Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Mel, I got mine at Lowes. They had tons of them. Do you have a Lowes around you? This tree is totally thriving and looks great. But omg, that tulip poplar that you posted is sooo pretty.

Sojita, I'm scared of morning glories. I read that they grow fast and take over, so I planted some in some window boxes. I remember dropping like 3 or 4 seeds accidentally to the ground behind my deck. Within a couple of weeks I had vines that had grown up 3 or 4 feet. Awww, how cute, I thought. Within 6 weeks they had taken over the deck. I cut and cut and cut, and they were relentless. Never again.

Like I said, I want hydrangeas, but only if they're deeply blue. I may as well want to win the lottery. I don't like pink ones, I don't like light blue ones, and despise the ones that have pink & blue swirling together in one flower. Takes a lot of acid in the soil, I guess.
    I forgot how far south you are-they are not that bad up here, but down there they I bet they can be almost like kudzu or something.

Another vine that is (bluish at least) is Passionflower "Incense"- beautiful flowers, fruit, hardy. But it can come up like crazy from the ground and would have to be confined. A big container would do where you are-I bet it would overwinter well in one. And the smell! heavenly. I was able to overwinter them fine in Ohio with a heavy mulch.

I saw a beautiful blue clematis on sale a few days ago..just such a clear sky blue. Not sure how well they do down south though.

Are there any blue hardy verbena groundcovers for down there? Blue is such a hard to get color anyway, and to find something that could take the harsh heat and conditions of the summer in the south....

* My Invicta Gooseberry has set so much fruit that I had to prop it up with six bamboo poles. And this is the largest fruited one there is. I hope the dumb thing does not break or something.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus!

strawberries yeah I'll give ya strawberries..... hours of back breaking picking and half of them the animals, birds, bugs have eaten so I have to throw them away. AND when thats over the freaking blueberries will be ready. If anyone wants to know why I grow strawberries if I had all the work that goes along with it - truth is I had no freaking idea it would be so hard or they would mulitply so fast. I've got strawberries coming out my a$$

ah hem.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Is flowering cherry trees hard to plant or what? I planted one and its leaves look brown now. I did everything it said to do, so what gives?

^^^Did you water it a ton when you planted it? I think you need to really soak them...like soak the hole you're putting it in, then once the tree's in give it another 30+ gallons.

I haven't planted any yet, though. I'm just going from what I remember someone at the garden centre saying last year. I still haven't found a good location for one in my yard since it'll need to be in full sun and be super hardy.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby's girl View Post
    Is flowering cherry trees hard to plant or what? I planted one and its leaves look brown now. I did everything it said to do, so what gives?
    Most of them have warranties where you can return the plant if it dies within a certain time, six months or a year maybe?

Could be alot of things. Depending on where you live..

A way to see if a tree is really dead is to scrape a small branch/branches..removing just the outer skin..if it is still green underneath, then the plant is still alive.

Did you have a cold snap? That can burn leaves...lack of water, etc.

Maybe we could give you some more ideas if we had more info about the conditions where you live?

Generally lack of sufficient watering is a big reason though.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have to dig the damn thing up, I guess, just my luck, but I will check out what you guys said first. Thanks!

I mentioned in the 1 million thread that I was gifted with two baby blackberry plants. I carefully prepared a spot for them in my back yard and transferred them to their new home [while pigeons and ravens and starlings appeared out of nowhere to watch - sorry birdies, no berries until next summer]. A couple of days passed and the plants were looking good, getting new leaves, and adjusting quite well, and then we got snow and frost. Aaargh!! Luckily, I knew it was coming, and I covered the babies in time. No damage done. I wish it would warm up. It is MAY, right?

My next planting project is rhubarb ... something else I won't get to enjoy until next year, but I'm not the best gardener and I need hardy stuff that can survive mostly on its own. I've noticed plants seem to do so much better when I stay far away from them.

I lost a yoshino cherry once to fireblight. Google that and look at the pictures & see if that's what your cherry looks like.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I want to try growing pumpkins this year. My expectations are very low, but it doesn't cost much to try and would be fun if we could get some. I love even just looking at pumpkins.

I love growing strawberries. We transplanted two plants we bought in the nursery two summers ago and by the next summer they had already spread to more than 40 plants, from which we got more than 10 pounds of delicious, high-quality berries. We have enough now, so we just clip the vines when they start spreading further. When the berries begin to redden, we cover the plants with garden fabric so the birds don't notice them, but sunlight still filters through. We use plastic forks to support the ends the berries grow on to keep them off the ground so the ants don't get them. In this way, we lose rather few. It's a fair bit of work, but well worth it to us.

I'm trying to resist buying another rhododendron this year, since our other two attempts at keeping them ended in tragedy. I think the first didn't get enough water and the second succumbed to a fungus. I bought special acidic soil and fertilizer for them and everything. I have no reason to believe another would fare any better, but every time I go to th garden center I wander over to them. They are so freaking beautiful in bloom. If only these things could thrive as easily as the damned dandelions.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I mentioned in the 1 million thread that I was gifted with two baby blackberry plants. I carefully prepared a spot for them in my back yard and transferred them to their new home [while pigeons and ravens and starlings appeared out of nowhere to watch - sorry birdies, no berries until next summer]. A couple of days passed and the plants were looking good, getting new leaves, and adjusting quite well, and then we got snow and frost. Aaargh!! Luckily, I knew it was coming, and I covered the babies in time. No damage done. I wish it would warm up. It is MAY, right?

My next planting project is rhubarb ... something else I won't get to enjoy until next year, but I'm not the best gardener and I need hardy stuff that can survive mostly on its own. I've noticed plants seem to do so much better when I stay far away from them.
    So, if I would have stayed away from my tree, it would have lived. Now ya tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I lost a yoshino cherry once to fireblight. Google that and look at the pictures & see if that's what your cherry looks like.
    Yeah, if it looks 'burned' then that could be it.

I once lost an Orange Quince tree to it, and a Liberty Apple Tree-which is supposed to be immune to it. I planted the same kind of tree at my parent's house..and it is thriving and produces tons of apples. I guess I just had bad luck.

yay, a gradening thread! i'm very excited, since we moved into a house with a yard last fall & i have a garden again, for the first time in years! love it! i've got to get some squash, greens, tomatoes & beans in still; oh, and i'd like to do a strawberry pot. but, i've got several things in so far & can't wait to enjoy them!

i've also got lots of ornamentals in bloom...roses, tulips, lilies, pansies, freesia, stock & lavender.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Zee

So far it's been a great year for lilacs, wisteria, flowering apple and daffodils. Crossing fingers for fruit trees. We had a frost and I think it zapped the peach, apricot and apple trees.

My red currant bush looks like it didn't winter well. Right now much of it looks dead with only a few berries growing.

I plant strawberries as ground cover. Don't care if the birds eat them and it spreads better than any traditional ground cover.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Nothing like stopping at Walmart on the way to work and loading up a heavy two cubic foot back of wet potting soil when the bag decides to burst open and cover me with muddy soil...I went to work looking like I had rolled in mud like a pig.

Currant bush nearly breaking from the weight of fruit.

My strawberries have stopped flowering and fruiting(as they do after a few years) but they are spreading and forming such a nice groundcover (in some potted trees too) that I am fine with them.

I am taking all of my indoor plants out tomorrow.

Planted three double knock out roses in a very small space..hope they do ok so crowded together.

Ready to set up and plant two of my new half wine barrels..will hold the other three back as spares.

I bought a few new plants..without having the slightest idea of where to put them. I need to stop doing that.

Now we are having fields of Black-eyed Susans! Like they all burst out in unison-so pretty. With patches of Indian Paint Brush worked into the mosaic.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information