Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Default Re: The Plants/Gardening Thread!

hm..does grass count? No..not really..unless you count the crazy woman next door with about 60 flower pots in her front yard..

trust me its 60 I'VE counted as they moved them all in..haha
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

SVZ

we had an aloe plant, it got way too huge so we had to give away plus they smell.

Lots of succulents will grow there..iceplant is a good one. Others like sedums would be good groundcovers. A*O would be a good one to ask..alot of native Australian plants would grow well in California..as long as it is not complete desert like the Death Valley or something. Succulents also act as a fire retardant as they store water.in case you are in an area that is subject to brush/wild fires. They are actually recommended.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

You shoulda kept the aloe vera plants svz. I've seen huge ones at health food stores for like $100 a pot.
    You can eat them and use them on your skin etc.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Creeping Red Sedum was the succulent I was thinking of for poor soil conditions and desert. I used it in the bare nasty clay patches of my garden and they thrive in the worse conditions.

I harvested my apricots this week(all 3 dozen of them..oh well). I have them in a bowl in the fridge and am enjoying just a couple each day...spreading it out so I can have them for a little while instead of gobbling them all up at once. These two little tiny trees that are not even six feet tall or so that are only in their third year(from twigs basically) and they produced this year and last year. They don't recommend them in this area but they have done just fine. The old one I had and had to cut down(got too big) never ever had a disease problem or anything. and these new ones have never had any problems either so far.?????

A*O

Disaster! The lovely gum tree outside the house has been looking a bit iffy for a while now. Anyway, we've now been told it has the dreaded bastard Armillaria Root Rot!! No treatment and no cure Here's the gory details :
    http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/informa...laria_root_rot

And two pics of my poor tree (click to enlarge for the full fungal horror)

They say the disease doesn't spread easily but I'm not sure sure and I'd hate my other trees to get it so I'm almost tempted to have this tree removed now rather than wait for it to die slowly. It will leave a big 'hole' in our streetscape and some much-needed shade in the summertime. I'm SO pissed off about this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    Disaster! The lovely gum tree outside the house has been looking a bit iffy for a while now. Anyway, we've now been told it has the dreaded bastard Armillaria Root Rot!! No treatment and no cure Here's the gory details :
    http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/informa...laria_root_rot

And two pics of my poor tree (click to enlarge for the full fungal horror)

They say the disease doesn't spread easily but I'm not sure sure and I'd hate my other trees to get it so I'm almost tempted to have this tree removed now rather than wait for it to die slowly. It will leave a big 'hole' in our streetscape and some much-needed shade in the summertime. I'm SO pissed off about this.
    Is that brown crap at the base the fungus?..it looks disgusting! Remove the tree and plant a fast growing appropriate tree that is resistant. There is nothign worse than watching something wither away from a terminal disease. Sometimes it is best to be ruthless with our plants. The sooner it is gone the sooner it's replacement will be in and growing. It sucks when landscape plants sicken and die! I feel your pain!

A*O

Yes, that's the fungus - God knows what's happening underground where it really attacks the roots. You can see the scarring on the tree trunk too with 'weeping' gashes and the bark is falling off in sheets. The tree, bless, is flowering and I can see new green leaf shoots growing but they say that terminally sick trees make a last desperate attempt to be pollinated etc before they give up and die. I had a sick apple tree once that never really gave any decent fruit and then one year we had a bumper crop and 6 months later it was dead. It's almost like they 'know' something's wrong and have to procreate one last time. Spooky.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Oh man, I have a similiar situation going on with my pear trees. Some fungus has gotten to them and I've been spraying them with an anti fungal but it's only slowing down the rot.

On the other hand I have a bumper crop of tomatoes, squash and cukes, enough to live on fresh veggies all summer.

A*O, that just makes me sad. I love trees, and to lose a lovely, mature tree like that is hard. Sojita is right though, it doesn't look like it's gonna make it. Plus, you gotta save the others.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

The tree actually belongs to the local council because it's on what we quaintly call the 'nature strip' outside the house so it's their call on how to deal with it unfortunately which, being the council, means they will do nothing until it dies or falls down and kills someone. But I've asked them to come and have a look and see if I can persuade them to chop it down and replace it with something that won't get the disease (unfortunately most Aussie native species are vulnerable).
    Dame Edna Everage

Well any southerners have Crape Myrtles? Are they blooming yet? Mine have budded out and are ready to bloom..they normally don't until late August here???? Are yours blooming already?

A bunch of them are blooming here, and I thought it was a little early! I only have 2, and they're pretty young & don't get as much sun as they should, so they're not blooming yet. Well, the older one has one bloom. But yeah, they're blooming all over.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Zee

My hydrangea blooms are huge this year. Thanks for all of the suggestions. When do you prune hydrangeas? I never have because of fears of losing blooms for following year.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information