Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Default Re: The Plants/Gardening Thread!

Zorbeet, do you prune them? I understand that they will have bigger blooms if they're pruned. Not cutting back each branch, but cutting away a few of the canes completely so that the energy is focused on the remaining branches. Some people thin away a third of the branches/canes yearly. Just don't prune too close to cold weather, or the new growth will be damaged. Keep in mind that you can have fewer, bigger flowers or more, smaller ones. Like you, I like the big blooms.

Your really young plants will probably bloom better when they're a little older. Yes, fertilize, but not too late in the summer, or you'll have a growth spurt that could be damaged by frost.

ETA: Quick Draw Sojita beat me to it about the pruning!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I planted tulips and they died(or I killed them) 2 days later. Stupid flowers!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood". --Oscar Wilde

Were they already bloomed when you planted them? I've never known anyone to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    ETA: Quick Draw Sojita beat me to it about the pruning!

Does anybody have any effective ways of keeping squirrels out of fruit trees? Also does anyone have any experience with Trifoliate Orange?..I cannot get mine to bloom.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Gold Member

I looked in my plant book for hydrangea food and they recommended an application of aluminum sulfate to produce blue flowers or an acidic food. Sometimes plants don't get buds because they aren't receiving enough sunshine. If you live in a cooler climate your hydrangea may need more sun. I have a 10ft bigleaf hydrangea, it's in the shade with filtered sun. I live in SoCal so if it had direct sun on it, it would burn.

BTW Aurora, your tulips aren't dead, they'll pay you a visit next spring.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Iron really works. Back in England my grandmother used to literally drive nails into the ground around her hydrangeas every year and they bloomed like mad. Don't go crazy pruning them unless you like that look. They take a while to grow back, at least in Vancouver. They are everywhere here because they thrive in a somewhat shady climate.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    I planted tulips and they died(or I killed them) 2 days later. Stupid flowers!
    You're aware that the best way to plant tulips is to plant the bulbs back in the fall when you're getting the flower bed ready for winter? If you plant the bloomed ones they'll only last a day or two as a bloom but next spring they'll come back again. Remember fall planting for spring tulips and lilys.

My tulips are nearly finished. Now I'm waiting for my lilies and irises.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Iron really works. Back in England my grandmother used to literally drive nails into the ground around her hydrangeas every year and they bloomed like mad. Don't go crazy pruning them unless you like that look. They take a while to grow back, at least in Vancouver. They are everywhere here because they thrive in a somewhat shady climate.
    I'll try Iron on my hydrangea. Normally I'm scared to touch it, it's REALLY old. The first year I bought my house I hacked them and I thought I killed it. Now I treat it like a frail senior. It's pretty, it has both blue and pink flowers on it.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Were they already bloomed when you planted them? I've never known anyone to do that.
    Yeah, they were in a pot that said I could just transtplant them into the ground.

You're aware that the best way to plant tulips is to plant the bulbs back in the fall when you're getting the flower bed ready for winter? If you plant the bloomed ones they'll only last a day or two as a bloom but next spring they'll come back again. Remember fall planting for spring tulips and lilys.
    No, I had no idea when to plant them. I guess I'll have to try again next year, hopefully they'll survive. Thanks Gator.
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood". --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Well, I'll be. Nails. What a great, simple idea. I'm going to try it.

You're right about the climate aspect. I think my advice tends to be biased toward a warmer climate. I hereby make a disclaimer that I know diddly squat about growing anything up north.

Hydrangeas are so funny about sun. Everything depends on the temperature. As a rule, the more sun the better, as long as the heat is not too much. Down here, we have to keep our hydrangeas on the north side of the house, or somewhere in dappled/filtered light, or they just wilt in the most pitiful way.

I have a bunch of PeeGee hydrangeas, and they're supposed to take sun, full sun even, but it's just too hot here. I've had to move several into the shade, and they've thrived.

Aurora, people in really cold climates often dig up their tulip bulbs (& other bulbs) for the winter so they're not killed off. Here, it's kind of hit & miss. They seem to bloom no matter what the first spring, but left in the ground there's a 50/50 chance that they'll bloom again the next spring. I never dig any up, it's too much trouble. I just plant more. I don't know if all tulips do this, but some tulips make baby tulips. The tulip patch just grows & grows.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
    [/URL[/URL

My favorite Plant. Contorted Hardy Japanese Orange. (Poncirus Trifoliata "Flying Dragon") I have the dwarf contorted form(not pics of my plant posted). It is about 5 feet high and has green twisted stems and twisted sharp thorns that remain green all winter even though the plant does lose its leaves over the winter. I am kind of evil as I planted mine right next to my front walk. In the winter the sharp thorns are very visible, but in summer time they are not so easily seen and the soft green foliage is inviting for someone(who has not been warned beforehand) to reach over and 'stroke' or 'pet' . I have it far enough off the walk that you have to actually reach out to get stuck by it. It has drawn blood from a few unlucky souls who reached out for it and had not been warned(intentionally not warned of course!)..

***the regular taller form is used as landscaping deterrant around nuclear power plants..and is know as "the Rambo Bush" or "the bush from hell"***
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My dad has 2 veggie gardens and has just planted a whole bunch of stuff, eggplants, cucumbers, tomatos, squash and green peppers. Oh and he has this pear tree (Le Lectier pears) but I think he needs to get both male and female trees to get the actual fruit.
    Will post some pics when I upload them on to the comp

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Here is my beloved forest pansy redbud. When the tree goes dormant, I will trim off the lower branches. The one is actually touching the ground, because the tree is on a slope. Notice in the close up of the leaves, that they are a beautiful purple color. Over the summer, they'll turn green.

Also, check out this crazy looking moth that was on my screen. Later that day, it just dropped dead. I picked it up & put it in a flower pot, where it remains.

Pretty plants, trees and moth. We've had torrential rain here the past few days so my plants and veggies are looking very bedraggled and waterlogged at the moment. It's freakin' cold, too. Last week we had a couple of hot days. Seems like forever ago.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information