Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

I am in CA, but in zone 8/9, I moved from the coast and it gets hot where I live now and somewhat cold in the winter at night, it's taken some work finding what grows in the heat. My yard had nothing and I like plants that flower or have some color and stay green all year. I have had success with different lavenders, different lantanas, Japanese boxwoods, citrus trees (tango, oranges, lemon, lime, mandarins, grapefruit), raspberries, strawberries, bougainvillea, salvias, blackberry bushes, ornamental grasses, tomato plants, butterfly bushes, rockrose bushes, blueberry bushes, Mexican sage, heavenly bamboo, cape honeysuckle, azaleas, hydrangeas next to my house in pots, apple trees, palm trees, geraniums. We don't have any real roses, but my daughter picked out one called brilliant pink iceberg rose and it's growing well here with tons of big showy flowers, she loves it. There are other iceberg roses in different colors too.

I thought my list might give you some ideas. Maybe some of these will work for you.
    Oh and I have found it useful to find an actual plant nursery and avoid places like Home Depot because the nursery people know what plants are native and have tons of variety. There's one in the hills near my house and it's 35 acres of native plants, everything I wanted I couldn't find until I went to see them and the prices are great.

OK, anybody planting anything this year? I've planted two more cherry trees and 2 muscadine vines... everything seems to be doing well so far.... Sojiita, what do you have planned this year? McJag? Anyone?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'll be planting some perennials out front as soon as it's warm enough to dig out the dried up, dead sticks that currently occupy the space. Something red/orange/yellow.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

We just had a late in the year cold snap-like right now it is 35 degrees! I had the yard men cut everything back and am at that "What have I done?" stage. It looks pitiful,my roses slashed back,my crepe myrtles desolate looking. I know in a month it will all be great looking but right now it is scary. My redbud tree out side mother's room window is glorious. My Japanese maple is a show all its own in my back yard, the black cane bamboo is heavenly and could feed several pandas. The Virginia creeper is still blank vine tracks except for a few tiny leaves here & there.
    Last year I planted some tall (about 3') plants that have purple spikey flowers and I want more,can't remember the name. I also want some more tall bushes on the west side to ward off summer sun, but would like them to flower. Have not gotten the chance to go to the nursery yet. I am afraid I might go wild!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Nearly two hundred smackers on eight new plants, plus two bags cow poo, plus two bags native planting soul... minus two bottles Carlton Dry and six hours of planting. And all I feel like I have to show for it is two of the stinking-est hands this side of the rabbit proof fence!

I only went to Bunnings to buy some mulch, but noooo.. I just HAD to take a gander at what colour kangaroo paws they had. Slippery slope. I still have no mulch, and now it's past six and I have to shower and then make a chicken and rice dinner.
    faithanne likes this.

Ah, have faith - the results will totally be worth it!
    Kat Scorp likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I ended up digging up a small evergreen in the back yard and replanting it in a less obtrusive space and planting some small perennials there - little white border flowers (no don't ask me the damn name of them either) and some lilies I unearthed from another place in the yard. My butterfly bush looks awesome this year; it's huge. I bought mostly daisies for my potted plants on the decks and they'll go into the garden at the end of the season. I love daisies!! I bought 3 large (and cheap!) tropical looking plants from my local nursery. I just bought a solar tiki statue on eBay (made an offer for $10 under the asking price and it was immediately accepted); my back yard theme is "Tacky Tiki". I planted all yellows and purples in the back this year.
    Novice likes this.

- Mark Twain

Yellow and purple sounds so pretty! Perhaps we should be applying peer pressure to green-thumbed growers; get y'all to upload some pretty, pretty pictures?

BTW, yesterday I was catching up with a couple friends who couldn't stop laughing at me - I's walking like I had rickets. I had soreness in certain places I didn't even know a person had muscles?!
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Kat I love kangaroo paws! I want to grow natives in my garden beds and they're one of the prettiest. I also want a Christmas Bush - do you have those on your coast?

We've had 2 weeks of torrential rain so I'll be spending this weekend pulling weeds and sweeping up mess.

ETA for the non-antipodeans:

kangaroo paw

christmas bush

which can grow into this

Brookie and rockchick like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

What a stunning plant, faithanne! I love it.

- Mark Twain

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post

christmas bush

Now I'm disappointed! I thought you were getting a head start on some seasonal vajazzling.

Has anyone ever grown lavender from seed? The Lavender in a Can that I got is still alive (I know, I'm shocked too!) but it seems to have grown very stringy, to the point where it can't support its own weight. I'm watering it every other day (as per the instructions) and it's on a sunny window sill but it is still super weedy.
    Brookie likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Coming back to look at your pretty flowers and nice looking dog(I love dogs!) puts a smile of my face! Such a nice happy comforting pic!

If the weather is ok I am putting flowers out this weekend!

*if I had that house, it would be perfect for scarlet flowers-scarlet and gray = Ohio State!!!!!
    Smurfette,

Love your house, garden and nice dog.

fgg

Just spent about 5 hours in the yard yesterday with my parents trimmimg, weeding, planting, etc. Yard work is so tough but so worth it.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Now I'm disappointed! I thought you were getting a head start on some seasonal vajazzling.

Has anyone ever grown lavender from seed? The Lavender in a Can that I got is still alive (I know, I'm shocked too!) but it seems to have grown very stringy, to the point where it can't support its own weight. I'm watering it every other day (as per the instructions) and it's on a sunny window sill but it is still super weedy.
    When you had a few plants you probably should have separated them & planted then in other pots.

I've also spent lots of hours in the garden, now I a m sunburnt, sweaty, sore and the garden still looks like shit. I also am nettled all up my arms

Oh! And the garden looks no better!
    Free Charmed.

I have planted 4 different varieties of plum trees (Billington, Black Doris, Luisa, Hawera) a peach (Golden Queen) all semi dwarf, apricot (Annie) dwarf, 10X feijoa's (Sellowiana) seedlings, 4X Oranges (Valencia). I planted 5X apple trees last year (Braeburn, Golden delicious, Splendor, Royal Gala, Granny Smith) semi dwarf. Dahlias 4 different colors and a soap plant it's not in flower yet. Most of the fruit trees are New Zealand varieties.

Thread Information