Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On the street where you live - tell us!

American in Barcelona here. Near the center of the city, in what is called the Eixample, where upper/middle-class live. Just block after block of oldish 19th century buildings, all attached and businesses sharing building space with residences (flats). Springtime brought us greenery for the streets, but it's very high trafficky, very noisy (I've never cursed scooters so much until I moved here. Why must they be so loud? Can't they make mufflers for that? People are trying to sleep sometimes!!!)

But I miss the greenery and open spaces of the American suburbs I grew up in. Here it's mostly sidewalks, and they're so crowded everyone is constantly in the way of someone else, and there is NO concept of personal space here: people WILL get all up in your business and make no effort to avoid you on the sidewalk, or accidentally elbow you due to lack of space sometimes. I hate that. Also, it makes it difficult to walk my dog. There is a nice grassy city park but it's about 10 blocks away and we don't make it out there as often.

Mostly I see a lot of seniors and middle aged people here. There are children, but it seems I only see them en masse when school is letting out, not after though.

The architecture is pretty, the city is chock-full of history and it's a beautiful and interesting place to visit, but not so much to live.

Lord, what an adventure,Beeyotch! You will alway look back fodly at this time in your life! Quite different for us. Thanks for sharing!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Beeyotch,i know the area,its one of the expencive ones.
    I ,ve been there last year,i agree with you,but i would get back just to see Sagrada Familia again and spend a night up hill to enjoy the Dancing Waters..See as much as you can of the city,consider yourself a tourist EVERY day..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Iowa, Middle America

I live in town on a corner lot, with almost a half acre lot. Neighborhood built in the late 70's, many two story and split foyer houses with a couple of ranches. I would say it looks very suburbia. If there's nice weather, there is always someone walking their dog and kids riding bikes.

The people that live there are either the original owners of their homes, or young families that just bought in the past 5 years, like us. It's not the new construction, yuppie, psycho child-competing Mom neighborhood.

Our neighbors are both older, children out of the house, getting married, becoming grandparents. There are some other kids a few houses away.

One thing I do love, is access to the bike path. In my town, there is a creek that runs East-West through the town. There is a cemented path that runs along the creek from one end of town to the other, about 14 miles total. It's wooded, runs into parks, has a restaurant on it. It's about 2 blocks from my house. The fam and I rode our bikes on it on Sunday. It was so nice and peaceful.

my yard is the sand pit on the golf course. Apparently one of my neighbors has had his sliding doors busted 5 times. Meh, better him than me I guess. On rainy days when the golfers won't come out and play, we take our bike out on the sidewalks throughout the golf course... that's my favorite thing about the neighborhood.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I live in a small condo about 5 blocks from the beach, and one block from the main shopping street for my neighbourhood. Unfortunately, it's super-trendy (I'm so not), so I feel very uncool without my designer yoga pants and sunglasses when I go do my shopping. Parking is impossible, and we're bombarded all summer by drunk teenagers in from the suburbs.

Extremely convenient to work, shopping and the beach, though. Love the neighbourhood, but we'll probably be moving soon to find something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I live in a small condo about 5 blocks from the beach, and one block from the main shopping street for my neighbourhood. Unfortunately, it's super-trendy (I'm so not), so I feel very uncool without my designer yoga pants and sunglasses when I go do my shopping....
    Shit, I wish I could wear my beloved yoga pants on the street...

Strange thing here in Barcelona, people dress up all the time. They are very fashion-conscious; little old ladies, the middle aged, young working people, you'll see them all in nice skirts, dresses, trendy jeans, high-heeled shoes and boots, smart jackets and fashionable purses. EVERYDAY. Not just for work either, they'll dress up just to walk to the market or take a walk on the street.

Plain jeans, t-shirt and sneakers or flip-flops is unheard of here. You might as well be a bum. So that's what I feel like, very uncomfortable sticking out like a sore thumb walking about in my regular clothes, cause I'll be damned if I dress up just to get groceries or walk the dog or to go buy a book.

On the funny side, this is the only place I've seen a couple of men with their noses pressed up to a shop window admiring and discussing the fashions on the mannequins!

I live in Yorkshire, a county in the North of England. My house was built in 1896, has four levels (tall and thin) and resides in a quiet cul-de-sac. I have two small gardens at the front and back of the house and love to laze in the sun in my back garden so keep it stocked with lots of pretty flowers! My neighbourhood is sleepy and sedate apart from when the kiddies all return from school and go crazy for a couple of hours! We have a couple of local shops where people are friendly and a park around the corner where we know tons of people though walking Elmo there everyday (he has lots of doggy friends too!). There's lots of beautiful cherry blossom trees in the park that are currently in full pregnant bloom - just stunning!!
    All in all it's quite nice but I'm desperate to move to the seaside so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a new place to talk about!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

I live in the most overpopulated area of Athens-lots of concrete, old apartment buildings. It's also the one with the highest emmigrant population in Greece, so it's quite amusing to hear all the languages even if I'm just picking up the paper from the kiosk.

Most of my friends who live in nicer areas of Athens are a bit horrified at where I do, but I actually rather like it. It's central, just round the corner from a large pedestrian street full of outdoors cafes, restaurants, and the kind of places that stay open 24/7, and within walking distance of...well, everything. But then I walk a LOT-it takes me 40 minutes at most to get to the food of the Parthenon. I'm very jealous of Effie's location btw, flat in that neighborhood are impossible to come by! Unless you're rolling in it.

Interesting fact about my street: I live right next door to our local group of polytheists. I've even been inside once (long story), though sadly missed out on any bachnal orgies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I live in the most overpopulated area of Athens-lots of concrete, old apartment buildings. It's also the one with the highest emmigrant population in Greece, so it's quite amusing to hear all the languages even if I'm just picking up the paper from the kiosk.

Most of my friends who live in nicer areas of Athens are a bit horrified at where I do, but I actually rather like it. It's central, just round the corner from a large pedestrian street full of outdoors cafes, restaurants, and the kind of places that stay open 24/7, and within walking distance of...well, everything. But then I walk a LOT-it takes me 40 minutes at most to get to the food of the Parthenon. I'm very jealous of Effie's location btw, flat in that neighborhood are impossible to come by! Unless you're rolling in it.

Interesting fact about my street: I live right next door to our local group of polytheists. I've even been inside once (long story), though sadly missed out on any bachnal orgies.
    Rats! Keep watching & tell all about it! I have never been to an orgy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    I live in Yorkshire, a county in the North of England. My house was built in 1896, has four levels (tall and thin) and resides in a quiet cul-de-sac. I have two small gardens at the front and back of the house and love to laze in the sun in my back garden so keep it stocked with lots of pretty flowers! My neighbourhood is sleepy and sedate apart from when the kiddies all return from school and go crazy for a couple of hours! We have a couple of local shops where people are friendly and a park around the corner where we know tons of people though walking Elmo there everyday (he has lots of doggy friends too!). There's lots of beautiful cherry blossom trees in the park that are currently in full pregnant bloom - just stunning!!
    All in all it's quite nice but I'm desperate to move to the seaside so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a new place to talk about!
    Move from this dream? Maybe you can keep both! We are lucky to have so many diverse friends!

Um, I'd love to, but after what happened last time, I'm pretty sure I'm banned from the premises.

A girl can dream. Can't she?

CAN'T SHE???

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

A girl can dream. Can't she?

CAN'T SHE???
    I'll have my ladies maid call your ladies maid & see if you can have tea!!

busy city street on the rive droite in downtown geneva. a few blocks up from the train station, a 10 minute walk to where the rhône meets the lake.
    it's a busy, noisy street, my living room looks into the windows of the engineering school so in the morning i have to remember not to walk in there naked or i'll flash a whole classroom.
    i'm walking distance from everywhere. most of the buildings are pretty old, usually late 19th century to mid-20th, with a few atrocious later aditions. there are lots of immigrants in my neighbourhood so you hear lots of different languages and i'm 100m away from the best kebab in the city and down the street from an amazing erithrean restaurant. i have everything i need right there on my street or minutes away: supermarket, video club, restaurants, bakery, bike shops, etc. 5 minutes away from the train station which is great when travelling. and the best part is my bedroom is on the courtyard side of the building so no noise when i sleep. otherwise i might have had to move already.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information