Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Oh for crying out loud - I was all excited last night because I noticed that I had pansies blooming and a bunch of other things coming up...and then today we got about 3" of snow! And it's wet, heavy snow. Ugh.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

A fucking rabbit ate all my grape leaves and NOW a fucking deer ate every leaf and new branch off both my cherry trees. I want them dead! I'm going to settle for buying a repellant but I really want to kill the furry little fuckers right now.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    A fucking rabbit ate all my grape leaves and NOW a fucking deer ate every leaf and new branch off both my cherry trees. I want them dead! I'm going to settle for buying a repellant but I really want to kill the furry little fuckers right now.
    Sorry to laugh Mel but that is funny.

'Furry woodland creatures' and all...till they turn all feeding machine on your plants. Then they. must. die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm betting your bro's or an uncle would love to take care of this problem for you lol
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I stopped counting at 60 massive blooms on my pink hydranga bushes! They are only close to knee high, but in the perfect place. Right out my dining room window that goes almost down to the floor. My coneflows are beautiful & all the new stuff is growing like crazy. So far so good!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Sorry to laugh Mel but that is funny.

'Furry woodland creatures' and all...till they turn all feeding machine on your plants. Then they. must. die.
    I know! Usually, I'm all "oh, they are just little animals doing what they do"... but NOW, I'm all Rambo-like and am plotting against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    I'm betting your bro's or an uncle would love to take care of this problem for you lol
    yeah, Gs in town for Ts graduation, if either of those 4 legged monsters show up, they are DEAD!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

omg T's graduation I've been meaning to remind G that his ass is getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    omg T's graduation I've been meaning to remind G that his ass is getting old!
    Shit! In 5 years, the same thing will be happening to us... terrifying, ain't it?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Shut ur pie hole!

*changes the subject*

Can any of you northerns help a cunt out? I want some plants/flowers that will survive the cold/wind/rabbits. And that aren't rhodedendrums. Any suggestions? We're quite high up, always windswept & never really have any summer. We do have plenty of rain though.
    Free Charmed.

Although usually I would ignore any post that uses the word 'cunt' (never seen any woman describe herself with this word--are you ok?) I am a gardener/groundskeeper by trade and have experience growing all kinds of things in all kinds of places.

Novice, if you could provide a better idea of your location and what you would like to see, I might be able to offer some suggestions. For next year.

It is now the middle of July, weeks past the summer solstice. Probably too late for plantings in your location this year but plenty of time to get ready for next year.

What you need?

(and please do not call yourself a cunt ever again)

Location? High (in UK terms), around 220-250 metres above sea level. There is no shelter, a constant wind and lots of rabbits (that eat anything/everything). Oh, and lots (and I mean LOTS) of rain.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Location? High (in UK terms), around 220-250 metres above sea level. There is no shelter, a constant wind and lots of rabbits (that eat anything/everything). Oh, and lots (and I mean LOTS) of rain.
    Going to be 103F-105F (41C) degrees here today. Again.
    This sound darn good to me!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think we reached a max of 12C today, with torrential rain in the afternoon. I had a definately swampy patch in my garden that I'm thinking of getting some bamboo/bullrushes for. I think a land-drain has some tree root growing through it but since we may be expecting lorries in a couple of months we're not going to be digging up the drive yetawhile.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    *changes the subject*

Can any of you northerns help a cunt out? I want some plants/flowers that will survive the cold/wind/rabbits. And that aren't rhodedendrums. Any suggestions? We're quite high up, always windswept & never really have any summer. We do have plenty of rain though.
    I'm a northerner but probably totally different conditions to yours - super dry, very cold winters, zone 0-2 depending on whether you use the Canada or USDA ratings. Not sure what the equivalent over there would be. We're kind of similar to northern Sweden.

These are some things that do really well in my garden and elsewhere up here. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get these over there, or what an equivalent would be, or how they do in really windy conditions. Also, we only have snowshoe hares and they don't care about garden plants so I'm not sure whether any of these are rabbit-proof.

Delphiniums
    'Hansa' Rugosa roses - they don't seem to care about wind, etc, like a lot of other roses do, and they're very hardy
    Alpine asters
    Campanula carpatica (Carpathian bellflower?)
    Lily of the valley - they like shade and wet, I think
    Cornus canadensis (bunchberry)
    Bleeding hearts (Dicentra)
    Cranesbill geraniums
    Coralbells (Heuchera sanguinea splendens)
    Ostrich ferns (Matteuchia strutheopteris)
    Icelandic poppies (Papaver nudicaule)
    Primroses (Primula cortusoides are the ones that do really well in my garden)
    Oxeye daisies - unbelievably invasive here so I guess they like it
    Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium caeruleum) - another one that's really invasive and seems to grow anywhere, especially the sides of highways. Beautiful, though.
    Subalpine daisy
    Cutleaf Anemone
    Veronicas
    Globeflower (Trollius)
    Potentilla (Cinquefoil)

Hopefully this will help you out a bit, at least in figuring out a few plants that are pretty tough. If they can survive here, then I figure they'd probably be happy almost anywhere.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Thread Information