Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 107
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The Vacuum Thread!

  1. #76
    Elite Member missbazilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,560

    Default

    We have a roomba. We got it at Christmas, it's the highest model. It was on sale, so we went for it. I'd say it's just okay. For the price, you could probably do a lot better. Plus, it's really for people with very little clutter. It's really more of a self directed floor sweeper than a vacuum. My daughter named ours Frankie. He is forever getting himself locked in bedrooms or stuck under chairs. One day he managed to lock himself in the bedroom and pull a clothes drying rack on himself and drag it around.

  2. #77
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    ^^^ thank you for that. The newest model that I've found is around $900 and I couldn't see doing that when there are so many different opinions.

    I've been reading Marie Kondo's books, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy, for when I rebuild my home. I've always had clutter, but her philosophy (okay, maybe Spark Joy is a teeny OTT) makes sense.

    ETA: My old house and the one that will be rebuilt hopefully by summer has all hard floor. Either hardwood (almost everywhere) or ceramic tile. That's very easy to keep clean. The temporary house I'm living in now is about 3500sq. ft. of carpet. I'm on my third rental vacuum (paid for by the insurance company) in six months. They just keep losing suction. I've been DYING to buy a new vac, but I'm not bringing someone else's body and head dander or dog hair into my new house (this one is a rental, obviously). Right now, the Roomba seems like a great idea because when I vacuum here, my allergies go INSANE for a few days, then it's time to vacuum again (vicious cycle). It would be nice to let the Roomba go when I'm not home to suppress whatever it is that I'm allergic to in the carpet. But I won't have that problem when I move home. I hate this living in suspension crap. /first world problems rant

  3. #78
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,272

    Default

    Nevan - that was why I bought a Kirby (on eBay, 15. Did was mention that?) So that it gets rid of all the pet hair & dust & my hair.
    We have a lot of tile (Thank goodness due to MrN annoying habit of not taking g his boots off) which is great except I am the worlds clumbsyest person so go through glasses cups mobile phones like nothing.


    Kris - that totally sucks. I used to buy houses, renovate them & sell & I found that builders gave the best advice, better than surveyors!
    I know that its just "little stuff" but little stuff builds up & it all costs.
    KrisNine likes this.
    Free Charmed.

  4. #79
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Okay, so what say you all about central vacs? I was advised against it by a few people.

    Novice, I'm at the point that I'm done spending money on "good enough for now" crap. My contents claim was more than $150K over my (pretty substantial) insurance cap, and it all adds up rather quickly. I'm hoping I'm only going to be here for another 5-6 months.

  5. #80
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Nevan - that was why I bought a Kirby (on eBay, 15. Did was mention that?) So that it gets rid of all the pet hair & dust & my hair.
    We have a lot of tile (Thank goodness due to MrN annoying habit of not taking g his boots off) which is great except I am the worlds clumbsyest person so go through glasses cups mobile phones like nothing.


    Kris - that totally sucks. I used to buy houses, renovate them & sell & I found that builders gave the best advice, better than surveyors!
    I know that its just "little stuff" but little stuff builds up & it all costs.
    I agree. Builders are usually the best. It's amazing how fast all the little things add up. Everything cost a few hundred dollars, which doesn't seem like a lot at first, by after the tenth person that charges $300, your reno budget takes a hit.
    Novice likes this.

  6. #81
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Okay, so what say you all about central vacs? I was advised against it by a few people.

    Novice, I'm at the point that I'm done spending money on "good enough for now" crap. My contents claim was more than $150K over my (pretty substantial) insurance cap, and it all adds up rather quickly. I'm hoping I'm only going to be here for another 5-6 months.
    I know what you are saying. I decided that I was going to try a kirby after I spent 4 or 5 weeks of taking 3 hours to clean a 12'x12' carpet!
    I know that I fell lucky, I did my due diligence & found that second hand kirbys usually go for around 100 and then the tools come separate.
    I drove 100 miles each way so it cost me the fuel too - and another reason why I "fell" lucky was that it was an old lady's kirby that had been serviced regularly, that was moving into a home (or with her daughter, the daughter was so pissed off that she'd only managed to get 15 - well 12 actually, I gave her the extra 3) and was getting something else. It also came with a full set of tools (still in the original box!) and the instruction manual. I'm guessing that its 20 years old or so but there is little to go wrong on it.

    What happened to your house? Should I ask? A few dear friends have been flooded out with the second 100 year flood in 8 years (and the 3rd flood in 10 years); and it is heartbreaking, one of them lost her aunt just a week or so before, the uncle having died 2-3 months previously.
    Free Charmed.

  7. #82
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    19,415

    Default

    I would agree with a Roomba being more like a sweeper. I wouldn't think it would deep clean carpet. I have no carpet, so it works wonderfully. I would never pay more than a few hundred for one.

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  8. #83
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I know what you are saying. I decided that I was going to try a kirby after I spent 4 or 5 weeks of taking 3 hours to clean a 12'x12' carpet!
    I know that I fell lucky, I did my due diligence & found that second hand kirbys usually go for around 100 and then the tools come separate.
    I drove 100 miles each way so it cost me the fuel too - and another reason why I "fell" lucky was that it was an old lady's kirby that had been serviced regularly, that was moving into a home (or with her daughter, the daughter was so pissed off that she'd only managed to get 15 - well 12 actually, I gave her the extra 3) and was getting something else. It also came with a full set of tools (still in the original box!) and the instruction manual. I'm guessing that its 20 years old or so but there is little to go wrong on it.

    What happened to your house? Should I ask? A few dear friends have been flooded out with the second 100 year flood in 8 years (and the 3rd flood in 10 years); and it is heartbreaking, one of them lost her aunt just a week or so before, the uncle having died 2-3 months previously.
    My house burned down. Almost with me in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I would agree with a Roomba being more like a sweeper. I wouldn't think it would deep clean carpet. I have no carpet, so it works wonderfully. I would never pay more than a few hundred for one.
    That's good to know. I'm leaning towards a Meile canister when my house is rebuilt.

  9. #84
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,964

    Default

    Let the jellus bitterness begin! Here's my newest family member:




  10. #85
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Oh, you lucky, lucky ....

    HOW IS IT??
    KrisNine likes this.

  11. #86
    Elite Member missbazilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,560

    Default

    The roomba in no way replaces a vacuum. I still have to do the baseboards, around fthe bedrooms, etc. Outlining room rug has a the ck black boarder that he thinks is a drop off so he won't do the rug. If you're spending over $500, get a real vacuum!
    sputnik likes this.

  12. #87
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Oh, you lucky, lucky ....

    HOW IS IT??
    It's great. It took forever to vacuum because my house was covered with hair. It takes a little getting used to because I'm used to using an upright. So, having a little droid follow you around (we're toying with the name BB8) is kind of interesting. The cord could stand to be a bit longer, but it's amazing. It's super quiet. It has the controls built into the handle. I sent my SO to get the C3 Cat and Dog and he came back with the Brilliant. I wanted the Cat and Dog because it came with the Mini Turbo brush for furniture. The guy gave us two attachments and a pack of bags as extras. I think I'm going to return the other two attachments and buy the turbo brush.

    The hardwood tool is awesome. I have a shedding ass dog and I always sweep his hair into a pile and then vacuum it up. Not with this baby! You just switch to the hardwood brush and it picks it all up.

    I'm nuts, but a little in love.

  13. #88
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    ^^^ You sold me!! Enjoy your new vacuum!!
    KrisNine likes this.

  14. #89
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    My house burned down. Almost with me in it.



    That's good to know. I'm leaning towards a Meile canister when my house is rebuilt.
    Oh my goodness Began, I am so sorry that I missed that and completely horrified for you.
    I really hope that everything works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Let the jellus bitterness begin! Here's my newest family member:



    BITCH!!!!!


    LOL Just kidding! You gals have got me surfing the pages looking for a new vacuum since I was struggling to lift the Kirby, but I have great guns now....
    KrisNine likes this.
    Free Charmed.

  15. #90
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    19,415

    Default

    That's a sexy little unit. I almost wish I had carpeting.

    KrisNine likes this.

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Neato robotic vacuum cleaner
    By celeb_2006 in forum Computers and Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM
  2. This kid COLLECTS vacuum cleaners!
    By DitaPage* in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
  3. Vacuum cleaners
    By SammysMom in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •