Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: The Vacuum Thread!

I've been thinking about getting one too, even though it goes against everything I stand for (don't start me on one of my "we're all getting fat because we don't do enough manual labour anymore" rants) but I'm working so much and don't want to spend my short weekends doing vacuuming. As it is I get the Dyson out a couple of times a week for a quick going over before work, as well as a thorough clean at the end of the week, but a robot would keep my floors free of cat hair so that I can focus on all the other filthy things about this old house.

But they're ridiculously expensive here so I might do some homework and then come back for advice.
    sputnik likes this.
    Be excellent to each other.

Yes! I got the Dyson cordless, and LOVE it. Omg, it is wonderful. But when I can afford it, I will get a brand new from the company Roomba to take care of that darn cat hair.
    sputnik and Brookie like this.

I have two roombas and can’t live without them. Mostly because I have shitty allergies and there’s no way in hell i’m going to sweep and dust mop daily. I have three short haired cats and one medium haired and it’s great for keeping the hair manageable as well, though a friend of mine who only has one long hair said the roomba didn’t like the long hair. I dunno, it’s possible she didn’t empty the dust pan daily like I do.
    sputnik likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I got the most recent ginormous Dyson right about when we were moving into the house. It's an Animal and a Ball and cost $600 retail (I bought it on sale at Best Buy for $450), and that's all I know about it. I think I've used it five times since I bought it. During the first use (and I stupidly threw out the packaging because I've had Dysons before and never really had an issue ... we were moving and the box was huge), something happened with the hand hose thing. My son has taken it apart twice and can't figure out what's wrong with it. It doesn't even compact all the way into the handle like it's supposed to (about 2-3" sticks out). It's one of those things that I keep meaning to take to a vacuum repair shop but I keep putting it off (mostly because I was hoping I'd catch my ex one day). Regular vacuuming works awesome, but I can't use the hand hose at all and I REALLY need that with two dogs and a slobby teenager.

But almost immediately after I moved back in here, I went looking for a steam mop (everything is stained and sealed white oak hardwood, except for the bathrooms which are the tile that looks like it's wooden) because I don't feel like the bare floor is clean without one. There are area rugs in most of the rooms too, so ... I didn't know what to do. I came across the Bissell Pet Pro Crosswave and it's perfect for my situation. It's a steam mop AND a vacuum and has two settings ... hard floor and area rugs. It definitely doesn't replace either a vacuum or a carpet cleaner, but will keep things neat in between. The vacuum isn't a full on vacuum, but more to get pet hair and crumb-type debris. It doesn't pick up big things. And the one gripe I have with it is that the clean water/detergent and the dirty water tanks are a bit small. I can do a full three rooms with one tank for the clean water and one tank for the dirty water. It's also one of those things that you really need to clean between each use ... I take the tanks apart and also the brush/mop head, the cover for that and scrub them with bottle brush that's used only with this thing. Then I actually put it into the kitchen sink and run water through it until it's clean. I run the garbage disposal when I empty the dirty tank and also when I run the water through the whole unit because it has picked up larger things that I didn't realize a couple times. But I really like it. The cleaning detergent (comes in multiple different versions like wood floor, multi-floor, pet cleaner, etc.) smells really good and the floors shine when I'm done. I do a lot more sweeping than I've ever done, and that helps me in between cleanings.

I would love a Roomba but that's way down on the list of things I still have to purchase.
    Novice and sputnik like this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

I have a Shark steam mop & it’s great. I have less tile here than I had in my last place plus no ex refusing to wipe his feet!!! So it doesn’t seem to need it as much but I’ll never go back to an ordinary mop.
    Nevan and sputnik like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

thank you guys! i think i'm gonna do it.

i think it's a choice between the roomba 690 and the 675. i looked at other brands but because i have to keep the robot from knocking over the cat's food, i need a virtual wall so the cheaper brands are out of the question, and the roomba 900 series bots are way too much money.
    Nevan likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Please let us know what you get and how you like it, Sput!
    sputnik likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Dyson cordless stick "Animal". Love it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Last month I got this:
    sprynkles and Mivvi21 like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

So much cheaper than the Hoover I got eight years ago, and just as effective.

I don't have any carpet in my place and I like it. But honestly I have almost as much dust as I did in a carpeted place. I really thought it would be a lot less.
    BITTER and Nevan like this.

Get a Swiffer Wet, or whatever they call it. You attach a floor cleaner to it and it is good at getting up dust.

I have two Roomba 650's that I could not live without. They do require some maintenance, such as taking the bottom plate off and cleaning everything out(I do ours once a month), but they are well worth it to me. I also have a Dyson cordless V6 Animal, and a Nutone whole home vacuum system. I mainly use the Nutone for vacuuming up the stubborn cat hair under our furniture, and for the cleaning ladies to use. I have cats, and have to vacuum daily. No way I could live without any of my vacuum cleaners. Lol.
    HeartShapedBox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Please let us know what you get and how you like it, Sput!
    I went with the roomba 675, which is new and is basically the same as the 690 except it has a longer battery life and since the 600 series, unlike the 900, doesn't charge and pick up where they left off (if they don't finish everything in one go), longer battery life seemed like the way to go. i also got 2 virtual walls.

so far i have to say i love it! the first day i used it i stayed home and watched it work so i could figure out what i needed to move, if there were unexpected obstacles and also to see what boris' reaction would be. i was afraid he'd freak out, or think it was a toy but he just stays out of its way and doesn't seem to give a fuck (too bad, i was hoping i could train him to ride the roomba). i thought i'd only need one virtual wall (for the cat's food bowls) but ended up getting 2 (amazon had the 2 pack on sale for only a little more than what a single wall would have cost) and i'm glad i did because i ended up needing a second wall to block off the bathroom - it turns out the door sill at the bottom is a little too high for the roomba and it gets stuck so what i ended up doing is blocking off the bathroom, having the roomba clean the rest of my place and when i get home i just lock the roomba in the bathroom for a few minutes.

so far that's the only obstacle i've encountered. i love how it goes under furniture. my sofa is high enough that it just wanders under it and cleans up, and i was worried it would swallow all of boris' toys but it just pushes them out of the way and keeps going. it's also good at climbing up on the area rug in the living room. the only things it can't get under are a small chest in my room and a bookshelf in the living room. my bed's one of those low things where the frame sits directly on the floor so i don't have to worry about under the bed anyway. i also love that the app lets you schedule cleanings and alerts you if the robot gets stuck and needs your attention (not that you can do anything about it if you're not home). i've also called her natasha (boris & natasha).

now i'm considering the robot mop as a christmas gift to myself... anyone have any experience with those?
    Nevan likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

There's robot mops???? I think I need one...

I've had the Dyson v8 Absolute cordless stick and I love this thing. I now vacuum like 200% more than I used to because it's always ready to go and I don't have to plug anything in.
    sputnik, Nevan, Novice and 1 others like this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information