Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

OOO,Novice! Sialia has given you a marvelous list! I can't grow any of these, so plant some for me. Poppies,please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^You can't grow poppies?! Wow, I assumed they could grow anywhere since they do well here.

I always figured that our conditions are difficult but I guess that having extremely hot dry summers would be more difficult than relatively mild dry summers, even given our cold winters.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to grow orange trees and bougainvilleas and magnolias, though!
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    I'm a northerner but probably totally different conditions to yours - super dry, very cold winters, zone 0-2 depending on whether you use the Canada or USDA ratings. Not sure what the equivalent over there would be. We're kind of similar to northern Sweden.

These are some things that do really well in my garden and elsewhere up here. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get these over there, or what an equivalent would be, or how they do in really windy conditions. Also, we only have snowshoe hares and they don't care about garden plants so I'm not sure whether any of these are rabbit-proof.

Delphiniums
    'Hansa' Rugosa roses - they don't seem to care about wind, etc, like a lot of other roses do, and they're very hardy
    Alpine asters
    Campanula carpatica (Carpathian bellflower?)
    Lily of the valley - they like shade and wet, I think
    Cornus canadensis (bunchberry)
    Bleeding hearts (Dicentra)
    Cranesbill geraniums
    Coralbells (Heuchera sanguinea splendens)
    Ostrich ferns (Matteuchia strutheopteris)
    Icelandic poppies (Papaver nudicaule)
    Primroses (Primula cortusoides are the ones that do really well in my garden)
    Oxeye daisies - unbelievably invasive here so I guess they like it
    Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium caeruleum) - another one that's really invasive and seems to grow anywhere, especially the sides of highways. Beautiful, though.
    Subalpine daisy
    Cutleaf Anemone
    Veronicas
    Globeflower (Trollius)
    Potentilla (Cinquefoil)

Hopefully this will help you out a bit, at least in figuring out a few plants that are pretty tough. If they can survive here, then I figure they'd probably be happy almost anywhere.
    Our temp is between (normally) -2 to 20C. We've had a couple of bad winters where ist been -16C here. Not fun. The main problem is the rain fall & lack of warmth, but thats really because I'm so high, the local town (in the valley) is much better off.

I recongise a number of these, I've already tried lily of the valley & failed. i have an ox-eye daisy in a pot that seems to do ok and I like geraniums..I'm gonna look into the others.

McJag - poppies? These might help
    Growing Poppies in Texas Zone 8 | eHow.com
    Poppin’ Up Poppies
    poppies texas - Google Search
    Free Charmed.

^If you check out geraniums, make sure to look for the Geranium genus, rather than Pelargonium, which are commonly called geraniums but actually aren't true geraniums. The cranesbills (true geraniums) don't look like the faux (ha) geraniums at all.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Yeah, I get the geranium not the pelagonium, the only pelargonium I'd have is lord bute..... but it probably wouldn't last.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    ^You can't grow poppies?! Wow, I assumed they could grow anywhere since they do well here.

I always figured that our conditions are difficult but I guess that having extremely hot dry summers would be more difficult than relatively mild dry summers, even given our cold winters.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to grow orange trees and bougainvilleas and magnolias, though!
    I have tried poppies many times. I gave up. It may be our heavy clay soil. Even with layers of topsoil, their roots may grow too deep. My Aunt in Mississippi, also zone 8, has great patches of them.
    I have no orange trees, but mandevillas grow easily. I have 3 huge pots of them, beautiful blooms way tall. My magnolia tree is doing so well. Dwarf (but easily 15 feet tall) it had up to 20 blooms in the spring, but has given up in this heat. My verbena is going wild, it loves the heat.
    From sitting on my porch I see, Virginia Creeper vines covering the brick, a beautiful heat stopper. Medium pink mandevilla blooms going up a post. Then red Knockout roses, white blooming crepe myrtles
    and those giant scarlet geraniums, followed by another crepe myrtle, also white. When the wind blows it scatters the petals like snow flakes.
    I have an idea, Novice! Come visit me and soak up all the sun you can stand.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJag - one of the links I posted for you was about growing poppies in Dallas.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I have tried poppies many times. I gave up. It may be our heavy clay soil. Even with layers of topsoil, their roots may grow too deep. My Aunt in Mississippi, also zone 8, has great patches of them.
    I have no orange trees, but mandevillas grow easily. I have 3 huge pots of them, beautiful blooms way tall. My magnolia tree is doing so well. Dwarf (but easily 15 feet tall) it had up to 20 blooms in the spring, but has given up in this heat. My verbena is going wild, it loves the heat.
    From sitting on my porch I see, Virginia Creeper vines covering the brick, a beautiful heat stopper. Medium pink mandevilla blooms going up a post. Then red Knockout roses, white blooming crepe myrtles
    and those giant scarlet geraniums, followed by another crepe myrtle, also white. When the wind blows it scatters the petals like snow flakes.
    Sigh, that sounds heavenly. I swear I was born to live somewhere in the southern U.S. So how the hell I ended up here, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    McJag - one of the links I posted for you was about growing poppies in Dallas.
    Yes,Novice. And I read it to see if there was anything I have not tried. There wasn't. Sigh.

Sialia, you come visit anytime,too!

Sorry McJag. Maybe in pots then?
    Free Charmed.

All of my stuff has gotten through the summer ok-holding their own or growing well-despite the silver maple root competition. Decent rainfall has helped much.

I just bought a coral bark Japanese Maple (Sengo-kaku) because it was half off and very cheap at a store I was at. I have no place for it so I am trying to figure out where to put it. They do not do well here, but I just could not resist the bargain. You know how that is with plants? *sigh* lol

Ooh! Nice!
    Will it go in a big pit for now? I have a beach tree (self seeded into a herb pot from my old place) in a pot 18"x18". I've just moves it from the (exposed) front I'd the house to the back, chucked a load more soil & fed it & it's gone from being v sad with yellow leaves to growing many green leaves in the last 3 weeks

I had a triumph over the summer - my friend gave me sone comfry & she was gobsmacked that I managed to kill it. She's been trying for 2 yes to get rid of it from her garden; so I think that I'm going to dig a load more up from her garden later..
    Free Charmed.

My new stuff is pretty much ruined. My grass is barely hanging on. I don't care how much you water (and that is rationed) nothing replaces real rain. I could just sit down and weep.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Ooh! Nice!
    Will it go in a big pit for now? I have a beach tree (self seeded into a herb pot from my old place) in a pot 18"x18". I've just moves it from the (exposed) front I'd the house to the back, chucked a load more soil & fed it & it's gone from being v sad with yellow leaves to growing many green leaves in the last 3 weeks

I had a triumph over the summer - my friend gave me sone comfry & she was gobsmacked that I managed to kill it. She's been trying for 2 yes to get rid of it from her garden; so I think that I'm going to dig a load more up from her garden later..
    I may have to kill something to find a place for it. I would pot it up(I have over ten half barrel planters now planted, and four empty ones waiting), but things have to be very root hardy to overwinter in pots here. I have a whole collection now of dwarf Colorado blue spruce in containers.

This plant will surely die...but I just could not help myself. I guess I will dig a very large deep hole, plant it and provide heavy mulch, and see what happens.

*I have such limited room and tree root competion-the reason for the container frenzy I have succumbed to!

In containers(permanently, exposed to temps down to -18F so far and surviving..so far)

-Currant bush
    -Juneberry bush
    -Black chokeberry bush
    -dwarf blue spruces(several)
    -two topiary boxwoods(trained as standards)
    -two blueberry bushes
    -another shrub form boxwood
    -black hills spruce
    -shrub juniper

I still have to find space for a black leaved may day tree that I want to keep dwarfed as well.

*sorry McJag about my kidding around about your drought in the other thread...I think I would be in tears myself...

..I saw on the news that Texas had the hottest summer of any state ever recorded in the United States-beat out 1934. Hottest summer ever + no rain = grieving plant people.

On the plus side, Soj- some of my verbena is hanging on!

Thread Information