Login to remove the ads!
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

acually it looks small like this^^ but is turning color. I doubt this 'Japanese Orange" is the same as what your parents have..it is really a citrus relative(poncirus)..it is not actually a true citrus. It comes actually from China..loses it's leaves over the winter(deciduous)..and is hardy to -15 to -20 below zero Fahrenheit!!!!. The 'oranges' are VERY bitter and can only be used for seasoning or a very strong lemonade(with LOTS of sugar). This plant is not even supposed to grow here..and certainly not produce fruit..which is why I am so pleased with it.

more pics of Poncirus:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
    [/URL[/URL

*just went out in the cold and drizzle and took some pics while it is still there and not destroyed by some animal/human*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

It could be Yuzu that you have?

http://gourmetsleuth.com/yuzu.htm

very sour and bitter but it's good when you mix the juice with soy sauce and use it as a dressing

The one in my pic isn't though and the fruit is actually for viewing only (that's why my mom used it for her flower arrangement), they are not meant to be eaten but I got curious and ate some and put them in my smoothie.

Oh actually, yours looks a lot smaller than the Yuzu tree. Prolly one of those viewing only kind of orange tree then. But I'd still eat them. hehe

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    It could be Yuzu that you have?

http://gourmetsleuth.com/yuzu.htm

very sour and bitter but it's good when you mix the juice with soy sauce and use it as a dressing

The one in my pic isn't though and the fruit is actually for viewing only (that's why my mom used it for her flower arrangement), they are not meant to be eaten but I got curious and ate some and put them in my smoothie.

Oh actually, yours looks a lot smaller than the Yuzu tree. Prolly one of those viewing only kind of orange tree then. But I'd still eat them. hehe
    Nope. This is a strange citrus relative I am talking about. I have both the regular and the dwarf form 'Flying Dragon' It is the dwarf form that is fruiting the solitary fruit.
    Here is a link to the plant(pretty good link. but they say it is not edible and it is..but just barely.)http://www.saalfelds.freeserve.co.uk/poncirus.htm

Also the site says it will survive to -20C..the dwarf form is actually hardy to -15 to -20 F..it survived -10 F here with no damage whatsoever.

A*O

If you have bitter oranges then you could try making good old English marmalade (orange jam). Loads of recipes on Google. I made some using the miniature oranges we call cumquats and it's delicious on toast.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Just saw this thread and I thought that I'd post on it since it's almost spring. I have a question about Hostas. Is there a variety that can tolerate a lot of sun? Also is it too early to start planting seeds indoors? Should I wait until February or something?
    BTW has anyone ever tried building their own small backyard pond? I am really thinking of doing it but, I don't know how hard it is to do on my own.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    Just saw this thread and I thought that I'd post on it since it's almost spring. I have a question about Hostas. Is there a variety that can tolerate a lot of sun? Also is it too early to start planting seeds indoors? Should I wait until February or something?
    BTW has anyone ever tried building their own small backyard pond? I am really thinking of doing it but, I don't know how hard it is to do on my own.
    Backyard pond is pretty easy to build. Tons of plans online or you can just buy a kit at any gardening supply place. We have a small one filled with goldfish in the backyard for awhile and I loved it.

Depends on where you are about starting the seeds..

Thanks. i really want a pond and I've been reading tons of pond books. This is the first time we've had a backyard. Glad to know they're easy to make.

Hostas do best in shade and damp climates, which is why they grow so well in the Pacific Northwest. I've never heard of one that was suited to sun, but you could Google it.

Zee

I have some hostas in sunny spots. You need to water them much more frequently. I think the variety I have is called Honey Bells. My area is not very sunny, so we have a little bit more leeway.

A great place to buy Hostas is Gilbert H Wilde. When we moved into our house, we bought some hostas at a local nursery and spent a small fortune. Now, I just order their surplus hostas for about $1.00 per plant. You get a box of assorted unnamed varieties.

Congratulations on your new back yard!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I have some paperwhites growing in pots. They're a little droopy, how do I tell if they're under or over watered? I last watered them Monday.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    I have some hostas in sunny spots. You need to water them much more frequently. I think the variety I have is called Honey Bells. My area is not very sunny, so we have a little bit more leeway.

A great place to buy Hostas is Gilbert H Wilde. When we moved into our house, we bought some hostas at a local nursery and spent a small fortune. Now, I just order their surplus hostas for about $1.00 per plant. You get a box of assorted unnamed varieties.

Congratulations on your new back yard!
    What is Gilbert Wilde? Is it a catalog?
    I am excited about the new backyard. Coming from NYC where we had a concrete yard to now having a large green backyard is great. I'm trying to fill it with a lot of plants and a water feature because I really want to get rid of the grass. I've never mowed in my life and I don't want to.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Well crapola! I just went outside and I see all my spring bulbs are trying to come up even if it's Arctic cold. The purple blossums of hyacinth are just starting to emerge. I'm wondering if any of these bulbs are going to survive the cold. Hot fall and winter transitioning into icy just about the time they started sprouting.

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    I haven't but I plan on making one in the spring. Reader's Digest has some really clear instructions. I can't stand their magazine, but I like their website!
    Water Garden and Stream: Planning and Design
    Water Garden and Waterfall: Design and Construction

(I used their instructions to make my kitchen countertops and they look great! Granite Tile Kitchen Countertops: Material Options)

I'm trying to get things to bloom. I've got a mock orange, a flowering almond and a forsythia that have never put out a single blossom between them. They have been established for five years and are in well drained soil in a location that receives full sun throughout the day. Lovely foliage though. Anyone have any ideas?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    I haven't but I plan on making one in the spring. Reader's Digest has some really clear instructions. I can't stand their magazine, but I like their website!
    Water Garden and Stream: Planning and Design
    Water Garden and Waterfall: Design and Construction

(I used their instructions to make my kitchen countertops and they look great! Granite Tile Kitchen Countertops: Material Options)

I'm trying to get things to bloom. I've got a mock orange, a flowering almond and a forsythia that have never put out a single blossom between them. They have been established for five years and are in well drained soil in a location that receives full sun throughout the day. Lovely foliage though. Anyone have any ideas?

Wow all of those should be blooming after five years in the ground. I have no idea of why all of them would not be blooming. I would look it up online or something. I would say it might be they are getting too much nitrogen..but really after 5 years and in full sun? It is weird that none of the three has bloomed yet.

I used to have a water feature. It was one of those oak half whiskey barrels. They have a liner you can get for them. I buried it in a raised bed and had the water tube snake out under some rocks, and then come out inside some overhanging rocks to make a small waterfall. It got to be too much of a hassle with cleaning and leaves and stuff..so I filled it in with sand and made it a kind of sandy zen-type of garden.

Default Spring garden planting! What are you getting?

Time to start ordering online, if you plan to-several garden spots are sold out already! What are you doing this year?? anything new?

I ordered ground covers that bloom & sun garden plants plus one group that was all blue,purple & white for sun.

Also everyone: what is the one plant you couldn't do without and think everyone else should try...

Mine would have to be cosmos-they are cheerful,pretty & thrive on neglect!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information