Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Well, I've eaten figs off my tree and I picked one of the canteloupes. Figs are nummy but I think I picked the canteloupe too early. Oh well, I have like a hundred more to get it right.... I also have a bunch of tomatoes....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I've been planting pretty things at the new house, but didn't get around to doing a vegetable garden this year. I'm thinking I'll just dig the area up and start building soil for next year?

Do you folks know much about cover crops, or "green manures" or whatever? Like planting clover and stuff and then plowing it under at the end of the season to enrich the soil... but I don't know exactly what that means, what the procedure is (like what point do you allow the crop to reach before plowing it under?), or what crops to use in my climate (smack dab where Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron meet). I'm working on some compost of course... but any soil-building advice would be most appreciated!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for stickying this, Tati! I always forget about it, too (at least until someone posts something and it pops up in my subscribed threads list).

I know nothing about cover crops, though - sorry.

My Tumbler Tomato in the greenhouse is going craaaazy, and so are my cucumbers and celery and tomatillos. If this keeps up, the amount I'll get in produce will pay for the greenhouse by the end of the summer, with the way produce prices are up here. I may have to get into canning or pickling or something.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I've been planting pretty things at the new house, but didn't get around to doing a vegetable garden this year. I'm thinking I'll just dig the area up and start building soil for next year?

Do you folks know much about cover crops, or "green manures" or whatever? Like planting clover and stuff and then plowing it under at the end of the season to enrich the soil... but I don't know exactly what that means, what the procedure is (like what point do you allow the crop to reach before plowing it under?), or what crops to use in my climate (smack dab where Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron meet). I'm working on some compost of course... but any soil-building advice would be most appreciated!
    I would look online. Your area must have some governmental agency at the local level dealing with agriculture, and they could probably give you some good advice-or a local university with an agricultural program.

They do this alot around here..using green manures is becoming more common, and also crop rotation. I think they use clover alot here as a green manure. The best cover crops are the nitrogen fixers, they actually fix nitrogen in the soil and fertilizer the soil this way, even while growing. And then tilling them in is an extra benefit.

I would definitely get a cover crop that is a nitrogen fixer for your soil.

Four Nitrogen Fixing Cover Crops: How to Enrich Garden Soil with Green Manure

I think all of these are good for cold winter areas...

Awesome, thanks Soj!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Mowed the lawn, did some weeding, watered, planted, trimmed, and cleaned both of my patios today(four big bags of junk). So glad I got this done today, as tomorrow it is back to the humidity and nineties.

ate the very last blueberry left on my two bushes.

Well my nice Invicta Gooseberry I planted last year, and that grew and flowered and fruited so well, just produced about two cups of nice medium sized reddish gooseberries.

Of course Invicta gooseberries are large and green, so it is not an Invicta gooseberry after all. I was waiting for them to get larger, but they just turned color, and then I knew I had been screwed over.

Fucking mail order company! I wanted the Invicta because it has the largest fruit of all and is green(so animals/birds etc. do not think it is 'ripened' and leave it alone) and is the best overall.

I am going to complain. But the one I have has grown so nicely I am going to just keep it and all. I will just bitch at them, and order another one, and tell them to please get it right this time.

I hate getting rid of something that, while it is not what I wanted, has done so well really. I will just force myself to like it and appreciate it. Whatever it is, it bloomed and flowered better than anything else I have.

Still, I hate that they fucked up and gave me the wrong plant.

*after looking at this post I realized that I have a problem with comma overusage.

Elite Member

We are fencing around the fruit orchard and across the top. You would think that 12 apple, 4 peach, 4 pear and 3 cherry trees would produce enough for the critters and us, but not one single fruit was left for us the last 2 seasons. This is on top of the deer fence around the perimeter. This is birds/squirrels/racoons.

Zee

We have 7 cherry trees and managed to get 2 cherries that the birds missed.

Still trying to get blue hydrangeas- have huge white puffballs, lacetop. Thought I bought 3 blue- first buds are looking white. Blast it.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    We are fencing around the fruit orchard and across the top. You would think that 12 apple, 4 peach, 4 pear and 3 cherry trees would produce enough for the critters and us, but not one single fruit was left for us the last 2 seasons. This is on top of the deer fence around the perimeter. This is birds/squirrels/racoons.
    That would piss me off to no end. What do you have to do, construct giant cages over the trees. Greedy animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

Still trying to get blue hydrangeas- have huge white puffballs, lacetop. Thought I bought 3 blue- first buds are looking white. Blast it.
    I had a dwarf sweet cherry(Lapins, self pollinating so only needed one) and a dwarf sour cherry(Northstar-highly recommend it) and the only way to get cherries was to net the trees. Which is why I recommend dwarfs.

I have actually seen cherry trees trained out horizontally like long fences..with supports holding the main branches up as they get farther from the main trunk..about six feet high and 60 or so feet long. Easy to net that way.

*after netting the sour cherry tree, a Robin which had started feeding on the cherries flew right into the netting, got tangled up, and then fell with a plop onto the patio. My partner and I laughed at it while it squawked with outrage. Then the damn thing flew right at us and tried to attack us. We had to run into the house.

Zee

I may have to rethink my plans- was going to espalier a peach tree by our pool. Never thought about doing a cherry tree in terms of easier to net. THanks
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I may have to rethink my plans- was going to espalier a peach tree by our pool. Never thought about doing a cherry tree in terms of easier to net. THanks
    You can get trees on Gisela 5( I think that is it) rootstocks that also will dwarf trees to maybe 12 feet, making them easier to train, and you can plant more in the same space. Also you can get self-fertile varietes. Stella, Lapins, Black Gold, White Gold(yellow sweet cherry), Tehranivi, Sweetheart, Vandalay, etc. are all self fertile and available on regular, semi dwarfing, and dwarfing rootstock.

Self fertile cherries will produce without another sweet cherry, and will be prolific producers with other sweet cherries around.

Depending on where you are located, you could even grow the Gisela 5 rootstocks in very large containers, like wine barrels. (yeah I had to get my fetish for wine barrels into the post!)

*there are also the pie cherries, Meteor and Northstar being good dwarfs, Montmorency being the classic pie cherry. And there are cherries that are in between, kind of a cross between sour and sweet cherries. I think Danube is one of them, there are several out now.

Don't hydrangea flowers respond to the ph levels in the soil? I think you need an acidic soil to get blue ones (or is it the other way around?) I like hydrangeas too, lovely blousey blooms
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Don't hydrangea flowers respond to the ph levels in the soil? I think you need an acidic soil to get blue ones (or is it the other way around?) I like hydrangeas too, lovely blousey blooms
    You do. I save all of my coffee frounds as an added extra to mine.

My 3 hibuscus bushes-the ones that come back every year have outdone themselves this summer-today, 27 huge dinnerplate blooms in scarlet! Such a show!
    On the downer side, the stupid yard man weed-whacked my 2 giant calla lilies right down to the ground. It was a merciless slaughter. I hope they come back!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You do. I save all of my coffee frounds as an added extra to mine.

My 3 hibuscus bushes-the ones that come back every year have outdone themselves this summer-today, 27 huge dinnerplate blooms in scarlet! Such a show!
    On the downer side, the stupid yard man weed-whacked my 2 giant calla lilies right down to the ground. It was a merciless slaughter. I hope they come back!
    Damn! We share a gardener!!!!

I'd love to have hibiscus but we're just to cold & wet
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information