Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is it so hard to sublet my condo?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Do you have a no subletting clause in your lease? The people you actually rent from don't mind you doing this? Just stick it out until your lease is up.
    No, I'm allowed to sublet my condo. The terms of a sublease are actually pretty decent when you consider how many landlords rip off their tenants or don't allow them to reassign a lease...even if the tenant finds the new tenant. The landlord actually makes a profit on the transaction.

I'm not going to stick it out; this place is too small for my needs. Needs I didn't have when I signed the lease. Also, my landlords are such disgusting slumlords that even if I can't find another tenant, I am considering taking legal action to get out of my lease. My bathtub has been broken since before Christmas. Stick it out? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Also, my landlords are such disgusting slumlords that even if I can't find another tenant, I am considering taking legal action to get out of my lease. My bathtub has been broken since before Christmas. Stick it out? I don't think so.
    Uh, I wouldn't sublet a place with a broken bathtub and obviously bad landlords. These are potentially big obstacles for finding a sublessee. Haven't you answered your own question?
    Last edited by qwerty; February 5th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Uh, I wouldn't sublet a place with a broken bathtub and obviously bad landlords. These are potentially big obstacles for finding a sublessee. Haven't you answered your own question?
    Yes - now we know more of the full story it's beginning to make sense.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

No, I'm allowed to sublet my condo. The terms of a sublease are actually pretty decent when you consider how many landlords rip off their tenants or don't allow them to reassign a lease...even if the tenant finds the new tenant. The landlord actually makes a profit on the transaction.

I'm not going to stick it out; this place is too small for my needs. Needs I didn't have when I signed the lease. Also, my landlords are such disgusting slumlords that even if I can't find another tenant, I am considering taking legal action to get out of my lease. My bathtub has been broken since before Christmas. Stick it out? I don't think so.
    Take legal action. I got out of a lease years ago; I paid $400 dollars to an attorney and he wrote a lovely letter. Don't pass that crap on to another tenant. LEAVE!!!!!!
    Ooooh, I have the perfect tenants for you; about 15 illegal immigrants! They'll totally live in your busted condo!
    Last edited by Just Kill Me; February 6th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Feeling silly today!

I'd definitely look for alternative ways of advertising. Craigslist is the trailer park of the Internet--I don't think I'd trust many people who utilize it.

I agree with the suggestion above about forking out the money for a newspaper ad. If money is tight, go for the Sunday paper only, which is when newspapers' circulations are highest. A lot of people only buy the Sunday paper simply because of the high concentration of ads/coupons.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    *shrug* That's you. The wheels are in motion for me to potentially break my lease if I can't find a new tenant and the landlords don't fix the problems with the property. Once they fix the tub the place will be fine, and they will fix it. The owner of the unit the tub leaked into has threatened to sue them if they don't, and hopefully they're taking that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Take legal action. I got out of a lease years ago; I paid $400 dollars to an attorney and he wrote a lovely letter. Don't pass that crap on to another tenant. LEAVE!!!!!!
    Ooooh, I have the perfect tenants for you; about 15 illegal immigrants! They'll totally live in your busted condo!
    Unfortunately that doesn't work in this state; I wish it did. I've already talked to a lawyer and I'm following his advice. There has to be a paper trail first before anything else can happen.

Do note that I've submitted ten maintenance requests for odds and ends that DO need to be fixed, including the weather stripping on the front door and a leaking faucet in the second bedroom. It's kind of pathetic that it has fallen to ME to put forth all the effort to get these problems fixed, seeing as I'm just renting the place...but there you go. Landlords are assholes. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by birdmadgirl View Post
    I'd definitely look for alternative ways of advertising. Craigslist is the trailer park of the Internet--I don't think I'd trust many people who utilize it.

I agree with the suggestion above about forking out the money for a newspaper ad. If money is tight, go for the Sunday paper only, which is when newspapers' circulations are highest. A lot of people only buy the Sunday paper simply because of the high concentration of ads/coupons.
    I'm also advertising on rentals.com, citylease.com, and sublets.com. They're more reputable outlets, but I've gotten no interest from the last two. So far the only serious prospects have come from rentals.com.
    Last edited by Tati; February 8th, 2008 at 07:34 AM.

*shrug* That's you. The wheels are in motion for me to potentially break my lease if I can't find a new tenant and the landlords don't fix the problems with the property. Once they fix the tub the place will be fine, and they will fix it. The owner of the unit the tub leaked into has threatened to sue them if they don't, and hopefully they're taking that seriously.
    I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. You asked for reasons as to why no one was biting and I think I offered two legitimate ones. If the bathtub gets fixed, then there should be no problem. Good luck to you.

You're in Texas, right? I'm in Texas. I wouldn't say all landlords are assholes. You should be able to get out of your lease without any hassle because you have documentation regarding maintenance issues. So just move on. I don't see the need to even try and sublet the unit with all this crap going on there and you have clear grounds for being let out of your lease. This just doesn't make any sense. So in your ads are you telling people that your landlords totally sucks ass and that you've been trying to get things like your bathtub fixed for long (enough to get out of your lease) and people are still inquiring? I think you should just take yourself out of the unit and let your landlord figure out what to do; make sure there is something in writing that says they are letting you out of your lease. Why would you want to accept even the microscopic amount of any liability by subletting? This is just nonsense.

Hmmm. As a future tennant I would not be buying a place with a broken bathtub.

Perhaps you could fix it and send the landlords the bill? If you notify your lawyer in advance, she/he can start the small claims paperwork in advance when/if they refuse payment.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information