Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

[QUOTE=Sojiita;2145246]I bought a few new plants..without having the slightest idea of where to put them. I need to stop doing that. [/QUOTE

Ah yes, space is the bane of every gardener. That and time, I guess.

I have a carload of geraniums and other annuals to plant in containers, plus the remainder of my tomato, cuke and squash seedlings I started indoors that need to be transplanted outdoors this weekend. At least the weather has been lovely, it has been one of the nicest springs I can remember here in New England...

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby's girl View Post
    Is flowering cherry trees hard to plant or what? I planted one and its leaves look brown now. I did everything it said to do, so what gives?
    Wow! I guess that it needs to be cold & wet & windy nearly all year around because I've never known anyone kill a flowering cherry....

We have a lot of land (not garden yet!) and this year I've decided that my herb garden can't wait any longer. our neighbour cut down a (very large) rotten tree from the back of the house, and the amount of light we get now is amazing! I want to move a seat to the back of the house now too. Unfortunately I think that when the house is built, the drains will need to go through my garden but I can't leave it any longer. Progress pics will be posted on my twitter, for those of you who are interested &/or follow me.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    My strawberries have stopped flowering and fruiting(as they do after a few years) but they are spreading and forming such a nice groundcover (in some potted trees too) that I am fine with them.
    I have strawberries doing that, too. It seems to be a mixture of wild ones and ones that the people who lived here before planted. They're everywhere - good spots, poor spots, in a container I brought inside for the winter. I agree that it's a good thing to have spreading around so I'm not complaining. They're the first things in flower in my yard. Actually, the only things at the moment - Primulas and double-flowering almond are almost here, though.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Now we are having fields of Black-eyed Susans! Like they all burst out in unison-so pretty. With patches of Indian Paint Brush worked into the mosaic.
    You must have challenging growing conditions(heat, drought, etc.) but I bet you can grow a ton of things I cannot with a milder climate. Very jealous. Are you able to grow any hardy citrus in Texas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    I have strawberries doing that, too. It seems to be a mixture of wild ones and ones that the people who lived here before planted. They're everywhere - good spots, poor spots, in a container I brought inside for the winter. I agree that it's a good thing to have spreading around so I'm not complaining. They're the first things in flower in my yard. Actually, the only things at the moment - Primulas and double-flowering almond are almost here, though.
    Yeah, mine are growing in 'dead areas' that nothing else will seem to grow in, also in little nooks and crannies. They are surprising me and I like them just as a groundcover. Surprisingly hardy too..even in containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Wow! I guess that it needs to be cold & wet & windy nearly all year around because I've never known anyone kill a flowering cherry....

We have a lot of land (not garden yet!) and this year I've decided that my herb garden can't wait any longer. our neighbour cut down a (very large) rotten tree from the back of the house, and the amount of light we get now is amazing! I want to move a seat to the back of the house now too. Unfortunately I think that when the house is built, the drains will need to go through my garden but I can't leave it any longer. Progress pics will be posted on my twitter, for those of you who are interested &/or follow me.
    Oh I am so jealous. I would LOVE to lose one of the shit maples surrounding me. The one at front is notoriously dangerous Silver Maple, half dead, weak branch angles, etc. I offered the park to take it down at my own cost and expense, with a licensed, insured, and bonded company and the owner fucking refused. I hope now it falls on somebody and they sue the shit out of the owner.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Lol! It was a sycamore tree, everything about it is sticky!
    The place nextdoor is empty & the tree was rotton, it would've cost him sooooo much more if it had fallen on our house, so I guess it was all a question of eccomomics. It was very rotton inside, mind.....
    Free Charmed.

Finally...finally...my Sweet Bay Magnolia Tree which has struggle since transplanting in 2007 has a flower! One single lucious white perfumed beauty!

You must have challenging growing conditions(heat, drought, etc.) but I bet you can grow a ton of things I cannot with a milder climate. Very jealous. Are you able to grow any hardy citrus in Texas?

No citrus around here-way south Texas,though.
    Finally...finally...my Sweet Bay Magnolia Tree which has struggle since transplanting in 2007 has a flower! One single lucious white perfumed beauty!
    I hate to tell you this, but I gotta. My little magnolia tree has 22 blooms! I counted-and I can't see the back side of the tree. There must be more. This is an almost 3 year old tree and it's first grand blooming!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No citrus around here-way south Texas,though.

I hate to tell you this, but I gotta. My little magnolia tree has 22 blooms! I counted-and I can't see the back side of the tree. There must be more. This is an almost 3 year old tree and it's first grand blooming!
    Is it a Sweet Bay Magnolia? They generally do not do well here and Magnolias do not like transplanting. I had to dig it up in June in the middle of a drought in 95 degree heat to bring it here.

That it lived at all is a miracle-and it is not in a good space for it now.

Star and some Saucer Magnolias will bloom when very small.

My magnolia has chlorosis though so I need to acidify it.

And I am talking about hardy citrus like Citranges, etc. that can take even 5 degree weather for short periods.

Well, all the stuff I planted this year has really taken off. my wisteria is about 3 times the size it was when I planted it. My little fig tree has about 3 figs on it. The blossoming pear tree is just getting bigger all the time. Have some tomatoes on the vines and some cantaloupe getting ready to form. The fucking basil tried to take over the whole flower bed, snatched it up and sent it away.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I am *so* not a gardener, but I got a little basil plant and planted it in a little terracotta pot (I don't have my own yardspace, so it's all containers for me.) Tag said it needed full sun so I put it on my front porch landing, where it will get direct sun midday till sunset. I know it's just an herb but I have the antithesis of a greenthumb, I either kill things through neglect or overwatering (and just plain not knowing what I'm doing), so we'll see how this goes.

What I really want to plant is jalapeno peppers. I think they'd do well in the southern Cali climate.

then do the jalapenos. do something that'll make you happy and that you'll enjoy eating. Just buy yourself a nice deep pot for it so it has room. Read up on what to do. I got a green thumb from my mom and anything I touch, goes bananas. I didn't think that the basil would take off like it did.... and now, I'm considering killing off the cantaloupe as well because it likes to wrap it's little shoots around everything - it's trying to drag my tomatoes down and climb up my house... don't think I'll be doing those again.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I have had my first crop! The mint I was trying as ground cover (didn't work-don't try it) has taken off in a near by flower bed. I had to take a fruit tray to a birthday party & had these lovely sprigs of mint to use! It looked so pretty.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have had my first crop! The mint I was trying as ground cover (didn't work-don't try it) has taken off in a near by flower bed. I had to take a fruit tray to a birthday party & had these lovely sprigs of mint to use! It looked so pretty.
    Are you crazy woman!? Mint is some of the most invasive shit out there! I had planted some *just* in a few potted shrubs for groundcover effect-that shit took over and nearly killed the shrubs. Thank God it was not a very hardy variety, and it was winter killed. I was so glad it died.

Mint in Texas? -if it gets enough water it will completely consume your flower beds-kill it now while you still can!

How did it not work as a ground cover? If you know of ways of killing it, please share, because alot of people would like to know how to exterminate this pest plant.

It is advised here to only plant it in containers, or in the ground with a deep barrier surrounding it(one or even two feet deep) so it cannot spread wildly and invasively.

I have only planted it before in containers with nothing else in the container until last year. Never again will it go in with something else or in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    .... and now, I'm considering killing off the cantaloupe as well because it likes to wrap it's little shoots around everything - it's trying to drag my tomatoes down and climb up my house... don't think I'll be doing those again.
    The cantaloupe sound like pure evil. Evil cantaloupe! Actually, I'm trying cucumbers in my greenhouse this year and everytime I go out, there's another little tentacle wrapping around the stakes. It's freaking me out. It's like Day of the Triffids in there.

That's a great idea! I never know what to do with mint.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Are you crazy woman!? Mint is some of the most invasive shit out there! I had planted some *just* in a few potted shrubs for groundcover effect-that shit took over and nearly killed the shrubs. Thank God it was not a very hardy variety, and it was winter killed. I was so glad it died.

Mint in Texas? -if it gets enough water it will completely consume your flower beds-kill it now while you still can!

How did it not work as a ground cover? If you know of ways of killing it, please share, because alot of people would like to know how to exterminate this pest plant.

It is advised here to only plant it in containers, or in the ground with a deep barrier surrounding it(one or even two feet deep) so it cannot spread wildly and invasively.

I have only planted it before in containers with nothing else in the container until last year. Never again will it go in with something else or in the ground.
    Lol. I was going to plant mint one year, but I googled information about it and got scared off. I am afraid even to try it in pots, after one person said the roots on her potted plant went through the drainage holes, tunnelled under the patio and came up the other side! My in-laws brought a mint plant to our house and put it in a jar full of water, and even without soil and nutrients, the plant grew and the roots multiplied at an appalling rate. Oh yeah, I fear the mint.

Thread Information