there's
    somebody else over here. But I don't really see myself. That is if I'm really talking to you.

LK: And you're really reacting to me.

WB: Well, if I got self conscious all of a sudden, you know, then maybe I'm lookin' at myself. I really shouldn't do that.
    So, but as a, as a director, I could be over there and watch two people here. And so what you.... and again acting is...Ideally if
    you're acting you're gonna be out of control a little bit. But somewhat in control of being out of control.

LK: Because a good actor can't know what's gonna happen the next minute, right?

WB: That's, that's, that's ideal. That's ideal. And if you're directing you should be a little bit in control, but you shouldn't be totally in
    control, you should be flexible or else you restrain your actors. So, you're in control of being out of control, or out of control of
    being in control. It's schizophrenic.

LK: Sounds perfectly perfectly schiz.

WB: It's crazy.

LK: And you're in a crazy business, aren't you?

WB: Yes.

LK: I mean, being somebody else is crazy.

WB: Well, I don't know. Crazy... it's, it's an art form too. I don't want to be disrespectful to the form.

LK: No, I know, but if you're 6 years old and you're learning to read by this guy...and now you're him!

WB: Yeah, it's strange (laughs).

LK: Do you like the attention Touchstone has given this film? From a standpoint as an actor?

WB: Well, I... you know... uh.... yes! I, I, I mean, it's pretty.... nice to have a thing open and be a big hit. And uhm, I credit them,
    I can't say that I credit myself or, or, or this comic strip that was sort of a character that hasn't been well... that hasn't been
    remembered well, there was no...there was no television series on Dick Tracy preceeding it the way that some other things did have
    and so I think they did a great job.

LK: And all the merchandising going on... I mean sometimes when someone is shy, and you're basically terribly shy...

WB: (blushing) Well, I don't know....

LK: ... you might say 'I don't want all of this.'

WB: Well, I, I, I, I....... don't, I, I don't know how uh.....how... I don't know how (long pause as he gets stuck on the letter p )
    See, I don't believe in all this pppppublicity iiiiin relation to movies themselves, because I think that uh... that movies should be
    perceived on their own. And talking like this sort of obliterates the movie...So I, I, if you have an affection for a movie, it's like a little
    soufle, going out and doing....ppppppublicity is like stamping your foot in the kitchen. But I think uh, the reality of life is that you
    have to do it now and if people have put up a lot of money to make a movie, you should go out and do it. And I, I didn't do it for 12
    or 13 years and I think I probably was making uh, a foolish mistake because uh, uh it's just uh part of the game, you know, to come
    out and do all these prints and pictures and, and, and...

LK: But that creates the interest, right? And eventually brings the 7 dollars and....

WB: Well, it's very good for business. It's very good for the movie business. It's very good for making a lot of money. I don't know
    how good it is for the making of movies as a, what David Lean called 'the great near art form of the 20th century', and uh, I think
    it would be better if we weren't out there selling movies as if they were fast food, because uh, I think it would be better if we had the
    time to adjust to a movie and learn a little bit about the movies, and then gradually be compelled to go and see a movie and not in a
    week, or two weeks, or three weeks. But, I think I have been pretty lucky, on this movie, because I made it with a company that
    actually knows how to do that stuff brilliantly well. That's their business and I take my hat off to them, and..... So, I'm going around
    talking anyway. I stopped doing interviews for 12 or 13 years, you know, because I just thought... that people were just creating it
    out of whole cloth and misquoted you and took you out of context..and it was embarrassing to me, so I dropped out of it.
    Now I think that that is a mistake because I think uh... if you don't do interviews, they'll just make up the quotes and make up the
    stories and do whatever they wanna do anyway.... So...uh...you'll be ...uh...the... the foot will be stamped in the kitchen and the
    souffle will drop anyway, you might as well stamp your own foot and maybe wear a tennis shoe.

LK: Why don't you like.... most people, most people, like to be asked about what they do.

WB: I like to be asked about what I do, I love to talk. I..I... was looking forward to talking to you. I watch your show. You know
    I think you're a very good interviewer. We met for only a tiny instant at the Tyson fight and I told you I thought you were a good
    interviewer because you actually listen to people. And uh I, I like that. I respect that and uh... (snickers) I always did want to talk to
    you, actually. I just don't approve of movie pub...publicity. It's political.... it's not...cultural...uh it's not.... it has not to do with
    the....the ... pppperception of, of, of the movies as art, but that sounds a little prudish on my part, and so I'll, I'll, I'll just shut up
    about it.

LK: So, you mean maybe you'd like to come back when there's no Warren Beatty film out?

WB: I don't think you would enjoy that a lot. I think that I'm gonna start talking...publicly more because I am just sick of reading the
    crap that I read that I was supposed to have said or the stuff that I did....

LK: How do you put up with that, when you read, an obvious lie. I'm not talking about the truth. The truth can be painful, but at least
    it's the truth. What about when you read 'Warren Beatty was with this person, wasn't with that person. He did this or he didn't do
    that.' How do you deal with that?

WB: Well, I think I'm lucky to..to be famous. I'm lucky to have had the career that I have. And, and uh.. I, I, I...I... I .... what I really
    believe is that Justice Black was right when he said we should have no libel laws. I think we would all be a lot better off if there were
    absolutely no... no libel laws. First Amendment absolute. Say what you wanna say, that's your problem. Let the buyer beware what is
    said. But unfortunately we do have libel laws. And so people think if things are printed about you that aren't true, you would sue!
    Well, if you really advocate the First Amendment, as I do, you don't want around...want to run around suing people. You want to
    protect the, the, the, the, ability of the press to write the truth, so....you get all torn up about it. And uh... it uh.... How do I feel? Uh,
    not so good. But I, but I also believe it is not directed towards me, it's directed towards all of us.

LK: You mean you don't take it personally?

WB: I don't really take it personally. I've been famous for 30 years now, I'd be foolish to take it personally. I, I know that there is a
    certainnnn..... atmosphere out there of what the Germans call "Schadenfreud" .... the enjoyment of other people's
    misfortune and I think that uh ....you know there, there, there is something in... probably in the egalitarian formation of our society
    that says 'Let's cut them all down to size' and I'm, I guess, somewhat flattered that people want to cut me down to size and uhm...

LK: But do you think that the average guy in Des Moines wants to cut you down to size, or the person writing in the tabloid wants to
    cut you down to size?

WB: I think maybe, unfortunately, we all wanna cut each other down to size. I, I, I don't want to.....pretend to remain above this....

LK: Do you think this is a human trait?

WB: Well, I don't, I, I, I, I think uh....possibly that there's, there's that element in, in us and I think we should watch it. I think we
    should be careful with it, because it uh, it, it, it makes our l.. our.. the quality of our lives and communications deteriorate and that's
    too bad. It's sad.

LK: Do you think it's affected your work?

WB: My work? Uhm....no, I don't uh... I don't... no...bec... be..because.... what I think of is the good work...I've ... uh... done a lot of
    bad work, my good work has, has, has to do with trying to tell the truth and uh, no I don't think this ... in fact uh, if anything this
    might help the work, because it makes you a little angry and you... you just wanna tell the truth a little bit more. So, I wouldn't say it
    affects mmm...my work, really, uh...

LK: Our guest is Warren Beatty...

WB: uh, uh, uh, not negatively....

LK: ...he's been a major star for a long time and he's terrific in Dick Tracy. We'll be talking about that aspect, that film...we'll be
    showing highlights of it. We'll be taking your phone calls. The people in it and around it and working with him and the performance he
    gets from Al, an unrecognizable Al Pacino, right after this.
    Did you have Pacino in mind, by the way, all the time for that part?

WB: No. I, I, I didn't know who to get and I was having lunch at a restaurant one day in Hollywood and I saw Al who probably knows
    more about actors than anybody. I went over and I said 'You gotta help me cast this part. I don't know who to get for it'. And he....
    we talked about it for a while...and he said 'I'll call you later'. And he called me and he said, uhm, 'What did you really mean?' And I,
    I said, well 'What do you mean?' And he said, well, 'Were you thinking about me?' And I said 'Well, I certainly am now! Do you... Are
    you interested?' And he said 'Well, what do you think?' And I said 'I think I'll do whatever you say.' So, he said 'Well, let's talk about
    it.' He came over to the house and... we talked and... He said he wanted to do it. And uh....uhm... it was about.... a couple of weeks
    before he began to shoot. He's uh....he's one of the most uh....gifted actors alive.

LK: That make-up was all his own?

WB: Yeah, well.... the group, but, but..... the thing about it is that you..... you know... you can't find Al in there. It's, it's it's...
    completely unrecognizable. On the set no one would know who he was. In fact, when he first came on the set, he, he... I gave him
    the freedom to not take any billing on the picture at first...And uh, we called him Guido Frascatti...And he came to the set and uh
    people didn't....had no idea that it was Al Pacino. And uh, that went on for quite a long time. A few weeks into it people began to
    realize that they were working with Al Pacino.

LK: Did he bring the Richard III concept to that?

WB: Ask Al. He brought a lot of things. And, uh I, I... I never interfere too much...

LK: Actors don't ask actors things like that?

WB: Well, I think he... you know I, I...that's his business. I don't like to say what other... what other people do. I...think it's an
    invasion of their privacy, but he, he.....Al has done Richard III, he's also done Arturo Weed(?) He's done, you know, everything
    back to Shakespeare he's...you know.... he's one of our great actors. And he's a great comedian.

LK: And he does not like doing this?

WB: Al? I don't think Al does it at all.

LK: At all?

WB: No. I don't think so. I don't know.

LK: I've never seen him, sit down and be asked questions.

WB: Well, it just feels silly, you know, sometimes to sit down and talk. But, but uh....nnnnnnnnnnnot uh, mmmmmmany people
    are as uh, as uh, as good an interviewer as you are.

LK: Would he be good? If Al wanted to do this, would Al be good? Would he be responsive? Supposing he said 'I'll come on.'

WB: Well, it's hard to tell because it is a sort of a fictitious circumstance... I mean, if you and I were talking alone, I have no doubt
    that we... well, we seem to be doing okay on the air but uh, but there's a little... you know we're.... ppppperforming to some
    extent....

LK: Yeah, little bit...

WB: Well... maybe more than a litte bit...I... I...there are people out there watching us...and... we're aware of that I'm very
    aware of that.

LK: You're aware, yeah, but you're shy.... but if we were having dinner I would say to you 'Do you think Pacino would be a good
    guest?' I would say that at dinner.

WB: Oh yeah, because Al is a, is a... brilliant guy, interested in a lot of things and so uh...uh, yeah, sure.

LK: Before we talk about some other subjects. Filming Dick...just filming Dick Tracy... was this tough? I mean... you've directed other
    films... I mean 'Reds'....

WB: Tough? Uh, well this picture.... this picture had to be really planned, every shot of it. Because, you know, we created that
    world with the matte paintings and the .... all of that.... stuff, so there was nothing that could be accidental about it. The... the
    lighting all, all had to be completely uh... controlled. The color all had to be completely... controlled. Because we're dealing with both
    pigmentation of color and the lighting of that pigmentation so it's always changing and to get it uuuuuuh a, a look where these
    primary colors would seem to be unified in some way was... it had to be planned. So, we had to know in advance what we were
    doing.

LK: When the real nightclub comes out of the painted street... Is that artistically hard to do? I mean it appears... on, on screen it
    - this is selling a lot of tickets, I know, (chuckles) but... this is genius! As a formula. Was that hard to do technically?

WB: Naaaaaawwww.... well, it wasn't hard for me, because I, I just uh....you know, got all these people who know what they're
    doing ....

LK: But you gotta tell them what you wanted, right?

WB: I said what I wanted, but uh... for me it was really fun. I...I... I...I uh.. I had more fun on this movie than I ever had. The
    subject itself is fun, the cast is fun, the music is fun. I've never put this much music in a movie. And it's fun to watch it. I mean it's
    just uh... and, I, I always had the feeling that I was making a movie for uh, a family. You know, for kids.

LK: Oh really?

WB: Oh, yeah, yeah, and, and the thing that I...uh...have... that's the most fun for me now is to see little kids really get it. It's a
    good picture for kids.

LK: Do you ever think about your own image? Whether it's been created falsely by a uh, a tabloid that may have lied a time or two,
    or brought on by your own refusal at times to come forward, except politically?

WB: I don't know, I think, if you ever have a very clear..... (halts and tilts head, eyes wide open now) To come forward politically?

LK: You...We've always known your politics.

WB: Yeah...When did I fail to come forward politically?

LK: No, you didn't fail. I said except politically...

WB: Oh...oh...oh....oh...

LK: You did not come forward except for that...

WB: Oh, yyyyyyyeah, well, I..I..I..don't...believe much... I didn't use to believe much in movie publicity. I think I was wrong. I think
    I didn't accept the reality of what the movie business now is...

LK: And from that...your image would be what?

WB: Well, I think that you can't sit around thinking about your image and even if you do, you don't know what it is. But you have
    friends you hope to tell you the truth and they'll say to you what people think of you I guess that's important. But in the long run,
    when you've been famous as long as I have you, you... you are who you are and you can't ... you... you...

LK: Yeah, but this, this, this... rogue image....Like that? Is there part of you that kinda likes that?

WB: Well, you know, I've been famous for 30 years. I've never been married, and I had a very good time.

LK: Do you like women?

WB: I...I... I like women.

LK: Why do you think we... we only have a minute till the break... we are so interested in the fact that you like women?
    Why is that so absorbing?

WB: Because I think we have a limited concentration span and we understand that and we're amused by it. And so... so it's
    entertaining. Sort of infotainment, and it's fun.

LK: So therefore you like it?

WB: Iiiiiin you? When I hear about your sexlife? Love it.

LK: (starts laughing hysterically, WB grins along shyly) That's what I mean. You read about someone else, you like it?

WB: (softly) Well.....

LK: Well....

WB: (softly) ... mmmmore than I should...(grins)

LK: (again, laughing hysterically) Wa....Warren Beatty is our guest. This film cost 30 million dollars to make. It shows it. They're
    spending 10 million to promote it. THAT shows it. They're gonna make it back next week! Dick Tracy is the film. The star is Warren
    Beatty, he also directed. We will be including your phonecalls. He's with us for the full hour. This is Larry King Live, with Warren
    Beatty. Don't go away.
    (BREAK)
    Our guest is Warren Beatty. Only man, by the way, ever to be nominated for Oscars in four different categories on two different
    occassions. Acting, producing, writing and directing. And now Dick Tracy and we have....the watch...He wears both watches, but of
    course this is the one, we're more interested in (close-up of Beatty's wrist with his own watch and the Dick Tracy movie watch). Tell
    us about this one, Dick.

WB: (smiling and blushing, OMG he's really shy!) Well, that's how they used to draw it, in the strip. And these uh, Disney people, uh,
    made this one up for me and they gave it to me. It actually works.

LK: It works as a watch?

WB: It works as a watch. You're not gonna hear an awful lot if you press this and talk into it... I mean you can talk into it, ... you
    ain't gonna get much of a message back.

LK: Are you... going to wear this watch for a long time or just for promotional....

WB: I'd say mmmmaybe...about 45 mmmore minutes (he breaks out laughing, King joins in).

LK: But they made it, though?

WB: Huh? Yeah, yeah, yeah...(takes it off, gives it to King)...here.

LK: Boy, that is a neat watch.

WB: (soft) It's nice.

LK: Did you get a kick, having been a kid and watch that, did you get a hoot out of the first time you said (holds watch to his mouth)
    Tracy...(returns watch to Beatty).

WB: Yeah...yeah, I got a kick out of all this stuff (puts watch back on)... the cars, the uh.... I got a kick out of ...working with generic
    products, you know? Nothing is a...a brand in that movie. There's no Fords. There're no Chevrolets. They're all just...cars. The grills
    of the cars are generic, I don't know if you've noticed.

LK: Did not notice.

WB: No. The dollar bills they just... they got a dollar sign on them.... ya know?...Hotel something like the... well, the Club Ritz,
    there's... Acme this... Ajax that...you know....

LK: What city is it?

WB: It's generic...It's... it's... a city...in America... in the Mid-West...

LK: It's the Mid-West?

WB: Uh....yeah....

LK: Ch.. Ch.... It's not Chicago?

WB: Weeeeell, it came out of Chicago with Chester Gould but, but uh, we didn't say Chicago.

LK: I think Chester would've loved that movie. You were true to Dick Tracy.

WB: Did you know Chester Gould?

LK: Met him once with the guy who drew Smiling Jack. He was in the audience... Zack Mosley I think was the guy's name,
    Zack....forgot his name, whoever drew Smiling Jack, I had on, and Chester was there. Chester died when?

WB: Uh...

LK: 19....67?

WB: I think in the seventies....

LK: (laughs) To Los Angeles with Warren Beatty. Hello.

CALLER: Hi, Mr. Beatty. I'm 22 and I've admired your work in both acting and directing for a while. And my question is were you at
    all worried about or at least interested in what the effects of your lack of visibility for the past, I guess, 6 or so years, would be in
    terms for your box office or do you have pretty much confidence that the picture would carry itself and you wouldn't have to worry
    about it?

LK: Good question.

WB: Yeah. I didn't uh, no, I, I, I worried about it uuuuuuuuuuuh, mmmm... I guess a little bit. The uh... I was.... involved with a very
    good company who were very good at promoting the picture, I never expected it to open to this kind of business. But, but it uh, but
    uh.....I...I thought it was a comic strip character that had been not...... very well remembered uhm, uh, and uh and as you say, every
    time I make a.... I make so few movies that whenever I make 'em it's like I'm doin' a comeback. So, I've been making comebacks
    since I was 24!

LK: (laughing) Where has Warren been?

WB: (shy smile) yeah...So.... I'm just uh........happy that uh.... something... someone got the message out there and uh

LK: Was it Michael Eisner by the way, was he the guy who said yes on this?

WB: Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg. They run Disney. And uh... they uh...they, I think they just did a helluva job.

LK: When you meet Michael Eisner, he's the kind of guy, you meet him, and he wears this little button that says 'Michael'...They all
    call cach other by their first name at Disney. And Michael Eisner looks like a guy... that could sorta work in a clothing store....

WB: (looks with flabbergasted smile at LK)

LK: I mean he looks like a kinda regular, I mean, he's certainly not one of these flashy .... showbiz types....He's not the type... If
    you'd picture a head of a studio, would you cancer...caster... would you cast Michael Eisner as head of a studio?

WB: (doesn't know what the heck to do with the question, looks shy and bewildered).... I don't know...I guess so....

LK: Doesn't look like a head of a studio!

WB: I don't know uh........he... he sure runs a helluva studio!

LK: (laughing) The Bronx NY with Warren Beatty, Hello.

CALLER: Hello, I'd like to say first that it's good to see you doing interviews again, Warren. And also I'd like to ask how far were you
    into the production of Dick Tracy when Batman came out and how did it affect your production of the movie and the marketing plan?

WB: Well, we had finished Dick Tracy, before Batman came out, uhm, so uh, it really didn't affect us I don't think. And they're two
    very, very different uh...movies. Batman had a television series that preceded it and people are much, much more familiar with
    Batman and, and I, I think they are much more anxious to see a movie about Batman than they were about Dick Tracy. Dick Tracy
    kind of....iiiiiiit's of a different period, and it, it uh, uh, it, it.... and it's a different sort of uh spirit than Batman. Dick Tracy is a kind of
    a family movie I think, uh...

LK: You think they should not be compared, then? Except they're both comic....

WB: I, I, don't uh, well, they're both comic strips but uh, I don't, I, I, I don't....I think that's where the, the comparison ends other
    than they I guess Batman and Dick Tracy and Superman are the three kind of most...uh....classic comic strips.

LK: Did you like Batman?

WB: I did! Yeah, I thought it was good. I loved Jack in it. I thought he was.....hilarious.

LK: We'll be right back with Warren Beatty. The producer, director, the STAR of Dick Tracy, released by Touchstone. Don't go away.
    (BREAK)
    LK: Are we just at the ebb of Madonna? Are we just at the beginning of her?

WB: Well, IIIIIIIIIIII..(he really gets stuck there, lol)......

LK: I mean, is there lots more of her to come?

WB: IIIIIII think we'd better face it, you know, she is here. And she is a contender for everything and she's, she's uh...we should
    uh.... be ready for her. The woman has energy and generosity of spirit and is just an incredible....lot of fun.

LK: Durham, North Carolina with Warren Beatty. Hello.

CALLER: Uh, yes, I wanted to get Mr. Beatty's reaction to the uh interview that was done with him last week on prime time ABC.
    Thank you.

LK: What happened on prime time, last Thursday?

WB: I, I just thought it was kind of silly. They asked me if I would talk to Diane Sawyer on my way to the theatre and I said 'Sure'...

LK: You were down in Orlando, right?

WB: Yeah, yeah. And uh, they said just talk for a minute or so here and it turned into something else...and then it got a little
    unpredictable ....it was kind of fun. What did you think?

LK: I didn't see it, I saw the transcript of it... It seems like they were having an uncomfortable time with you and...You mean you
    didn't know that it was supposed to be an interview?

WB: Well, I, I, I thought I was supposed to do a satellite interview with her so uh, and somebody else was talking to me on my left
    and and they were running film on my right and another voice was coming to me on my earpiece on the right and it all got a little
    crazy and so I just tried to have a good time with it, but uh.....

LK: Did you sense that they weren't having a good time with it?

WB: Well, I guess they...I don't... uh, weren't they? I don't....I don't know....

LK (laughs): Did anyone say anything to you after it?

WB: A number of people thought it was an eccentric piece of television....

LK: Our guest is Warren Beatty. The film is Dick Tracy. We'll be right back.
    (BREAK)
    Our guest is Warren Beatty. Before we take the next call, you mentioned that you've never married. This is by definite choice? You are
    opposed to the institution?

WB: No! No, no, on the contrary...

LK: You'd like to marry?

WB: I, I, I...would like....to be married. Yeah.

LK: Have children?

LK: Still might?

LK: Okay. Campbell, California, hello.

CALLER: Hi, Larry. Love your show, watch it every night.

LK: Thank you.

CALLER: Mr. Beatty, I was wondering about the reviews for Dick Tracy. I haven't seen the film myself but I use the last clip as an
    example. You're getting wonderful reviews but having children, I've noticed that there are some comments about the violence in the
    show and I wanna know how you feel about that?

WB: (raises his shoulders, looks surprised and dumbfounded at LK)

LK: It's interesting because there's no blood in Dick Tracy, and I don't think you see anyone die....

WB: No, I think it's the only PG movie out right now....I think it's made for kids to see. There's no blood, there's no four letter
    words....

LK: Where did you get that, Ma'am?

CALLER: Uhm, well, I don't wanna mention the show... but it is a movie mom type of review and she was saying that because there's
    no blood and no death and no consequences that maybe, maybe it is saying that, well, here there is this kind of violence but there is
    no consequences, so...I was just wondering if you felt that that's the kind of.... obviously you don't but ....

LK: Oh, you mean someone criticized it because it has violence with no consequence?

CALLER: Right.

LK: So, you mean that it didn't draw blood was a critique of its violence?

CALLER: Well, A: because there was a lot of machine gunfighting and B: because it didn't draw blood is it telling kids that there is no
    consequence for that type of force?

WB: I, I, I....

LK: So, you really can't win....

WB: IIIIIIII, I haven't read anything like that and wh....Mention the show, who was it?

LK: Ma'am, who said it?

CALLER: It was on the Home Show.

WB: What's the Home Show?

LK: What's the Home Show?

CALLER: It's a show uh, in LA or California anyway, I don't know if it's nation wide but, it's a morning show. And there was a movie
    review.

WB: No, no, I wasn't aware of that...I, I,I,......the th....thing that thrilled me the most about this movie is that it does get all ages
    and that it's...it's recommended and that people say it's, it's great for the family, I...everrr...uh...it...it seems to me that everybody
    said... it's great for the family.

LK: I'd never heard that, either. Birmingham hello.

CALLER: Hi Larry, how are you tonight?

LK: Fine.

CALLER: Great! Uhm, Mr. Beatty?

WB: Yeah?

CALLER: Uhm, I love your smile, by the way. (OMG BIG close-up of Warren looking surprised into the camera, then smiling shyly
    while he looks down again and he BLUSHES!!!! Sooo hot and sweet!) Uhm, it seems that you have all the money that you need.
    What motivates you to act and or direct?

WB: Uuuuuh, to...be..uh..uuuuuuuuuuuuh......What do I say.... To...express...what I...want to express. To say what I want to say.
    And I finally find that uh....after a certain amount of experience... I seem to have the tools to do it. And I do it in movies so, that at
    the moment is the place I want to do it.........in.

LK: So money was not the goal?

WB: Uh, I uh... I don't think uh... I got lucky early, you know, I became a movie star. I had a great director in the first picture I
    did named Kazan, and the picture was a hit and I got lucky and then I didn't have to worry about eating. So uhm, I have never
    worked...uh...with money as a primary...uh...goal. But uhm....(softly) I do like money (smiles).

LK: But, so therefore you never worked out of need?

WB: Need for money? I've worked out of...uh not uh, not uh....not out of need...Welllll .... no, not really. Not out of need for money,
    no. I've been lucky

LK: Has that made it ....

WB: Huh?

LK: Has that made it easier? You think? To do what you wanted?

WB: Wellllll, I don't know if that's made it easier. Sometimes it's better if you go ahead and work when you don't feel like working. I
    think that uh, you know when I was kidding earlier when I said that every picture seems almost like a comeback since I made so....
    since I didn't make so many movies...uuuuuh....I don't know. I really don't know. Sometimes I wonder.

LK: But you don't say to yourself 'I'm gonna put 10 million in the bank, cos I did this...'

WB: Oh, I wouldn't know how to do that. That's not..... That doesn't interest me....much. It interests me a little, but....

BOTH WB AND LK BURST OUT LAUGHING.

LK: We'll be back with our remaining moments with Warren Beatty. He stars in Dick Tracy. Don't go away.
    (BREAK)
    LK: Do you go watch Tracy again? Do you still go watch it?

WB: Oh uh, it's a lot of fun for me to watch it because it makes people smile. Uh, and I do enjoy it, more. Usually I don't go and
    watch films or watch audiences. I <b>have</b> been doing it a little of it with this because...it's...it has a simplicity to it .....

LK: Mel Brooks used to say there's nothing like standing in back when you make an audience feel good.

WB: Yeah.

LK: Knowing that you made them feel good.

WB: Yeah, well... he.... does...

LK: Yeah, so you might be in some theater tomorrow, as people watch Dick Tracy, you might be there.

WB: Yeah, well, I, I've turned into a human publicity machine so, so... tomorrow...God knows what I'll be doing (smiles shyly).

LK: (laughs) What a great pleasure, having you. Thanks, Warren.

WB: Thank you....iiiiiit's....good to be ....to...talk with you....

LK: Hey? How did we do?

WB: Huh?

LK: How did we do?

WB: On this? Let's do it again (smiles)

LK: He'll do it again! Without a film!(laughs)

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread Information