Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

i have a question. I've never planted anything in my life (well, except a pot plant once). I got a bug up my ass, and decided to plant wildflowers in this small area that we have. They have grown like crazy, well, everything but the actual flowers.

its been about 6 weeks, and I was just wondering when the flowers should come up.

anyone??
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i have a question. I've never planted anything in my life (well, except a pot plant once). I got a bug up my ass, and decided to plant wildflowers in this small area that we have. They have grown like crazy, well, everything but the actual flowers.

its been about 6 weeks, and I was just wondering when the flowers should come up.

anyone??
    There are so many questions..

where are you located? If you are planting in the summer, then perennial wildflowers will probably just start with small plants-getting established and all..and will not do much right now.

Did you plant seeds? There could be annuals mixed in if you used a mix-they could be growing too..and there could be grasses/etc mixed in. It depends on what you planted, if you used a mix, what the mix contained, etc.

Generally with perennials(including wildflowers) the first season of planting they do not do much. The next season, they grow, but are mainly getting roots established. The year after that(two years after planting) they explode!

I would have to have more info on where you are and what you planted.

All of the perennial plants I planted as filler this summer have just held their own...If they survive the winter, they should come up bigger next year-and after that they are generally well established.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

related to an earlier post-they used to have a huge pumpkin patch just down the road, but they let the field just go..and now it is turning into a woodland. I know they grow good around here..

Circleville pumpkin show is not too far from here. They have some that weigh hundreds and hundreds of pounds. Huge things.

I am still buying up plants on sale around here. Nice stuff that is only a couple dollars and very hardy: I can just pot it up bigger, stick it behind my place and mulch them, and then use them to fill in if anything dies over the winter, or whatever.

More container plants! *I am addicted*

we're in the mountains of San Diego county. its been about 6 weeks, and no blooms, but a shit load of plants. tons! we get snow here, generally starts in late november, ending in feb/march.

Should we water every day like we have been. the directions said keep the soil moist, which we've done, but when do we just let them go.

oh yeah it was a packet of wildflower seeds from Home Depot. nothing special.
    oh and here's a pic of my little teeny wildflower garden.
    Last edited by msdeb; September 9th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

we're in the mountains of San Diego county. its been about 6 weeks, and no blooms, but a shit load of plants. tons! we get snow here, generally starts in late november, ending in feb/march.

Should we water every day like we have been. the directions said keep the soil moist, which we've done, but when do we just let them go.

oh yeah it was a packet of wildflower seeds from Home Depot. nothing special.
    oh and here's a pic of my little teeny wildflower garden.
    Well they should do ok, if the mix was meant for your area. This will be their first year, so they will just be getting established, and may go dormant with your winter coming on and all(seeing you get snow I guess it really is a winter). Next season they should come up and then you will get flowers and all-right now they are just getting started.

Also, are the seeds for annuals, perrenials, or a mix of both?

If the seed packet contained the names of the plants, you could look them up, to help identify them when they flower and such.

Right now, I would keep them regularly watered(but not overwaterered) while they are actively growing, and just treat them as a 'green patch'.

With perennial wildflower gardens it is often hard to tell when weeds get in though-they can look just like wildflower plants. In fact, depending on where you are and what you want, many wildflowers are considered weeds.

I would check the seed packet (if you still have it) for any info. And then google is your friend.

Good luck-they look healthy and green and growing, whatever they are!

*mountains outside San Diego-sounds like a great place to live-you even get kind of a real winter! and not so bad with the earthquakes!

jealous here.

we feel the earthquakes. the 7.0 Easter Quake shook us big time. we feel all of the aftershocks. we're about 60 miles or so from the epicenter. but, yeah we get winter, which i love!!

I have to go back to Home Depot and look at the package and get back to ya. Also, yesterday some of them got frostbite-ish because it was 30 degrees overnight.

Soj, thank you for your answers.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Fricking damn drought...I am tired of watering everything and it just getting sucked up by the silver maples.

Rain already dammit!

I think I see some Cosmos in there (the ferny-looking things).

If those are cosmos, the tall purple ones bloom late. Still, think early spring might do a bit better. One has a marigold-ish leaf,too. They look really healthy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

thanks all! It gives me some hope knowing i can look forward to flowers. i had kind of given up hope!
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

thanks all! It gives me some hope knowing i can look forward to flowers. i had kind of given up hope!
    Next spring, plant the "Bright lights" cosmos. Jst barely cover seeds. Thos are vivid yellow, orange & red. The package says "thrives on neglect". The more bouquets you cut, the more they bloom. I have had people touch them ,saying "Are those real??".
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I have had people touch them ,saying "Are those real??".
    Man, I have that problem all the time. Oh, wait, you were talking about the flowers, weren't you.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Bought two more variegated red twig dogwood shrubs. About four feet high and only seven bucks a piece. They are so tough they can survive easily overwinter in large containers(the roots are extraordinarily hardy), plus the green and white leaves are pleasant, they can tolerate some shade, and the red twigs in winter look great against white paint.

Very pretty and tough shrubs. Only drawback is they do need adequate water and are not drought tolerant-only real drawback IMO. And I tend to actually overwater container plants, so not a big deal there.

If they get too big you just cut them back to the base. Pruning stimulates growth and the newest twigs/branches have the best winter color anyway.

Very nice and tough, adaptable shrub that I recommend. Interesting throughout most of the year.

*Cornus Alba 'Elegantissima'*

Well, luckily we got our potatoes all dug up this week because we just got a foot of snow!

I managed to drag a bunch of my containers (which were still flowering) into the house after the first 6 inches so I think they may survive for a little while.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

i got a flower! not a good pic (cellphone), but its my first one. anyone know what it is?
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^ Looks like cosmos, maybe. They have that frilly foliage. I had some beautiful ones up until yesterday.

Thread Information