Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to plant this Spring?

^ I have some hostas in the back of the beds cause it is dry and they filled in good. You might see the Hydrangea bushes.. on either side of the walkway. In there also is Blackeyed Susans, Echinachea, lavender, Russian Sage and Salvia it all does well in our area.

Yes I have tons of ornamental grasses the white verigated kind.. and one the gets as high as my house, blood grass and 2 other kinds, I love it and got a little carried away.. but it's easy and makes a statement.. I think.
    Last edited by HelpMeRhonda; March 6th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This screams Cosmos. Plant from seed in poor soil. Says right on the package "thrives on neglect". After last frost date,barely cover with dirt & watch. The colors are vivid & people want to touch them to see if they are real! The more bouquets you pick, the more blooms you get. Bright lights is my favorite.Purple ones (that is a field of cosmos you see in the Color Purple ad) are more majestic, but bloom later. Much taller. If you go to www.parkseed.com , they are having a big sale all March. Have scads of ideas!
    Thank you! I love the "thrives on neglect" part , and I have to shamefully admit it's right up my alley!! Also, you're right they're very colorful, I looked up a picture of Cosmos--very pretty:

This is my favorite-Bright Lights Cosmos!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^ other things to try are things that have 'weed' in them like this Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium)..you just know if it has 'weed' in the name it will thrive on neglect!

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I am just going to try ANYTHING that will grow in desert hell over here, haha. I was hoping to grow some fruit, and vegetables, since it could save so much more money. I am hoping to be able to add a few flowers, since there is literally nothing in the backyard, just DIRT, no grass..nothing.

Burpee
    Has some interesting things.

I am really looking to go all out, and grow tons of vegetables, and fruits though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    I am just going to try ANYTHING that will grow in desert hell over here, haha. I was hoping to grow some fruit, and vegetables, since it could save so much more money. I am hoping to be able to add a few flowers, since there is literally nothing in the backyard, just DIRT, no grass..nothing.

Burpee
    Has some interesting things.

I am really looking to go all out, and grow tons of vegetables, and fruits though.
    What general location are you in? Do you have an actual yard?

Here is a good site to join..lots of different forums to ask questions:

The GardenWeb Forums - GardenWeb

I do have a decent sized yard where I could start a decent garden, thanks for the link!

I planted the Josee Lilac going on 2 springs ago. Got a few blooms last year and expecting more this year. It's a dwarf size and is supposed to bloom continuously from late spring until frost.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Gold Member

wisteria, i think

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I planted the Josee Lilac going on 2 springs ago. Got a few blooms last year and expecting more this year. It's a dwarf size and is supposed to bloom continuously from late spring until frost.
    I have heard wonderful things about it. You know what they say about plants..this year it should be great for you! (first year planting-nothing, first year AFTER planting, plant gets established, second year AFTER planting, plant goes NUTS!)

Zee

Went and bought my fruit trees today. No self restraint. Will be planting apricot, white peach, currant (black) and raspberry varieties.

Still hoping for a cherry or even a bloom from one of my cherry trees.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Went and bought my fruit trees today. No self restraint. Will be planting apricot, white peach, currant (black) and raspberry varieties.

Still hoping for a cherry or even a bloom from one of my cherry trees.
    What Apricot did you get? Which variety? They are iffy in this climate due to early blooming. I did ok with a few cultivars. Nothing like getting fresh Apricots sun warmed right off the (dwarf) tree. I want some more! *cries*. They are pretty trees in and of themselves without any fruit.

There are so many fruit varietes to try if you have room! I want to suggest some!

I just realized I have a calla lily plant in one of the pots that was here when I moved in. Calla lilies have already been blooming for at least two weeks around my neighborhood. So I'm wondering what's wrong with mine. I watered it yesterday when I realized what it was. The leaves are looking bright green and growing, but no flowers.

The pot sits on my porch, which faces north and hardly gets any sun. A little filtered sun in the afternoon.

Also, for some reason there is a cactus planted in the same pot. The pot is pretty huge, but still. Is the cactus stealing water and nutrients from the calla?

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Looking for pansies that I can't seem to find anywhere. I guess they are not out yet? Strange.
    I love pansies, for me they're the first sign of spring around here so I always have to buy a couple flats just to get me started. Not sure where you're at, but here in the Chicago area the earliest I've seen them is the end of March. The first place I saw them last year was at Lowe's. The rest of the garden centers didn't have them till mid-April.

I have two tropical hibiscus trees I've been keeping alive indoors all winter. I just started giving them some bloom booster and am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get some flowers this summer for all my trouble.

I am also waiting to see if my hydrangea plant comes back, if so I want to get some more. I have so much shade in my backyard that it's hard to keep things alive back there. I've had good luck with dianthus coming back even though I bought them as annuals.

I've been meaning to plant the Lenten Rose for years and just never get around to it. I think about it right when they're due to bloom. They call them the winter busters because they are the first plant that grows even if there is snow on the ground. The best part is that they are perennials in my area. Here is a pic -

Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information