Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

O happy day! Yesterday I got all of my new plants done.
    I decided on white Snowcap Shasta Daisies, back row-Black and Blue Sage (3 feet tall, spikey cobalt blue flowers all summer) in front of that
    May Night Sage (all these look like Salvias) that get 18" high & indigo blue.
    Scattered in Caradonna Meadow Sage , same height but violet blue. Then in the very front verbena, both purple and scarlet.
    All of these perennials ,so with luck mine forever.
    Also, I found 3 biggg mandevillas at the grocery store of all places. Cheap & blooming pink. 2 for the front yard around this big stone post. Gets merciless sun in summer and I needed some shade for my hydrangas. One on the back porch. These are in pots ( I had a hard time finding sqaure ones, but lucked out) because frost will kill them unless I can get them into the garage.
    The garden center also had mulch on sale-buy 2 get one free. 6 did my whole yard.
    Anyhow, when I woke up this morning I was thrilled with how it all looks. I would like to say I planted it all, but Luis and wife from the garden center came and did it all in less than 2 hours.
    My two back beds curve way out, hard to get to and everything had died but weeds. That nasty nutgrass stuff. Yuk.
    I was interested to note Luis used a blunt hachet thing first to get rid of all weeds in maybe 5 minutes. I would have wasted hours. Then he chopped the dirt, added flower bed dirt, planted, then mulched.
    I learned a lot just watching.
    Lord, I am a happy girl!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    O happy day! Yesterday I got all of my new plants done.
    I decided on white Snowcap Shasta Daisies, back row-Black and Blue Sage (3 feet tall, spikey cobalt blue flowers all summer) in front of that
    May Night Sage (all these look like Salvias) that get 18" high & indigo blue.
    Scattered in Caradonna Meadow Sage , same height but violet blue. Then in the very front verbena, both purple and scarlet.
    All of these perennials ,so with luck mine forever.
    Also, I found 3 biggg mandevillas at the grocery store of all places. Cheap & blooming pink. 2 for the front yard around this big stone post. Gets merciless sun in summer and I needed some shade for my hydrangas. One on the back porch. These are in pots ( I had a hard time finding sqaure ones, but lucked out) because frost will kill them unless I can get them into the garage.
    The garden center also had mulch on sale-buy 2 get one free. 6 did my whole yard.
    Anyhow, when I woke up this morning I was thrilled with how it all looks. I would like to say I planted it all, but Luis and wife from the garden center came and did it all in less than 2 hours.
    My two back beds curve way out, hard to get to and everything had died but weeds. That nasty nutgrass stuff. Yuk.
    I was interested to note Luis used a blunt hachet thing first to get rid of all weeds in maybe 5 minutes. I would have wasted hours. Then he chopped the dirt, added flower bed dirt, planted, then mulched.
    I learned a lot just watching.
    Lord, I am a happy girl!
    Lucky you. *jealous*

so, some people have been telling me that lemon trees take a LONG time to give me lemons. WHAT???? i want some in a reasonable time. This does not make me happy.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Attacked the back yard today. Oy, what an ordeal.

Several years ago, I had my yard done by a couple of friends who didn't do a stellar job. I'm now having to re-do some of the stuff that didn't work and some stuff that got wrecked over the winter (my metal gazebo collapsed).

Anyway, last year my pond went bye-bye. Ponds are a pain in the ass unless you have all the time in the world to devote to them. It was two levels, a shallow well and a deep well. I decided to keep the deeper well; I'll clean it out and put in a small fountain, maybe some underwater lights. So today, I cut the pond liner in half, dumped about 50 pounds of small rocks out of the shallow end and formed the new deep pond. Liner fits great, I put the large rocks that had encircled the old pond around the new one. Need to level out the area that was the shallow end of the old pond with some fill dirt (started doing this today), and am planning a butterfly garden in there. My back is tired but I got lots of work done today. Happy girl.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Lucky you. *jealous*
    I know! This is me:
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Attacked the back yard today. Oy, what an ordeal.

Several years ago, I had my yard done by a couple of friends who didn't do a stellar job. I'm now having to re-do some of the stuff that didn't work and some stuff that got wrecked over the winter (my metal gazebo collapsed).

Anyway, last year my pond went bye-bye. Ponds are a pain in the ass unless you have all the time in the world to devote to them. It was two levels, a shallow well and a deep well. I decided to keep the deeper well; I'll clean it out and put in a small fountain, maybe some underwater lights. So today, I cut the pond liner in half, dumped about 50 pounds of small rocks out of the shallow end and formed the new deep pond. Liner fits great, I put the large rocks that had encircled the old pond around the new one. Need to level out the area that was the shallow end of the old pond with some fill dirt (started doing this today), and am planning a butterfly garden in there. My back is tired but I got lots of work done today. Happy girl.
    My sister in law got a heater to keep her pond from freezing so she could leave the fish in it and everything-all that did was create a buffet for the birds-they ate every fish.

Plus her frog was killed and eaten by a snake. They saw it slithering away with the huge bulge in it's body, and the frog was gone! SIL is not pleased.

I know! This is me:
    Still jealous. Was Luis hot at least?

I want a Luis or Carlos or Jorge or Juan to work in my mobile home yard.

My sister in law got a heater to keep her pond from freezing so she could leave the fish in it and everything-all that did was create a buffet for the birds-they ate every fish.

Plus her frog was killed and eaten by a snake. They saw it slithering away with the huge bulge in it's body, and the frog was gone! SIL is not pleased.

Still jealous. Was Luis hot at least?

I want a Luis or Carlos or Jorge or Juan to work in my mobile home yard.
    Alas, Luis was no beauty and brought his -umm- hefty wife.

How come you have to remove fish from a pond up there? Every year my koi would freeze solid for long periods, then thaw right out like nothing happened. I miss that pond! It was at my rent property and some jerky renter insisted we take it out. I doubt that it was 3' deep. Like he was in big danger!

How come you have to remove fish from a pond up there? Every year my koi would freeze solid for long periods, then thaw right out like nothing happened. I miss that pond! It was at my rent property and some jerky renter insisted we take it out. I doubt that it was 3' deep. Like he was in big danger!
    I used to have a pantload of fish in the pond, but I removed them last year to try and clean it (man it was SO grody!) and the damn things died. No more fish for me. I used to leave them in the pond during the winter with an oxygenator/bubbler in the bottom of the pond and most of them would make it through. Fish are too damn much work for me. I used to lose a LOT of them to birds and raccoons.

- Mark Twain

ok keep Luis up there..

and I do not know if she had to keep the pond from freezing or not. And I don't know what happened before, except this time the pond did not freeze(she heated it), and this time the fish were eaten by birds. Every one. eaten.

maybe she got more fish and felt it would be better to keep the pond from freezing for some reason..maybe the type of fish? I am not sure.

*koi are pretty much too big for birds to eat anyway, right?

ok keep Luis up there..

and I do not know if she had to keep the pond from freezing or not. And I don't know what happened before, except this time the pond did not freeze(she heated it), and this time the fish were eaten by birds. Every one. eaten.

maybe she got more fish and felt it would be better to keep the pond from freezing for some reason..maybe the type of fish? I am not sure.

Right. These were big gorgeous fishies. Once a stray cat fell in and had to be recused. Occasionally one of the smaller fish would accidently flop up on the ground and get eaten. I think by kitties. Birds did not seem to be drawn to it at all.

I used to catch the raccoons practically waiting in line by the pond to eat at my "seafood buffet".

- Mark Twain

I think a Great Blue Heron could eat koi. My mom used to have one that would come fishing in her pond (but she had smaller fish).
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Koi start out small.

- Mark Twain

Has anyone ever constructed their own upside-down tomato planters? I got 4 San Marsano plum tomato plants this past weekend and need to free up space on my fire escape. Ideas?

I also got four basil plants...I sense many pizza and sauce making parties in my future.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by frecklered View Post
    Has anyone ever constructed their own upside-down tomato planters? I got 4 San Marsano plum tomato plants this past weekend and need to free up space on my fire escape. Ideas?

I also got four basil plants...I sense many pizza and sauce making parties in my future.
    No, but go for it. I would check out some of those that they sell, and go with that. I would just be careful about watering and the hanging containers overheating-like any container plant.

I imagine you could do pretty well. Also consider just regular hanging containers-they would have to be fairly large so you could deal with them, but you can use a lightweight potting mix. the tomato plants will just hang down on their own pretty much and sprawl if you let them. You can even make a chain of hanging containers.

Good luck..let us know what you do/how it turns out.

I might try hanging tomatoes myself...

Thread Information