Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The Vacuum Thread!

My experience with a Rug Doctor (used it at least twice), is that it looks like a small Zamboni and is equally heavy and unwieldy.

It's heavy when the water return tank is full. You really only do straight lines with it so it doesn't need to be super smooth.

I've had the same Dyson, a DC05 I think, for 10 years. I think it still works really well and I haven't noticed any loss of suction. We have hardwoods, carpet and tile - the tile was done improperly and the grout lines are DEEP and I rarely have to go over them more than 1 time to pick up the various chunks of food my kids leave behind. I have had to replace the bendy hose 2 times as it will get a hole or tear in it. I noticed that the first time because I felt like the suction had decreased, turns out I just needed a new hose. I think it was $50 to replace, but still better than having to buy a new vacuum every few years when I went with the cheaper versions.

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I really, really want a roomba! We have all hardwood with rugs around, so if i came home to clean hardwood every day, I would be so happy!

I have an eight year old Dyson cordless that is pretty good. It used to be amazing, but I think the battery is slowly dying, so sometimes it won't work except in short bursts. I mostly use it now to vacuum hair in the bathrooms and to suck up any piles of dust from sweeping.

We bought a newer Dyson for my MIL recently, and it is a complete piece of crap compared to ours. I think they used to be awesome but they have just gone downhill in the past few years.
    My Dyson handheld died within a couple of years and the battery life was shit. I would barely get the cat and dog hair off of one chair and it was dead. My old Dyson from 02 or 03 is amazing. I mentioned before that I paid to replace the motor and have the machine steam cleaned. It cost $150 and it works great. The guy at the vacuum shop said that the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones and cost more. For $150 I should be able to keep this one for another 10 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I've had the same Dyson, a DC05 I think, for 10 years. I think it still works really well and I haven't noticed any loss of suction. We have hardwoods, carpet and tile - the tile was done improperly and the grout lines are DEEP and I rarely have to go over them more than 1 time to pick up the various chunks of food my kids leave behind. I have had to replace the bendy hose 2 times as it will get a hole or tear in it. I noticed that the first time because I felt like the suction had decreased, turns out I just needed a new hose. I think it was $50 to replace, but still better than having to buy a new vacuum every few years when I went with the cheaper versions.
    It's much cheaper to replace items on the older models than it is to buy a new vacuum.

Funny enough a piece of my Dyson broke. (grrrr) We took it in and it's apparently under warranty but my husband isn't sure if they will just replace the broken part of the whole machine. Anyway, I sometimes sprinkle baking soda on my carpets to absorb odors. The guy at the vacuum repair place told my husband vacuums aren't meant to pick up fine dust like that. WTF! That's kind of WHAT THEY DO. Apparently they make the motor work harder. What the fuck ever. I'm still using it.

What, four pages and no Kirby love up in here? Pffft.
    Novice likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Funny enough a piece of my Dyson broke. (grrrr) We took it in and it's apparently under warranty but my husband isn't sure if they will just replace the broken part of the whole machine. Anyway, I sometimes sprinkle baking soda on my carpets to absorb odors. The guy at the vacuum repair place told my husband vacuums aren't meant to pick up fine dust like that. WTF! That's kind of WHAT THEY DO. Apparently they make the motor work harder. What the fuck ever. I'm still using it.
    The guy at the vacuum repair shop told me to never use any of the powders like carpet fresh or baking soda on my carpets because it will destroy the vacuum.

I use some of those Downy Unstoppables in the canister. Smells great.

A great tip for pet owners - if fleas have been/are a problem, put a flea collar in your vacuum's chamber. Any fleas or eggs that your vacuum picks up won't survive.
    Brookie and missbazilb like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'll give some Kirby love! Best damn machine I ever owned. But damn it was heavy. And to use the attachments you had to break down the whole dam thing. My housekeeper refused to use it. But your shit was CLEAN when you were done.
    Novice likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

^ finally! It's a great machine, been using them for 20+ years. Right now we have one upstairs and one downstairs so I don't have to lug them around so much. But with 2 dogs and 4 cats in this household, they both get a workout. Might not even really need all that power since we don't have carpets anymore but I still wouldn't give them up at this point.
    Novice likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    How is it as a vacuum? Good?
    Very good. But Rainbow vacs are crazy expensive new. Like $2000. They are not that good. I got a refurbished one for a couple hundred. Same with my Roomba. I got a refurbished one on Ebay for under $200. It was clean as a whistle with new brushes, filter and battery.
    Brookie likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I've had trouble locating a filter for my vac that wasn't super expensive, so for a couple of years I've been washing out the old one every few weeks, and it's been looking pretty worse for wear. I finally ordered one on eBay and it arrived today. My god it makes such a difference! I can't believe how much smoother the vac runs and how much more dirt it picked up. I've been living in filth!
    sputnik likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

For those of you who have the Roomba, how big is the canister? It doesn't look like a big machine. Also what do you have to do to keep it from falling down a flight of stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    For those of you who have the Roomba, how big is the canister? It doesn't look like a big machine. Also what do you have to do to keep it from falling down a flight of stairs?
    It's smart, it senses the edge and never falls off of it!

How big is the canister... hmm. I don't know how to describe it exactly. Basically, the battery charge will die before the canister gets too full (as it gets low on charge it will make its way back to its charging dock). We empty/clean it before or after every round of use, which is a simple process. And then the next day or whatever we will set it up in an area of the house it didn't get to the previous day.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

So how do dogs manage with them? Mine is terrified of flies so I can't imagine a robot.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information