Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Time to start this thread up again? I've kept a potted gardenia alive (inside) for about six weeks now! A record for me.

Anybody planning anything new or exciting this year? Purple carrots? Giant blueberries?

My yard is just beautiful. Red roses eveywgere. Redbud tree and Texas laurel just finished blooming. My sundrops are knockout. Purple clemantis vine stunning (only 3 feet high,but loaded with giant blooms) and my Virginia creeper vines are climbing up my brick walls in back. I love this time of year! On the roadsides, bluebonnets and indian paintbrush everywhere.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

All of my stuff survived the winter apparently, except for the one thing I wanted to die-some mint which I stupidly put in some planters...it was strangling the small trees in them. I hope it is all dead. Big mistake.

Pear tree had NO blooms this year. Not one! No pears this year. Same with apple tree. Do not understand it.

Kiwi vine is not looking so great, but still leafing out some.

I am planting all of my tomato and pepper plants at my parents house-they have the room. Just ornamentals for me this year.

I need a few new half whiskey barrels to replace some old ones and they are impossible to find now.

Euonymous "Manhattan" is doing very well. About five feet tall now and no leaf damage.

My boxwoods looked half dead over the winter(alot of browning/yellowing-way more than I would expect) but they are all greened up now.

My little purple leaved hazelnut I planted last year survived, but I am going to have to fertilize the hell out of it to get it off and growing.

Fucking silver maple hag-trees are so much of a problem. I am determined to get at least one of them cut down, even If I have to pay for it(park refused to do so, even though the one in question is half dead and has a split trunk likely to split apart).
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I love bluebonnets. Anything blue is a delight. I don't know if I missed the bluebells this year.

Sojita, that is weird about the fruit trees. Did you have a cold snap that killed the blossoms?

I bought a house and went from 3 and a half acres to a postage stamp. I'm not complaining. The acres were too much. I knew nothing about plants and made a lot of mistakes. I also had way too much going and felt like a slave to my yard.

My front yard has a bed that I'm slowly working on. Trying not to be impulsive so that I have mistakes. The plants already there are 2 privets & 2 chrysanthemum plants (identified for me here on GR). I added 3 boxwoods, some kind of dwarf grass that's pretty, and some pink begonias. Love begonias. I'm adding 2 pink crape myrtles, liriope (the clumping kind, not the the runners - those are de debbil), and a couple barberrys to mix up the color. That's really my only area that's been landscaped for planting.

I planted a weeping cherry in the front yard, which is freakin' gorgeous. It's doing great. Put a dogwood in the back. Well, 2 but one didn't make it.

I am going to be asking you guys for ideas for my back yard. It's really small, rectangular and has a privacy fence. It's also mildly sloped, and the weird part is that it is exactly divided in the amount of sun it gets, so half the grass is green and half is not.

I do know that I want to put blue hydrangeas in the shady part. ITA with Whoami -anything blue is a delight. Absolutely.

I'll post pictures later because I need suggestions.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

My dog ate my pepper plants today! My son was bummed. I said we'll plant more and I'll build the fence around the garden.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I love bluebonnets. Anything blue is a delight. I don't know if I missed the bluebells this year.

Sojita, that is weird about the fruit trees. Did you have a cold snap that killed the blossoms?
    No cold snap. They did not even form blossoms. No fruit buds/blossoms at all formed. And I am not sure why either. I have some other nearby plants (bush cherries, gooseberry, etc) that have bloomed and formed small fruit. Also a serviceberry in a pot bloomed fine, and it is about 3 feet from the columnar apple tree that did not bloom or form blossoms at all.

Just odd.

I am going to blame the silver maple trees. Too much shading, root competition?-I don't know, but the hated silver maples are going to take the blame anyway!

I am seriously tempted to sneak out at night and pound some copper nails in some of them or 'girdle' a few of them just to kill them so the park will HAVE to get rid of them....

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    My yard is just beautiful. Red roses eveywgere. Redbud tree and Texas laurel just finished blooming. My sundrops are knockout. Purple clemantis vine stunning (only 3 feet high,but loaded with giant blooms) and my Virginia creeper vines are climbing up my brick walls in back. I love this time of year! On the roadsides, bluebonnets and indian paintbrush everywhere.
    OMG! The bluebonnets are beautiful this year. I swear, we were driving home from Brenham on Sunday and the road was just lined with people taking pictures in the bluebonnet fields. Next time we go, I'm going to stop on our Friday (on the way to pick up the baby) and take pictures - but not on a Sunday with all that competition!

about 2 or 3 weeks ago, we did most of the planting I'm going to be doing this year: fig tree, blossoming pear tree and wisteria. I've already planted 3 rose bushes and some strawberries and cantaloupes (actually, the boy planted the strawberries and cantaloupes), some rosemary, thyme, basil, a trumpet plant... and we'll just see what comes up...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Lobelia--if you love blue flowers, try Hawaiian Blue Eyes. I grew them in a pot last summer and they did incredibly well. They're a pure, perfect blue, with no hint of purple:

Sojita--maybe your trees are lacking a sex drive?

Thanks, I will look them up & see if I can find some. They're gorgeous.

This is my cherry tree with the last of its blossoms. It has leaves now. The bed behind it is the area I've been working on, and has a lot of stuff added to it since this picture. I hate red mulch, but there was a TON of it in there, so I left it.

I've been googling those damned cherry trees and I want one. yours doesn't look like the pictures they try to sell me though, those lyin' sonsobitches!
    And I also want a Tulip Tree/Tulip Poplar Tree. check out the pics.
    Tulip Poplar Trees | Yellow Poplar | Tulip Trees
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Lobelia--if you love blue flowers, try Hawaiian Blue Eyes. I grew them in a pot last summer and they did incredibly well. They're a pure, perfect blue, with no hint of purple:

Sojita--maybe your trees are lacking a sex drive?
    I suspect it may be the damn root competition from the hag maples. But other plants have bloomed fine. I have an Invicta Gooseberry that set a ton of fruit-green huge gooseberries on the way!

I think for blue, just blue morning glories are good, but may be a bit 'country' for a new house.

Blue geraniums(perennial, not the pot kind) would be nice. Also there is a near blue clematis, near blue wisteria, etc.

My favorite comibinations are plants with blue-ish foliage combined with reddish foilage plants and gray/silver colors. Then some pink thrown in for flowering plants.

Blue is such hard color to get in large amounts, and it washes out so when there is something bright and bold like the summer composite flowers going with the yellows and oranges.

An everblooming shrub with large bluish flowers would be a wonderful thing to be developed.

*Mel 'Snowfountain" is a good small weeping cherry tree-white flowers, but it is not grafted and is trained up and then left to weep. Can get maybe ten feet high. Great for small spaces.

Grafted head weeping trees can break your heart when they mature, and then the graft goes bad.

Well, I was all excited to join this thread and then woke up this morning to another dump of snow. It's melted now but it sort of put a damper on my enthusiasm.

We're in Zone 1 so this time of year we can start planting things like peas but that's about it. It's too cold at night to even keep anything in the greenhouse. But my son planted a little plastic covered tray of nasturtiums, bachelor buttons and cosmos with his grandma and it's in the sun on our kitchen table.

Oh well, it's only another couple of weeks and then I'll be able to buy a few hanging baskets and stash them in the greenhouse overnight. And I'll come here and drool over everyone else's lush southern gardens!
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Mel, I got mine at Lowes. They had tons of them. Do you have a Lowes around you? This tree is totally thriving and looks great. But omg, that tulip poplar that you posted is sooo pretty.

Sojita, I'm scared of morning glories. I read that they grow fast and take over, so I planted some in some window boxes. I remember dropping like 3 or 4 seeds accidentally to the ground behind my deck. Within a couple of weeks I had vines that had grown up 3 or 4 feet. Awww, how cute, I thought. Within 6 weeks they had taken over the deck. I cut and cut and cut, and they were relentless. Never again.

Like I said, I want hydrangeas, but only if they're deeply blue. I may as well want to win the lottery. I don't like pink ones, I don't like light blue ones, and despise the ones that have pink & blue swirling together in one flower. Takes a lot of acid in the soil, I guess.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Our yard looks better than it ever has, last years late snow put a damper on my blueberry bushes but this year we have strawberries and blueberries all over the place. Roses (except my Black Magic) are in full bloom, butterfly bushes look beautiful.

We have two raised beds for our other garden veggies, squash, pole beans, peppers and herbs. I love the smell of rosemary.

I tried growing watermelon last year, it was to much work and the bugs ate the watermelon. We are also having a heck of a time with white flies on our gardenia's.

We'd like a Japanese Maple to go behind the fish pond, we found one for $300.00 so we tooled around and found another one for a $100.00 of course it was about 6 inches tall. bummer

Thread Information