Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woman Rents 90-Square-Foot Apartment in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    Wow, $700 is considered cheap? OK, I know it's in Manhattan where everything's expensive... but I could rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment (or house) for that price here in my city.
    Where on earth is that? That's what I paid for the main level of a minuscule two bedroom house in a sucky neighbourhood 21 years ago.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Where on earth is that? That's what I paid for the main level of a minuscule two bedroom house in a sucky neighbourhood 21 years ago.
    Well, it's in the Netherlands There are many cities where you'd get a very decent house for that price. With a back yard and everything. In a decent neighborhood. Maybe not in one of the bigger cities, but it's a small country so you're never more than an hour away from a large city.

*contemplates moving*
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

My husband's uncle lives in Manhattan, Upper West Side about 1 block from the park. They pay just over $700/month in rent for I think close to 800 sq ft. But...he's been there for something like 20+ years. They recently remodeled the kitchen, on their own dime, in a rented apt. so that they could actually cook on something other than a hot plate. It's pretty amazing what you can do with a small space to keep it organized.

That being said, 90 sq. ft. is just too tiny for me. At least she seems happy there.

^Clearly one of the older rent controlled places.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^ That people would kill their grandmothers for.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^^lol
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im not even gonna tell you guys about my grandma, she pays next to nothing for her apartment in a very sought after neighborhood due to rent control from 60 years ago!

Ms Cohen, who happens to be a professional organiser, said the last three years in the apartment have been a joy and that friends even prefer to come and visit her.
    She's a fucking professional organizer, of course she's going to make it work. Grab any other person off the street and they'd jump out of the window after a day... assuming there even is a window in this space.

I remember when I paid $800 a month for a 865 sq foot studio apartment in midtown Manhattan 20 years ago. It's scary to think what the rent must be now.

I could not live in this place - the lack of the most basic kitchen facilities is a deal breaker.

I know a lady who lives on Manhattan and pays $400/mo for her two-bedroom apartment because she's been living there 60 years. It's spacious for NYC, I don't know how many square feet it is, but she has a living room/dining area, a kitchen, and a bathroom.

She told me that the building Superintendent has been trying to put her out for years because he could easily split the bedrooms up into individual units and charge $2k/month each for the unit. And this is for a building way uptown in the 150s well past Columbia and below Washington Hts. I can only imagine how much more they could charge further south in Harlem or the Upper West Side.

I've fantasized about moving to NYC many times, but not to live in a 90 Sq Ft apartment. I'd move to Brooklyn or Queens or even Jersey for more space.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information