Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Default Re: The Plants/Gardening Thread!

^^My small property is too hot and sunny for those(shit!) . But I love any plant that produces edible fruit. I have alot of container plants with fruiting bushes in them. Aronia Melanocarpa(black chokeberry).you can make a jam with it but needs LOTS of sugar. Will tolerate some shade as well. Prunus Besseyi(sand cherry)and Prunus Tomentosa(Nanking cherry)-both good for small cherry like fruits and extremely tough and hardy..will survive outside in containers through winter with no protection..same as the chokeberry. They make a good jam. Have very hardy dwarf blueberries in large container. they survive but are not doing the best. Must be that I can't get the soil acidity right.
    I also love Egyption Walking Onions...they are prolific, decorative, tasty and very hardy...they are like weeds...very tough to kill. Also have a self-fertile hardy Kiwi vine(Actinidia "Issai"). It is about 8 feet high right now and loaded with blossoms ready to come out. The fruit is grape size but smooth skinned and just like the other kiwi..except sweeter. Only got a few last year because of my nemesis, the Squirrels(winged rat bastards they are!)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Gator, I do square foot gardening. I have a raised box, and I grow different lettuces and carrots, mostly, for my bunnies. I love being able to yank something up, rinse it off & toss it in their pen. Happy bunnies.

However, over the winter, my box got infested with fire ants. We have a MAJOR problem with them. I used some bait killer, and it killed off the colony, but I really needed to get a hoe & turn up all the soil, so I ended up taking off my criss-crossing slats that divided the box into squares. So I guess I'm not technically doing square foot gardening anymore, since I planted all my seeds in rows this time. I still love the small compact space & raised bed, though.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    Soj, help me landscape. I have nothing at all. I'm here in NE Ohio and my weather is a little colder and shittier than yours but you might be able to suggest something.

Here's what I want: small plants / bushes, some flowers, relatively cheap and very easy. Perrenials. And gerbera daisies (are those perrenial and will the grow here?).

I see these beautiful trees with a pink blossom all over the place but they're really messy. I don't want to rake my lawn ever.

I have one plant in my house: a philodendron and no matter how much I neglect it, that fucker will not die!
    I really would have to say to look it up online and investigate there. There are so many variables to consider. sun or shade, drainage, micro-climates, soil type, exposure. disease resistance, water needs, care and maintenance..etc. You also may want to make a list of some of the kind of things you like, along with a list of the variable I mentioned, and go to a local gardening center/nursery. I know that Mellingers was a good place near Youngstown..but I think they have closed. Anyways you could get all kinds of info from a place like that, could look at the plants that would be suitable, etc. Then(after getting the plant names..etc) go look for the best buys/smaller plants that would cost the least! This works really well at the pricier places..especially if you act like you are going to buy alot. It is not like you promised them anything, you can use their help and advice but buy somewhere else cheaper.
    *Philodendrons are native I believe to rainforest undergrowth and so are tough and can handle low light and fluctuating watering, etc. I have them too. My favorite plant is a huge split leaf philodendron that was given to my partner and I in 1989 from someone who was dying. It is still going strong*

Frank, I don't know of any trees where you end up raking because of blossoms. They deteriorate pretty quickly. It's actually very pretty when the blossoms fall & carpet the lawn below for a few days.

If you're seeing redbuds, they make beautiful dark pink blossoms but they can be messy with seed pods. Other trees that make pretty pink blossoms would be pink dogwoods, cherries, some crape myrtles and whatever else I'm forgetting.

There are several varieties of both redbuds & cherries, so I'm sure there are some varieties that don't make a mess. My forest pansy redbud has NO mess, and it's so beautiful. As a matter of fact, I was admiring it yesterday (it's now leafed, the blooms are gone) & I decided to take a picture of it & post it in this thread.

If you want to do any online or catalog ordering of plants & trees, be very very careful & research the company. There is a quick & easy website called Garden Watchdog which is excellent for getting customer reviews to help you decide. Personally, I like Greenwood nursery. I've gotten lots of stuff thru them, and almost all of it has done well. My forest pansy came from them. Their website is good for educating yourself on plants & trees, even if you don't want to buy from them.

Here is one of their pages on flowering trees:

http://www.landsteward.org/page.cfm/167

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

You could also call your local County Extention Agent too Frank. I got all my native pines to put up a windbreak for from the the County agent and he even came and helped me test the soil and figure out what could grow here. It was a free service.

^^^You know, my father in law keeps suggesting that to me, and I've never done it. I should have done it several times, though, and saved myself a lot of aggravation. That's what those people do.

*smacks self in head*

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia

If you want to do any online or catalog ordering of plants & trees, be very very careful & research the company. There is a quick & easy website called Garden Watchdog which is excellent for getting customer reviews to help you decide.
    Direct Gardening
    House of Wesley
    Inter-State Nurseries
    Farmer Seed and Nursery
    Four Seasons Nursery
    Richard Owen Nursery / Exciting Gardens
    Kelly Nurseries
    Royal Dutch
    Honeycreek Nurseries

^^Avoid these companies like the Plague! Or ANY company associated with them in any way! I love Garden Watchdog And Dave's Garden. The Tomato Forum has a great funny thread on squirrels. Also the comments on these above companies are so funny..people are so pissed they got ripped off! I have a couple comments on there myself..fortunately my experience was not so bad as most.
    *Richard Owen is the devil of mail order gardening*

Yep, you've got Direct Gardening right in the number one Avoid position, which is where it belongs.

ETA: And Frank, I would have NEVER thought that I'd ever be into gardening. I started out of necessity, because we built on acreage that was overgrown & a former cow pasture. Rocky with nothing of value on it except oak trees. I've had to bring in dump trucks of topsoil, pick up thousands of rocks by hand, and research for hours & hours in order to landscape. But it's been so fulfilling and rewarding. I can't imagine my life without gardening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Yep, you've got Direct Gardening right in the number one Avoid position, which is where it belongs.
    If you get their catalogues just use them for lining of any animal cage available..that is all they are good for..to be shat upon!

Zee

If you live in NE Ohio, check out the Fellows Riverside Gardens in Mill Creek Park for ideas on plantings. The garden is laid out with multiple styles from formal gardens to natural areas. It is a very peaceful place to visit.

Last year my hydrangea blooms were very small. Does anybody know how to get the huge pom pom flowers?

Thanks
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

How mature are the plants, zorbeet?

Gold Member

I love gardening. Right now I'm landscaping my backyard. I just put in a Washington navel, another citrus called fruit salad,arbutus(strawberry tree) a lilac bush,a blueberry bush , a red cestrum, hibiscus, 2 night jasmines and two gardenias. I have a seperate patio area and I'm planting an evergreen jasmine and red trumpet vine to grow up my pergula. And I put a bunch of window boxes up with trailing plants and geraniums. I have a purple locust,crape murtle and pink dawn out front that I got free from my city.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Zee

Lobelia,

They are anywhere from 2 to 10 years old. I have Nikko blue, endless summer, pee gee and oak leaf. They are in morning sun and have shade for the afternoon. We've tried conventional fertilizers with out any success.

Can you use composted manure? I have an abundance of horse poop. Would appreciate any suggestions. Hydrangeas are such beautiful plants.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hdrangeas need iron. You can buy iron fertilizer "spikes" in any well-stocked garden store. Just follow the directions and you should see results. If not this year, the next. It works.

^^

"Clusters of larger flowers will be produced if the plant is thinned down to half of the original number of stems. Alternatively, pinching out the tips of the new growth (prior to budding), will produce many more flowers but the clusters will be smaller."

"Hydrangeas need an abundance of water (hydrangea means water tub in Greek), partial to full sun,and very rich soil. The spent flowers of Hydrangeas should be removed as soon as possible to allow the plant to direct it's strength to growing and producing new buds rather than seeds. If you didn't add compost to your hole when planting the Hydrangeas, you might consider replanting, because they thrive in rich soil. Fertilize liberally in the spring using a good all purpose plant food."

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information