Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Stainless Steel Appliances Are No Longer the Trend

^Strangely the kitchen is the one room of the house I can sort of handle white in. I don't even like white bathrooms. If it's an old-fashioned kitchen in an old house, I can handle it.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Waterslide, I love the pics you posted; my dream kitchen has dark wood cabinets and stainless steel appliances. The house I'm buying has the appliances I want, but the cabinets are blond wood - dirt and grease show up easier...
    Waterslide likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

This is almost my kitchen now. It's the same cabinets and I think the same countertops. I had it redone last year. The only things majorly different is that I have a tuscan stone tiled floor and red paint instead of green. The stainless goes really well in there. Nice and crisp. I love dark cabinets and wanted them originally, but with the stainless and red, I just knew it would be way too dark.
    Brookie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    I am tired od stainless as well. I have black appliances. If I lived alone I would have a retro fabulous kitchen with robin's egg blue appliances.
    Like the "SMEG" fridge in the Greek island home thread? YUP. Robin's egg to kinda ice blue would all be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

I thought I was the only one obsessed with robin's egg blue! I love that with red or very, very dark pinks.
    One of my fave color combos.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I've been off googling now. Does this not make you drool?

And this:

Yes. Colored appliances are wonderful. Any clear, bright color IMO. Not muddy, sickly shades. You can't be expected to enjoy food around those. Blech.

I've always longed for a 1950s pink gas stove. One of the awesome ones with two ovens and a clocktimer and a hot plate on top. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Do I ever agree! I like old houses with character, and I love it when they have retained all of the original fixtures and finishes. I plum DESPISE seeing an old house plastered over with granite and stainless steel. It's cold and soulless.
    Can you just become the ruler of everything then please? Because I fucking HATE it when people ruin beautiful old houses. They take all the warmth and history and personality out. It's so depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I didn't either! That's really cool!

Remember the 70's when "earthtones" was the trend and the popular colors for appliances were:

Harvest Gold
    Coppertone
    Avocado

Coppertone? So that was what that butt fug-ugly dysfunctional electric THING in our kitchen was called. I hated that stove so much I killed it with evil psychic vibes. The whole kitchen was dark, stuffy, and BROWN. No wonder I did not learn to cook as a teen. I spent as little time in that dismal room as possible. Grab food, run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I actually just bought a new fridge (old one was threatening to kick the bucket) along with a new washer, and I ended up going with white. I've always liked stainless, but I think I'm just tired of it. I also have a smallish kitchen that's not super-bright, so I wanted to create a more seamless, clean, bright look...
    Yes, yes, yes! I like really fresh, bright orange retro appliances as well, with white walls and green accents (natural, like plants).

This kitchen needs a bit of a reno, and because we went with the white appliances I may end up doing all white cabinets and then painting the walls a fresh Kelly green and introducing some green accessories. I adore grey, but I fear I'll tire of it and find it cold.

We do have a stainless steel microwave, but that's not a big deal to replace, and since we're low on space we may just get a white one that incorporates a range hood/vent.
    I LOVE the idea of orange kitchen decor. Orange is a hard color to wear, but so cheerful in a room. I could see grey appliances being lovely with a red and white kitchen, though it might look a little bit too "Betty Boop/80's-do-50's-badly if one weren't careful.

Kelly green walls are a fabulous idea. You know, those Kitchen Aid appliances come in so many colors now...check out the apple green and tangerine:

Waterslide likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Love my stainless and it is easy to keep clean. The salesman told me to not waste money on the stainless wipes because furniture polish does the same thing. I use a rag and lemon pledge and they stay clean for long periods of time.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I've tried the pledge thing and mine felt waxy after that. I use the Method spray and wipes and they do pretty good.

Well when you have hordes of marauding teen and tween boys pillaging your kitchen, stainless is a bitch to keep looking nice.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I had/have tons of teens in and out. I made/make my daughter wipe it down the next morning.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post

I've always longed for a 1950s pink gas stove. One of the awesome ones with two ovens and a clocktimer and a hot plate on top. *sigh*
    This first one looks electric....and the 2nd pic is gas. How cool is this pink!!! LOVE IT!!

I am presently refrigerator shopping because mine's on it's last legs. It's 10 years old. So as I'm shopping, I tell the appliance salesperson that I'm annoyed that my fridge only lasted 10 years. He replies, "That's the average nowadays, 8-12 years." My parent's fridge lasted over 20 years, and the fridge in my basement is at least 15 years old. Then he tries to give me some BS that they are so energy efficient now, that the cost of running those old fridges to equals to a brand new fridge. Seriously? Oh, and they think I'm going to spend 2K on a fridge that's only expected to last 10 years? I think not.

I will be going with basic black, which is what the rest of my appliances are.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Black furniture must be a hell to keep clean. Smallest amount of dust is visible, expecially when the sun reflects on it.

Not really. My whole living room set is black and most of the dining room is a dark brown/black. I just use good furniture polish and change air filters frequently and it doesn't really get dirty at all. A quick wipe down maybe once a week does fine.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I've been off googling now. Does this not make you drool?

Did I not post a follow-up? We haven't renovated our kitchen yet, but I totally bought this in red for the guest bunkie! It's adorable and works great in the space.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I bet it's so cute! Where did you find it?

I got mine on eBay. There are actually a lot of rather bland/contemporary looking ones on the market, but they're not even that well-reviewed, so I went for the red retro, the exact brand as that blue one.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information