Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    On the plus side, Soj- some of my verbena is hanging on!
    Amazing that anything is hanging on! But nice that something is holding on.

I hate to say it, but you kind of need a hurricane to head that way(and give some long soaking rains). Maybe coming in between Corpus and Brownsville (empty basically) and then moving up and stalling out with deep, long, soaking rain.

I think Hurricane Allen broke the 1980 heat/drought in Texas?

Looks like Nate(in the gulf now) will go Mexico way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Amazing that anything is hanging on! But nice that something is holding on.

I hate to say it, but you kind of need a hurricane to head that way(and give some long soaking rains). Maybe coming in between Corpus and Brownsville (empty basically) and then moving up and stalling out with deep, long, soaking rain.

I think Hurricane Allen broke the 1980 heat/drought in Texas?

Looks like Nate(in the gulf now) will go Mexico way.
    Do not feel like the Lone Ranger. Our weatherman was almost weepy when no computer would say it was coming in our direction.
    Mexico gets it all. We are sad.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww McJag, that really sucks. Even though I complain about our short growing season here and the cold, I'd much rather have that than have to deal with drought and water rationing. At least here, we've got a ton of plants that are adapted to the conditions, and even though it's cold and relatively dry, we still end up with our rain barrels always full. It would be so depressing to watch everything you've planted just withering away and not be able to do anything about it . I hope you get some rain soon.

Soj - I know what you mean about not being able to resist a plant. At least your maple will have a bit of a chance with you, rather than just ending up in a dumpster at the end of the season like it probably would've at the garden centre. It'll know a little bit of love even if it doesn't end up making it. Okay, I think I do waaaayyyy too much anthropomorphizing with plants!

Speaking of, am I the only crazy person who talks to my plants while I'm working in the garden or watering the ones in the house?
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    Speaking of, am I the only crazy person who talks to my plants while I'm working in the garden or watering the ones in the house?
    No. I don't do it, but the previous owner of our house told us that the neighbour wakes up every morning at five to tend and talk to his roses. And he does have one of the most impressive rose gardens I've ever seen in a private yard. Just dozens upon dozens of gorgeous red roses spilling over the trellises. I take strolls by his house solely to admire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    No. I don't do it, but the previous owner of our house told us that the neighbour wakes up every morning at five to tend and talk to his roses. And he does have one of the most impressive rose gardens I've ever seen in a private yard. Just dozens upon dozens of gorgeous red roses spilling over the trellises. I take strolls by his house solely to admire them.
    I planted four double 'Knock Out' shrub roses last year, and they are just getting by. Not growing, not dying. I do not talk to my plants, but I might start by threatening them. 'Grow or be dug up and DIE' may be the right words.

I can't be too 'close' to my plants because:

-they may die...I have grieved over lost plants...seriously..almost like a pet.
    -you may have to kill them. Seriously, the key to being a good gardener/plant person is ruthlessness. You must be able to prune, cut, and if needed, remove a plant that is just not working. A plant that is not working, in the wrong place, etc. is really nothing more than a weed. If I can dig something up and keep it alive if it needs removed, then I will-and give it to someone. But if not, then if it needs to go for whatever reason, then I will be ruthless and kill it.

^^So true. I've finally started realizing that but still have a hard time.

I had to prune a massive and very unhappy ficus the other day and spent the whole time soothing it, saying "It's okay! You're going to feel so much better after this, I promise".
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I planted four double 'Knock Out' shrub roses last year, and they are just getting by. Not growing, not dying. I do not talk to my plants, but I might start by threatening them. 'Grow or be dug up and DIE' may be the right words.

Soj, make sure they are getting at least 6 hours of sunlight. If not, move them.
    My knock-outs are 4 feet tall! They quit blooming when it was so hot and just before the heat wave broke they started budding out again. Now I have them blooming once more. I love those so much.

Oh-and my lantana is outdoing itself. No heat is too high for those darlings.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    ^^So true. I've finally started realizing that but still have a hard time.

I had to prune a massive and very unhappy ficus the other day and spent the whole time soothing it, saying "It's okay! You're going to feel so much better after this, I promise".
    It can be hard to kill good plants that are just in the wrong place(especially if they are too crowded because in your plant craziness you overplanted. I have had to cut down a healthy Apricot tree, a beautiful weeping Katsura tree, and some nice Colonnade Apple trees, just because I planted them too close to other things, and they were getting too big. Hard to have to chop down something that is healthy, pretty, and doing well-because you planted it too close to other even prettier things.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Soj, make sure they are getting at least 6 hours of sunlight. If not, move them.
    My knock-outs are 4 feet tall! They quit blooming when it was so hot and just before the heat wave broke they started budding out again. Now I have them blooming once more. I love those so much.

Oh-and my lantana is outdoing itself. No heat is too high for those darlings.
    I think they are doomed-they are too crowded together(see above)- my worst planting error. Plus they have a gravel underlayer-they only have about six inches of good soil. They have a southern exposure to get the most sun. I water them freely(roses with good drainage and fertilizer cannot be overwatered and these are in a raised bed). I might try and fertilizer them more-I will see how they do over the winter and how they look next spring.

Maybe I have not given them a chance to get very established? by next year I will either get rid of them, move them, or, if they are doing better, fertilizer and pamper them to get the best of them.

Maybe next spring I will take two of the four out and try them somewhere else and see if thinning them might help?

The worst thing: other knockout roses I see around are thriving! fuckers.

I really do have a long term problem of cramming too much into too small of a space. I am a collector really when it comes to plants, and I don't have the room (or my own land) to be a collector. *sigh*

who knows anything about corn? hub decided to not do my little garden this year (its pictured somewhere in this thread) and he planted corn. its like 7 feet tall. When does the freaking corn come in?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Soj, those roses need to be at least 3' apart and 4 might be better. They spread. Mine bloom most of the winter,too. Right after our big snow, there they were-19 blooms just from my dining room window. They are worth a fight. Give them time.

I think I need to move some red currant bushes/trees. And also transplant some wee maple trees. Dpes anyone know the best time of year to do this? Should they be in dormant mode or anything first?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I think I need to move some red currant bushes/trees. And also transplant some wee maple trees. Dpes anyone know the best time of year to do this? Should they be in dormant mode or anything first?
    November is best.

My November or your November? Best I can tell, I'm in Zone 4.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I'd go with November that equals "the end of the growing season but before the ground is totally frozen & you're unable to dig"... In fact I'd do it before the start of the frost if you can...
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I'd go with November that equals "the end of the growing season but before the ground is totally frozen & you're unable to dig"... In fact I'd do it before the start of the frost if you can...
    this. plant bare root trees & roses about mid-fall.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thread Information