Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wainscoting in Bathroom?

I lived in a place with this exact setup, white wainscoting and light purple/lavender painted walls in the bathroom and it looked beautiful. It was a victorian in San Fran and had a freestanding claw foot tub, which I'm a total sucker for. I really liked it.

did the wayne's coating help with your blowouts?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I really like the look of tongue-and-groove panelling in bathrooms, But I dunno who this Wayne Scotting is... Is he a DIYer?

Anyhow, I found some pics....

I really like the panel on the left here...

I have a white & lavender/crystal bathroom, the purple have some mica or something in it & it glinted like a piece of quartz (but subtle!), all my porcelain was white, I made the shower curtain & the blind from darker purple voile (both were lined in white), and I loved it, I think it was my fave bathroom ever.
    Free Charmed.

Wayne is well-placed in that bathroom.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I did something similar in my townhouse guest bathroom. It was a small 1/2 bath so I wanted something that didn't make it look smaller and something cheap since it would be a rental soon. My solution was to built my own wainscoting by putting a very thin plywood on the lower half of my bathroom wall and then using molding to make the rectangle panels. Then I put another molding up to make a chair rail. The top half is buttery cream (as are the molding accents) and the lower half was like a creamy brown. The top half was a light color so it didn't make it look too small in there. My other colors were chocolate (medicine cabinet and vanity mirror).

The sink was like a sand color and I used satin nickel for the metals. I put in a cherry pergo laminate, it worked well, but I also didn't have a tub or a shower... but I did have a toddler that regularly covered the floor in water while washing her hands and I never used a rug (like you probably would with shower/tub). My husband did put the flooring in himself (said was easy but he is handy) and helped me by nailing the wood in with a nail gun while I held it in place. It was a pain in the ass to paint it all though, it took a lot of patience to get it looking "perfect" but I am not the most experienced painter and I imagine store bought wainscoting would be better prepped.

It does collected dust, but molding does that. I was very happy with it and everyone really loved the diy wainscoting, it really dressed up the area for little money. And like I said I just made my own version of "wainscoting" so it probably doesn't look as good as store bought stuff if you go that route. I think your idea would look really nice. Here's my picture, the color is a bit off though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    *exchanges glances with Cherry, honey you know we all got the herps. I blame Chilly
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Get those fat fingers right out of here! You should only wear whites for playing tennis, you hussy!
    Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Infuriating!

Good thing I remembered to wear the correct basecoat today...
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I did something similar in my townhouse guest bathroom. It was a small 1/2 bath so I wanted something that didn't make it look smaller and something cheap since it would be a rental soon. My solution was to built my own wainscoting by putting a very thin plywood on the lower half of my bathroom wall and then using molding to make the rectangle panels. Then I put another molding up to make a chair rail. The top half is buttery cream (as are the molding accents) and the lower half was like a creamy brown. The top half was a light color so it didn't make it look too small in there. My other colors were chocolate (medicine cabinet and vanity mirror).

The sink was like a sand color and I used satin nickel for the metals. I put in a cherry pergo laminate, it worked well, but I also didn't have a tub or a shower... but I did have a toddler that regularly covered the floor in water while washing her hands and I never used a rug (like you probably would with shower/tub). My husband did put the flooring in himself (said was easy but he is handy) and helped me by nailing the wood in with a nail gun while I held it in place. It was a pain in the ass to paint it all though, it took a lot of patience to get it looking "perfect" but I am not the most experienced painter and I imagine store bought wainscoting would be better prepped.

It does collected dust, but molding does that. I was very happy with it and everyone really loved the diy wainscoting, it really dressed up the area for little money. And like I said I just made my own version of "wainscoting" so it probably doesn't look as good as store bought stuff if you go that route. I think your idea would look really nice. Here's my picture, the color is a bit off though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I love it! We just bought a house and I want to "wayne's coat" everywhere.

Our formal dining room is my first goal, but it is divided from the formal living room by only a waist-high dividing wall. I think it might look strange as the it's not quite a separate space.

^^not if the waynescoating is the full height of the divide, and the Walls are that height too. It could work IMO.
    Free Charmed.

Novice, the tongue-in-groove is gorgeous, but seems like a bitch to keep clean.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Nah, just wipe it over with a damp cloth. In the bathroom, marine varnish is the secret
    Free Charmed.

Living Room Wainscot

August 18, 2011 By Tracy 83 Comments

My Living Room was falling flat….I liked our furniture, it was a tv-less room so very peaceful and cozy for reading & relaxing….and it felt – blah.
    I was thinking wainscot – but wanted…different. Then I found this:
    Lovely, isn’t it?
    Though I tried (in vain) to convince my Mister that we could jigsaw this, he wasn’t buying in.
    I contacted local millwork shops, and using MDF the quote was over $900.
    Not bad, but not in the budget right now – and I really like right now.
    Because now that a bee was in my bonnet about this room, I was obsessed driven.
    Enter my brilliant Uncle Kerry -
    Being a skilled wood-working handy type Uncle, I asked for his help/opinion on how to get what was now a deep rooted need for this wainscot. And he found this company -
    Acurio’s product is made from PVC, suitable for indoor or outdoor use, totally paintable, and the best part – totally customizable. I emailed Marc McAvoy there my ‘inspiration’ photo and some details, and within a few days he sent me this:
    COULD I be more excited? Well yes actually, because then he gave me some pricing – for the entire room, in panels specifically cut for each wall length, AND shipped from Georgia to Canada, the total was just over $400!
    Hell, yes.
    I might add that though Marc randomly named the design “Metropolis Circles”, it is also known as “soulstyle wainscot”, should you be contacting them.
    As I worked with Marc and learned more, the absolute awesome-ness of this product was rocking my socks.
    Where and how else could it be used?
    With a bit of a tighter design than the wainscot, I wondered if they’d work as stationary window panels, adding privacy without blocking light.
    So I added those to my order too.
    Ok, so here’s all the beauty….
    Gorgeous, right?
    So what we the Mister did is beef up our existing baseboard with a small piece of moulding, then used the brad nailer to install the panels. A bit of dap covered the brads & the seams perfectly. Narrow cove moulding was necessary in the corners because the panels are far squarer than our house is. Then another piece of moulding along the top to cap it off, and voila.
    In these pics above & below we haven’t put the final coat of paint on the bottom or top mouldings.
    Up close & personal for those attempting this daredevilry at home.
    AND…..the Finished product – swoon…..

Moving on to the window panels….

Here they are in the dining room.
    We gave Marc at Acurio the exact dimensions of each window casing section, and the panels were P.erfect.
    Again, “We” had to cut out a bit of the panel to fit around the window lever, but a regular hacksaw was all it took.

Here in the living room, we opted to install them just on each side of the bay window.
    Are you wondering how we hung them? With vinyl window casings, nailing was sorta out of the question.
    We used VELCRO TABS – high-five, Velcro!
    Seriously – 1 tab in each corner, and 1 each side in the middle. Haven’t budged.
    7 window panels, the entire room of wainscot, shipped from Georgia, STILL less than just the wainscot done locally in MDF.
    I love the living room now. It’s peaceful and calm, and so beautifully US.

(I just love that coffee table – read about it here….)

I also love Acurio Latticeworks. My house was the guinea pig project for this product, but I would not hesitate to use this product with a client. The options are only as limited as your imagination.
    Suspended on chain as room dividers in a loft/open concept? Maybe something as simple as wall decor.
    I bet you could even hinge them and use them as shutters indoors.
    ANY design – and they already have a ton to choose from.

http://www.soulstyle.ca/living-room-wainscot/
    Free Charmed.

Those are AWESOME!! Want!
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

fgg

^me too!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Not me. If I didn't already hate it I'd get sick of it in about 5 minutes. I'm a spartan though, I only like a little decoration.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Why do they want their house to look like it has child's gates all over?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information