Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The Vacuum Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'd like to get a new vac in the near future because the one I have (Volta Vortex) is way too heavy, although the suction is great. I have floorboards throughout, longish hair and two cats. And I prefer bagless because the Volta is so easy to empty I just couldn't go back to bags.
    Also - bags are expensive, and a lot of stores don't have the ones you need so they are also inconvenient.

I would like to replace our vacuum with a reliable stick vacuum that would make it easier to work on the stairs (which are carpeted).

I've never owned a Dyson and I'm not impressed with them. Very expensive and made of rigid plastic, which, in my experience always breaks in some critical area that necessitates replacing the vacuum sooner than you had planned.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    reliable stick.
    If these two words can be safely used in the same sentence, I'd like to know what vacuum that is.
    sputnik and Brookie like this.
    "I feel like the red carpet question 'who are you wearing?' has Texas Chainsaw undertones." -- Richard Ayoade

Bagless is easier than changeling bags but you also have to deal with the cloud of dust every time your empty it. and not enough of a perk for me to go back to upright/stick vacuums. Had two, one cordless (if you go cordless, go high end, otherwise it will lose power within a year, you'll have to plug it in to charge it before you're even done vacuuming the entire apartment) and one a shark. I hate that you have to coil the cord around it when you unplug it, instead of pushing a button that sucks up the cord, and I hate that the motor on a lot of uprights is at the top and it blows hot air on your as you're vacuuming. And they're just clunky as hell, don't fit under things, and aren't easy to manoeuvre into small spaces.

Canister vacuums forever. They're just more user friendly, easier to manoeuvre, lighter. Even if it means dealing with bags. You can just order them online so you don't have to worry about the store not carrying the ones you need.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    If these two words can be safely used in the same sentence, I'd like to know what vacuum that is.
    It does seem like some violation of physics principles to have a stick vacuum that is actually powerful. To have decent vacuum power, you have to have bigger engine, and a bigger engine means a heavier vacuum.

I have an old Dyson and a newer one. I prefer the older one because I feel like it was better made.

I have the old Dyson Animal DC07. It's a big purple hunk. It's heavy and a little cumbersome, but I think it cleans great. It's amazing at cleaning up pet hair. I use it on our stairs to get the trapped hair and on our furniture.

The new house has a central vac, so we'll see how that goes. I'll still keep my old Dyson.

I do need a new steam cleaner. We used to have a hoover, but after an episode of dog diarrhea, we couldn't seem to get the machine clean again!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post

The new house has a central vac, so we'll see how that goes. I'll still keep my old Dyson.

I do need a new steam cleaner. We used to have a hoover, but after an episode of dog diarrhea, we couldn't seem to get the machine clean again!
    You have a central vac??? Like the kind where the whole house is a vacuum and you just walk around with a hose?

My steam cleaner broke in a way that the hand wand wouldn't stay attached (stupid piece of plastic). And then something in the wand hose broke so that the wand couldn't be used at all - another stupid piece of plastic.
    KrisNine and sputnik like this.

Daughter of a friend of mine studied medecine in the UK,then she did her practice in a big London hospital.She told us there were at least 3 people a week brought to the ER with their ding dongs stuck in various parts of vacuum cleaners.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

"I feel like the red carpet question 'who are you wearing?' has Texas Chainsaw undertones." -- Richard Ayoade

I read an AMA on reddit from a vacuum repairman recently. He *hates* Dysons and says they're not worth shit. He's repaired countless Dysons for losing suction (which, is their slogan ... never loses suction). I have (had) a Dyson Animal (I can't remember what model but it had the ball) and within six months or less, it DID lose a lot of suction, unexplainedly. But my house is almost all hardwood surfaces, so, to me, the lesser suction wasn't that much of a big deal. If I had carpets, I don't think they'd ever be clean. He actually likes Miele for a canister and recommends them highly. I had never heard of them before so I looked them up ... they're like $1500!!! My house is being rebuilt and I'm seriously thinking about having a central vac put in. I can't carry a decent regular vacuum between floors, so the central vac might be worth the extra cost.

The AMA had all sorts of interesting info, like how to remove virtually any kind of stain. Here's the link if you're interested:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._cant_believe/
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

Miele's are the best. In America the next best is an Electrolux canister. I know a few people that have the older Electrolux cannisters made of metal, still work great

We have central vac in our LBI house, they're great for allergies if they're the type that exhaust outside the house. They're also very strong on suction, way stronger than portable vacuums.
    sputnik and KrisNine like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    ok someone has to make that first picture their avatar...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You have a central vac??? Like the kind where the whole house is a vacuum and you just walk around with a hose?

My steam cleaner broke in a way that the hand wand wouldn't stay attached (stupid piece of plastic). And then something in the wand hose broke so that the wand couldn't be used at all - another stupid piece of plastic.
    Yep, that's what we've got. We're kind of afraid that the old owners won't leave the attachments behind because they're being dicks! But, the central vac is pretty cool. My parents had one in their old house.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Miele's are the best. In America the next best is an Electrolux canister. I know a few people that have the older Electrolux cannisters made of metal, still work great

We have central vac in our LBI house, they're great for allergies if they're the type that exhaust outside the house. They're also very strong on suction, way stronger than portable vacuums.
    Good to know. I was worried that it wouldn't be as strong.

My mom still has her old Electrolux and it still works. Gotta be a record.

fgg

my husband does the majority of the cleaning at our house and he wanted a dyson (LOL!) so we got one. he really likes it. i've used it a few times...its a vacuum.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

The most powerful vac we have is a clunky, heavy one. I used to wanna get rid of it cause the others are much lighter but it works so good I'm keeping it - the dirt devil wide glide. It's bagless with a canister and a filter. The filter is replaceable. But the motor is SO LOUD, my God, it's like a jet engine. But it works so good, I deal with it. Every time I use it I empty the canister so it never gets too full, plus I want the filter working at fullest capacity.

We got a couple sweepers, a dust buster on a stick so you use it as a vacuum cleaner, I've not used that yet, and a lighter vacuum cleaner that I forget what kind cause I never use it but it's much easier to navigate. And we have a regular dust buster.

I used to want a dyson but I don't care about it anymore because I've got so many vacs already that do work. When I use them up maybe I'll get one but not in a hurry. My fiance's sister has a dyson and she likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    but you also have to deal with the cloud of dust every time your empty it.
    Yeah, I empty the canister outside cause I don't want any of the cloud to get loose after I've sucked it up.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

My canister (chamber) doesn't send out a cloud of dust but I empty mine straight into the bin outside and hardly see any dust at all. I've had the same washable filter for about three years and only just ordered another one. I think the Volta might be the same as the Electrolux Turbo because the parts are the same.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information