Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

I am in Zone 8B and recently did some landscaping on the new house. Our crotons, Japanese boxwoods, and crepe myrtles are doing great. Salvias (red and blue) are hanging in there but not optimal. Vinca are doing pretty well. Succulents are doing pretty well. Ornamental purple flash was beautiful when we got it but they are dying now after about two weeks.

My salvia (same red/pirple colors) is doing great and my yellow lantana is bubbling all over. I love lantana, so many butterflies.
    My Virginia creeper in now covering my bedroom windows and keeping the heat off the brick walls. It is so pretty, looking out the bedroom window is a treat.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    My salvia (same red/pirple colors) is doing great and my yellow lantana is bubbling all over. I love lantana, so many butterflies.
    My Virginia creeper in now covering my bedroom windows and keeping the heat off the brick walls. It is so pretty, looking out the bedroom window is a treat.
    How often do you water your salvia? I'm worried that they are burning up, but I don't want to drown them. I really want to plant some lantana. Love the way they look, and they remind me of the summer camp I attended as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    How often do you water your salvia? I'm worried that they are burning up, but I don't want to drown them. I really want to plant some lantana. Love the way they look, and they remind me of the summer camp I attended as a child.
    We are limited to twice a week still. They thrive on high temps & you can overwater pretty easily.
    The lantana the landscaper planted was popcorn-pinks & yellows mixed. I think it costs more. Don't bother! By the 3rd or 4th year it was all yellow.
    He also planted yellow sun drops around my trees and it just whooshes out beautifully.
    If you really want your monies worth, try a bed of KnockOut roses! They are easy care, cut back once a year in March and bloom for 9 full months, really more. They have to have at least 6 hours of sun,though.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What about drift roses too? They look lovely. Drift®*Roses I think that the might be prettier then knock-out roses http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm...oplants.splash

My favourite roses are what we call old roses, they seem to be called Romantica here http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm
    Free Charmed.

I will definitely put in some KnockOut Roses! And thanks for the advice about the popcorn vs. yellow lantana. We also put in an oak tree and a lemon tree in the backyard. Both are doing well right now and I hope they'll survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    What about drift roses too? They look lovely. Drift®*Roses I think that the might be prettier then knock-out roses The Knock Out® Family of Roses

My favourite roses are what we call old roses, they seem to be called Romantica here Welcome to Conard Pyle
    Those are so beautiful. Knock out is a better choice for my yard because they get 3-4 feet tall, presenting a bank of rose bushes, they are tall and sort of formal. But drift roses are so light & airy. I would love those.
    The Romantica looks just like the wild roses that covered banks in front of my Grandmothers house on an old country road. They were pink and so lovely. That almost hurts my heart with longing. I think I must have some.

I can see why you have made your choices. We're fairly country & I think that is why I like the drift roses.

If you want smelly roses, I can recommend William Lobb - dark red & smells lovely. We used to have one staked against a wall.

Last edited by Novice; July 1st, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Free Charmed.

I can see why you have made your choices. We're fairly country & I think that is why I like the drift roses.

If you want smelly roses, I can recommend William Lobb - dark red & smells lovely. We used to have one staked against a wall.

Those are beautiful... though, I'm not 100% sure we can get those in the US...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Those are beautiful... though, I'm not 100% sure we can get those in the US...
    Found them here:
    William Lobb - Rose 1412 - The Antique Rose Emporium

This sounds interesting if you have a lot of shade:

Moss Milkshake Grow Your Own Shade-Loving Moss. This natural moss mixture is an easy and inexpensive way to cover larger areas of your yard that get little or no sun and have a low pH. Simply mix with water and spread over the ground. Once established (2-3 months), minimal watering is needed. Requires no fertilizer or herbicides. It's virtually maintenance-free. Covers 15-20 sq. ft..

From Whatever Works catalogue.

If anyone needs any moss, I have acres of it in my lawn.....
    Free Charmed.

If anyone needs any moss, I have acres of it in my lawn.....
    No fair,Novice! You get the best of everything. Acres of moss! What a lovely treat.

It's a weed, holds the rain we get every day & is slippy when wet.
    Free Charmed.

It's a weed, holds the rain we get every day & is slippy when wet.
    But it looks lovely and I envy that. Don't walk on it! It's too pretty.

Thread Information