Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Lol. I was going to plant mint one year, but I googled information about it and got scared off. I am afraid even to try it in pots, after one person said the roots on her potted plant went through the drainage holes, tunnelled under the patio and came up the other side! My in-laws brought a mint plant to our house and put it in a jar full of water, and even without soil and nutrients, the plant grew and the roots multiplied at an appalling rate. Oh yeah, I fear the mint.
    I love some of the mint horror stories! The thing is, most of them are TRUE!

The mint I used was just one of those little four inch pots from the grocery store, you know the kind? I was using it as a houseplant and decided to try it in a few of the potted shrubs when it got warm. Just put a few sprigs with a few tiny root hairs in each potted plant.

by autumn some of those roots were an inch and a half thick. I have never seen anything grow so quickly and get so big and sprawling so fast.

I was so glad it died over the winter. I would never have been able to get rid of it from those potted shrubs.

I have heard many horror stories about it, but then again, every now and then someone does seem to be able to grow it with it just spreading a bit and not being too invasive. I have no idea of why it sometimes just behaves differently like that. Same varieties and all..and sometimes it is just fine.

I would not chance it in the ground though around here.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I love some of the mint horror stories! The thing is, most of them are TRUE!

The mint I used was just one of those little four inch pots from the grocery store, you know the kind? I was using it as a houseplant and decided to try it in a few of the potted shrubs when it got warm. Just put a few sprigs with a few tiny root hairs in each potted plant.

by autumn some of those roots were an inch and a half thick. I have never seen anything grow so quickly and get so big and sprawling so fast.

I was so glad it died over the winter. I would never have been able to get rid of it from those potted shrubs.

I have heard many horror stories about it, but then again, every now and then someone does seem to be able to grow it with it just spreading a bit and not being too invasive. I have no idea of why it sometimes just behaves differently like that. Same varieties and all..and sometimes it is just fine.

I would not chance it in the ground though around here.
    It's not worth the risk, man. I can live without the tea.

I enjoy the horror stories, too. It makes mint seem like a thinking being that plots for garden domination. One day we'll stop hearing from McJag because it has swallowed her house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    It's not worth the risk, man. I can live without the tea.

I enjoy the horror stories, too. It makes mint seem like a thinking being that plots for garden domination. One day we'll stop hearing from McJag because it has swallowed her house.
    Naw-I have had it before and lived! The only trick is to keep it contained. You can do a space in 1 flowerbed, contain it with metal edging & it will behave. Just whack off the tops every now & then and pull out some close to the edges. Very refreshing.
    I am fearless with invasive plants. I have the ever-so-expensive black cane bamboo in my back yard. LOVE it! Tall and beautful. I paid the landscaper to stop it from spreading, but if any new roots come up in the spring, you just kick them over.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Naw-I have had it before and lived! The only trick is to keep it contained. You can do a space in 1 flowerbed, contain it with metal edging & it will behave. Just whack off the tops every now & then and pull out some close to the edges. Very refreshing.
    I am fearless with invasive plants. I have the ever-so-expensive black cane bamboo in my back yard. LOVE it! Tall and beautful. I paid the landscaper to stop it from spreading, but if any new roots come up in the spring, you just kick them over.
    You just wait, one day one of these plants is going to get the upper hand on you....and then we will have the 'McJag invasive plant horror story" to add to the list of plant horror stories.

Although I have some bishop's weed(usually considered very invasive) that I can hardly get to grow at all, even with lots of watering and tending.

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    The cantaloupe sound like pure evil. Evil cantaloupe! Actually, I'm trying cucumbers in my greenhouse this year and everytime I go out, there's another little tentacle wrapping around the stakes. It's freaking me out. It's like Day of the Triffids in there.

That's a great idea! I never know what to do with mint.
    The cantaloupe reminds me of that damned movie "The Ruins" everytime I have to pluck it's nasty little vines off my tomatoes and off my siding. I think if I laid out there, it'd grow over me and wraps it's nasty little vines around my neck and choke the life out of me.

As for mint, you can also use it in tea. A friend of mine has some that she keeps in one area right in front of her house and it's delish in tea!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    As for mint, you can also use it in tea. A friend of mine has some that she keeps in one area right in front of her house and it's delish in tea!
    Or, fill a pitcher (pretty goes without saying) with water and a few crushed mint leaves and sip on that all day. O calories-fabulous taste!

Aso, add a bit chopped if you like to make couscous. Here is a good recipe from About.com. This is good, and lovely to have for vegetarian guests:

Couscous with Lemon, Mint and Garbanzo Beans. Created for BUSH’S ® Beans by Connie Guttersen, R.D., Ph.D., nutrition instructor at The Culinary Institute of America, mom and author of "The Sonoma Diet."
    Ingredients:
    • 1 10 ounce box couscous
    • 1/2 cup raisins
    • 2 cups water
    • 2 lemons, juiced and zested
    • 3 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 16 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
    • 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
    • 2 cups chopped cucumbers
    • 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
    • salt and pepper, to taste
    Preparation:

Prepare couscous per directions on the box.
    Place couscous and raisins in a large bowl, set aside.
    Combine water, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small pot. Bring to simmer, pour over couscous mixture and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, let sit for 15 minutes.
    Remove plastic wrap, gently fluff with fork. Set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine beans, red pepper, cucumber, and tomatoes. Pour in lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 minutes. Combine fluffed couscous, garbanzo bean mixture, parsley and mint in a large serving platter. Gently toss to combine. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Maybe mint is behaved in the South because it is afraid that Southern women gardeners will kick it's ass if it gets out of line?

I swear that stuff is terrible up North here.

It's not uncommon to see a southern woman shoot a stray sprig of mint!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

It's not uncommon to see a southern woman shoot a stray sprig of mint!
    Y'all probably beat the poor mint with bags of frozen marbles and frozen wet towels.

The cantaloupe reminds me of that damned movie "The Ruins" everytime I have to pluck it's nasty little vines off my tomatoes and off my siding. I think if I laid out there, it'd grow over me and wraps it's nasty little vines around my neck and choke the life out of me.

The Ruins! Thank you - I knew there was something other than Triffids that this was reminding me of and that's it. Man, that was a freaky book.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Or, fill a pitcher (pretty goes without saying) with water and a few crushed mint leaves and sip on that all day. O calories-fabulous taste!

Aso, add a bit chopped if you like to make couscous. Here is a good recipe from About.com. This is good, and lovely to have for vegetarian guests:
    Excellent - I'm going to try both of these ideas. I love the idea of mint in water. That had never occurred to me.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

So anyone have any crape myrtles? I had to leave my larger ones when I moved. I have one here now and one at my dad's. The one here winterkills to the ground every year, comes back as a very small shrub, and does not bloom much it at all. The one at my dad's place is in town(metro area) warmer locale, only has partial winter kill, comes back as a larger and larger shrub, and does bloom nicely. Central Ohio here. I wish they had one that was just a bit hardier than the hardiest(Hopi cultivar). That is what I have here.

Anyone growing blueberries? I planted two in (what else) a half whiskey barrel last year with mostly peat, and they flowered and a small batch of fruit is ripening. They were on sale for 2 bucks a piece so I thought, why not?

My hardy Kiwi vine(Actinidia Arguta 'Issai" is growing better this year, but very small fruit set. At least it has not died yet.

Columnar Apple and pear tree growing very nicely, no disease problems, attractive..and not one damn fruit between them. Fuckers.

The colummar apple tree I planted at my father's house is now eighteen feet tall, and only about four feet wide, with reddish leaves and large golfball sized edible red crabapples. This tree would look fantastic in a row like in lining a drive.

The liberty apple I planted there over ten years ago is thriving and full of fruit-long after the one I planted at the same time at the old homestead died of blight.

I would like to add another fruiting small tree, but it must be hardy and take shade-no more sunny areas, or even partial sun areas, to plant. I cannot find anything to fit the bill.

With all the rain, my strawberries are forming a great groundcover.

I still hate loathe and detest the shit silver maples that surround this place and suck up the water and nutrients, stunting everything else. Damn their evil souls!

Ground nuts seem to have survived the winter. I need to fertilize the hell out of them to get them going better.

Invicta Gooseberries getting bigger every day...

Service berries/dwarf Saskatoons not doing much..I hope they are just 'rooting in' and all.

I am afraid that I may have to start killing some plants that are doing well, just to get the space to plant something I really really like and want more. Sucks.

Is anyone else stupid enough to be out and digging and planting in 96 degree heat?

I am so tired I almost could not care if the stuff I just planted dies.

I hate it when my container mixes do not work. Two half wine barrels, each with the same number of holes, each with the same type of mix. The first one (which I did a few weeks ago) was fine, this one is a muddy mess that will not drain. Tried amending it and stirring this mudmess until I nearly passed out from the damn heat. Fuck it.

I will wait until it is cooler to mess with it.

And the damn plants I bought on sale are now showing signs of heat and drought stress-no wonder they were on sale-they were fucking damaged and they knew it. Fucking fuckers Strader's Garden Center!!!!

* I had it all planned out..it would have gone fine if that fucking barrel had not clogged up. Christ it is always something! Where is the pissed off and exhausted emoticon?
    Last edited by Sojiita; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i have 5 plants on my balcony, all meant for the sun and all are watered quite regularly and they're all not doing too great I think its from the rotten l.a. air or wtf!?

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i have 5 plants on my balcony, all meant for the sun and all are watered quite regularly and they're all not doing too great I think its from the rotten l.a. air or wtf!?
    They probably get alot of celebutard stench. Vile stuff..do not have that here.

Maybe they are not doing so great because they are in mourning given PedoJack's death date is coming up Friday!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i even put vitamins in them! i'll take pics and post them when im hope

Thread Information