Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to plant this Spring?

Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    What Apricot did you get? Which variety? They are iffy in this climate due to early blooming. I did ok with a few cultivars. Nothing like getting fresh Apricots sun warmed right off the (dwarf) tree. I want some more! *cries*. They are pretty trees in and of themselves without any fruit.

There are so many fruit varietes to try if you have room! I want to suggest some!
    I don't remember what variety it was anymore. Just always thought they were beautiful trees. If we get fruit it's a bonus. Still nothing from my cherry trees. Fire away with suggestions, I have room.

Lenten roses are so beautiful. That would be a nice plant to consider.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    I don't remember what variety it was anymore. Just always thought they were beautiful trees. If we get fruit it's a bonus. Still nothing from my cherry trees. Fire away with suggestions, I have room.

Lenten roses are so beautiful. That would be a nice plant to consider.
    There are SO many Fruiting things that will grow in Central Ohio..if you have sun and decent soil.

Apricot-I actually got fruit from mine..dwarf are ok..some are naturally semi dwarf: Late-blooming: Anything with 'Har' in the name..same with any fruit tree-it it has 'Har' in the name it is from Harrow research station in Ontario and will do very well in Ohio..stuff like 'Harken, 'Harcot, Harlayne, Hargrand, etc."

Also 'Puget Gold" and 'Goldcot" good for Ohio and similar areas

Apples:-Liberty, Pristine(anything with "Pri' from Purdue University and will be good..likw 'Williams Pride, Enterprise, etc. all disease resistant)

Quince: Smyrna, Orange, etc.-most are good. New cultivars from Russia like "Aromatnaya" are hardy, disease resistant, and can be eaten fresh without cooking(unlike most). Quince are delicious!

Jujube: Delicious date/apple like fruit will grow in this climate on small trees, new cultivars are hardy and flower late but fruit earlier(like October instead of November)

Peaches: Red Haven, Harken, (any "Har" peach), Contender, Reliance and Intrepid are VERY hardy..will fruit after 25 below. Late blooming also.

Plums-many

Cherries: Sweet-"Lapins" is self-fertile, crack resistant, disease resistant, hardy, available on dwarfing rootstock. Sour: about any will do. I like Northstar-hardy, disease resistant, natural dwarf to about 6-8 feet high

Hardy Kiwi: Will do well here, Like a grape size, smooth, just like the other Kiwi except you eat it whole. Large Vines, usually need two(male and female) but I have 'Issai' which is smaller and self-fertile-I actually got some Kiwi's from mine second year-i dug it up and took it with me..still alive.

Persimmon: new cultivars from Ukraine are hardy here, smaller trees, and fruit that is nearly the size of Asian Persimmons, must ripen until soft though before eating. Late blooming, disease resistant, attractive trees.

Medlar: pretty trees, small, self fertile, Fruit about walnut size, must be bletted, then tastes like cinammon/apple.

Pears(both European and Asian): Get Self-fertile, semi-dwarf, and fireblight resisant for European pears, Asians will need two for pollination. Bartlett sucks in humid climates-I would avoid it.

Also:

Bush cherries, strawberries, blueberries, serviceberries, grapes, blackberries, jostaberry, raspberries, Elderberries, Paw-Paws, etc.

Online:

Edible Landscaping.com, One Green World.com, Raintree Nursery.com, Stark Brothers.com

*Dwarf fruit trees almost always flower and fruit earlier, those not on dwarfing rootstock take longer. How old are the cherry trees? Sweet or sour? Dwarf or regular? Are they blooming well?

Sweet cherries can be hit or miss. I had a dwarf (so I thought!)Lapins..it did produce some fruit, but got too big and I cut it down ( ). Also had a Northstar dwarf sour cherry..very small..grew it in a half-whiskey barrel! very hardy, got enough to make two cherry pies with(plus a little left over to eat). Birds LOVED it. The first time I netted it a robin kept trying to get at the fruit and got so pissed getting stuck in the netting..it ATTACKED me and my partner! Little shit!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Zee

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check out the websites. The apricot was Harcot, so I should be in good shape. Will have to check out the hardy kiwi. That sounds really interesting.

Cherries are a mix, lapin, stella, van and lambert. These are about 5 years old. Have had maybe 2 blooms total off of the trees. Also have 6 more that I picked up at Lowes to line the driveway. Have no idea what variety and they are only one year old. Do they need fertilized? I'd be happy with blooms.

Thanks for making me look at plain yogurt differently. Poor little gnome!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

My calla looks like it's about to flower!! One big bud in the center and a small one below to the right. I should move it to where it gets more sun, right now it gets virtually none.

And speaking of lenten roses, can you guys tell if that's what those pink flowers are behind the calla in my picture? I know squat about plants.

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check out the websites. The apricot was Harcot, so I should be in good shape. Will have to check out the hardy kiwi. That sounds really interesting.

Cherries are a mix, lapin, stella, van and lambert. These are about 5 years old. Have had maybe 2 blooms total off of the trees. Also have 6 more that I picked up at Lowes to line the driveway. Have no idea what variety and they are only one year old. Do they need fertilized? I'd be happy with blooms.

Thanks for making me look at plain yogurt differently. Poor little gnome!
    Sorry about that yogurt thing.. I TOTALLY MADE THAT UP!

And Harcot is a good one. I do not know what is wrong with the cherries..Stella and Lapins are good. (Stella fruit may crack though in rainy weather, that is the only bad thing I have heard about that one) Hell even my Lapins fruited before it got to big and got axed. Are they growing well? Dwarf or not? I would expect that soon you will get blooms and cherries. I bet you got nothig last year due to the late freeze..so maybe this year you will get something since fruit trees basically skipped a year here? I would not fertilize anything that is already growing well until it starts fruiting well-would just encourage vegetative growth instead of fruiting. Unless you use something specialized to promote blossoming.

***Also pretty Calla lily coming up!!! Not hardy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    My calla looks like it's about to flower!! One big bud in the center and a small one below to the right. I should move it to where it gets more sun, right now it gets virtually none.

And speaking of lenten roses, can you guys tell if that's what those pink flowers are behind the calla in my picture? I know squat about plants.
    I have callas planted -giant whites. They need bright morning sun,not too keen on hot afternoon sun.Yours seems fine where it is. Those appear to be balloon flowers-the pink ones. Take one to a nursery & let them see.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

That grass growing in the bricks would drive me CRAZY!! I would be running for the Round-Up!

I know, my landlord is supposed to be taking care of the gardening himself, but he hardly ever does. I'm grateful if he even shows up to mow the grass, never mind the details like grass between bricks!

Besides, the rest of my lawn is even worse, looks like a weed battle zone (I think you'd have a heart attack if you saw it!). Actually we have a similar brick walk in the back yard that was being overrun by clover and that WAS driving me nuts. I went crazy and used a whole bottle of roundup on it and now it's nice and clean. I've no problem getting all medieval on weeds, but somehow I hate killing perfectly healthy grass...

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The lawn guys came on Saturday... wow! Built a sand box for ACE and we planted some mexican heather, gerbera daisies, and dahlias.

Elite Member

Any suggestions for planting things in a drought? I'd like to add some landscaping and color to my backyard but we are banned from outdoor irrigation. Don't new plantings have be watered frequently?

I'm looking for drought-resistant, easy care plants that don't look like crap when they're not flowering (evergreen). I would prefer red or blue color, and nothing more than waist-high. Any suggestions?

^What's your zone?

Beeyotch they look like Petunias. They are perennial in your area.

Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Elite Member

Um, zone 6 I think? Central NC.

Ooh, just like me. Let me look around and I'll get some ideas for you.

These are drought tolerant for Zone 6.

Sedum Autumn Joy

Russian Sage

I just read the part where you wanted evergreen red or blue.

Blue Fescue Boulder Blue
    Last edited by SweetPea; March 18th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

I love gardening and planting flowers!

This year, my BFF and I are planting the following in our veggie garden:

Lettuce
    Onions
    Corn
    Tomatoes
    Summer squash & zucchini
    Cucumbers
    Green Peppers
    Butternut squash and acorn squash
    Pumpkins
    Strawberries
    Watermelon

Less than two months until planting weekend!
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Keep your melons away from your squashes; they may cross pollinate and taste funny.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information