Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's so great about Dyson vacuums?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well I guess I'm never buyin' me a Bissell!! Not that I would - I've always been a Hoover girl - long before the current usage of the word in another context But I want a Rainbow. Or a Dyson.

Yes, it's a brand of vacuum that doesn't use a bag - it filters everything through the water. When you're finished, you toss the water out.

When my friend first told me about it, I thought she was just nuts for spending so much on a vacuum, and told her so. But she swears by its cleaning ability, and she loves the air filter function. She says she just lets it sit there & run, and it cleans the air. I'm telling y'all, the fragrance in that shop was heavenly. It was so clean & fresh.

Apparently, the company is big on service. Oreck is decidedly not, as I've the misfortune to discover. I do plan to buy a Rainbow at some point.

Rainbow website
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hit By Ban Bus!

OK I went to the website but I'm lazy - how much do we have to fork over to get one?! I couldn't find a buy page. I totally would spend over 1K to get something like that. I spent $700 on a Kirby 20 years ago and it's shot. It seems ridiculous to spend that amount of money on a vac but it sounds heavenly - really clean and really fresh.

Hit By Ban Bus!

We almost bought a Dyson. We have many pets and have gone through many vacuums. After researching on Consumer Reports, I bought a Kenmore Progressive upright. Wonderful vacuum. I've only had it for about 4-5 months now, so I can't vouch for its staying power over the years. However, it makes treaded down carpets look new again. Picks up everything. Is quiet and powerful. Highly recommended.

Kenmore 35923 Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System, Slate Blue at Sears.com

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    OK I went to the website but I'm lazy - how much do we have to fork over to get one?!
    I'll ask my friend again. She financed hers through the company. I'll ask about cost & warranty & all that.

I paid $300 for the Oreck, and I had never spent so much on a vacuum before. I really thought that was a lot, but apparently it isn't at all

When the starter switch on my Oreck went out, it was still (barely) under warranty. The closest authorized repair shop was like 45 minutes away & they said that it was under 50 miles so I would have to take it there! I was lucky that I knew somebody who could take it. So I got it back, it worked once, and then the switch went out again. I ended up just finding a local shop & paying to have it fixed. They told me that a big percentage of the vacs they work on are Orecks. Doesn't sound good... When it works, it cleans well & I like how lightweight it is. It's so retro-looking, it looks like a vacuum from the 50's.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^That's kinda cool. (the 50's look) For a long time my mom held on to her old Hoover for sentimental reasons, it was cool. She also has one of the Oreck air filters (the big one) and she likes it, no complaints. But that's a lot different than a vacuum that's used a lot. Thanks for checking with your friend about the Rainbow.

Zee

If a vacuum cleaner could make my house smell better- sign me up. I will look into it as well.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

We got our vacuum deodorized by a technician person and every time we use it, it smells like we sprayed air freshner. I don't know if it's a good thing but maybe you could get something like that done Zorbeet.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

Since we've been in Oz we've lived in house with 'inbuilt' vacuum systems where you just plug the hose into a wall outlet which sucks the dirt into a powerful vacuum unit in the garage. It works pretty well but we have wooden floors upstairs and down and dogs that don't shed hair so the workload isn't too bad.

Had a Dyson in the UK and loved it. By far the best suction - and it's precisely because it works so well you have to clean the filter so often!! You can't have it both ways unfortunately. There are other 'bagless' brands out there which probably work just as well.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ooo, a central vac system. Some friends have one of those, and they have something with it that I'd never seen before. In the kitchen, there is a rectangular opening in the cabinetry on floor level. They can sweep up crumbs & whatnot, flip a switch & just sweep everything into that opening & it sucks it up. Whoosh!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Those are incredibly fantastic. I know someone who has it. Takes so much drudgery out of housecleaning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information