Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

my son wants to do a fruit tree. which fruits are easy and yields the best results?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

A*O

Depends on the climate. Also, many fruit trees don't actually yield any fruit for a year or so. They also need pruning for best results. It's not difficult but patience is required. My apple trees are about 5 years old and only really started producing good fruit last year. If it's not too cold where you are then lemons are pretty easy. Or try growing some tomatoes? A couple of plants in pots in a sunny spot and regular watering should work (water the soil, not the leaves).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Mel, what zone are you in? You cant go wrong with a hardy apple. If you dont have a lot of room, you can train it against a wall or fence (ie espallier).

It was so gorgeous this past weekend that I was itching to get started but I new a cold front was coming and everything would die. It's going down to 37 degrees Wednesday night.I just can't wait to get started.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Zee

How about a peach or apricot tree? I've had good luck with getting fruit from both trees in the first season.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Depends on the climate. Also, many fruit trees don't actually yield any fruit for a year or so. They also need pruning for best results. It's not difficult but patience is required. My apple trees are about 5 years old and only really started producing good fruit last year. If it's not too cold where you are then lemons are pretty easy. Or try growing some tomatoes? A couple of plants in pots in a sunny spot and regular watering should work (water the soil, not the leaves).
    The boy doesn't like tomatoes or the would be perfect. it's warm where we are, for the most part - Texas. I'm going to look up the apple tree idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Mel, what zone are you in? You cant go wrong with a hardy apple. If you dont have a lot of room, you can train it against a wall or fence (ie espallier).
    Houston area. In other words, HOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    How about a peach or apricot tree? I've had good luck with getting fruit from both trees in the first season.
    I'm in Texas. It's very warm. We actually were looking at tangerine trees that were being sold in a pot. Peach trees produce the first season?? My uncle had one when I was a kid and I SWEAR, in fifteen years, not one damned sweet ripe peach off that tree! They were green and hard and if you hit somebody with them, they hurt like bitch!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    my son wants to do a fruit tree. which fruits are easy and yields the best results?
    Fig! A dwarf fig would do well in Houston..disease free pretty much. Would yield soon and you could make treats out of the figs cooking them or drying them, etc.

A Pineapple Guava would also do well there-hardy to nearly zero, beautiful small tree/ large shrub,evergreen, easy care pretty much, and the fruit is good, and the flowers are exotic and beautiful and edible and taste like candy!

Jujube(Zisiphus) might do well in your area, there is an interesting variety that is dwarf and contorted and fruits can be dryed so they are like a cross between a date and an apple-this contorted variety is called "So" I believe, and would produce early. Does have thorns though..but kids might like that too! (I would have as a kid).

Also thorny is Trifoliate Orange "Flying Dragon"-very twisted and with sharp twisted thorns. Dwarf tree, fruit only good for a tart juice. But I had one, and it lived and produced some fruit here in Ohio-very hardy! And as a kid I would have like the twisted form and the twisted thorns. looses its leaves, but the branches stay bright green. Very attractive!

I would not chance other Citrus in Houston. And most stone fruits would be very disease susceptible in your hot humid climate. Same with most apples and pears, and you would need very low-chill varieties for the Houston area.

If you do want Peach/Nectarine/Apricot, there are genetic dwarf forms available that are just mop headed bushes that can produce edible fruit, and would be small enough that you could use organic sprays on them very easily(less than six feet tall). There is even a genetic dwarf Bing cherry, but I do not know if it would do well in Houston. In the North, (colder than zero), you have to grow these genetic dwarfs in pots so they can be overwintered, in your area you could plant them in the ground. You could also cover them with a sheet if frost threatened, they would be that small.

I can think of others if you want.
    there are a ton of interesting things you could try there that most of us could not grow.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Zee

Sojita- have you ever grown a fig tree? I went and talked with the old Italian gardener that helps me out. He is telling me to stay away from Figs. He claims it's too much work.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Sojita- have you ever grown a fig tree? I went and talked with the old Italian gardener that helps me out. He is telling me to stay away from Figs. He claims it's too much work.
    I grew three of them in large containers and overwintered them after the leaves had fallen in an upstairs bedroom(empty) with two south facing windowns. They did fine, and even leafed out in Spring while upstairs.

I had some figs from them(multiple figs from each small tree), but I found out I did not like fresh figs(never had tasted one) and I got lazy so after a few years I left them out to die. The only problem was hauling them up and down from the second floor. The containers were probably 16 inches around. I never had a problem with them at all in the containers.

I have pics of figs grown in containers about 18 inches around, and the trees were over six feet tall, and that much around too. Mine never got that old or big.

The guy may be referring to all of the work it takes to cut them back, cover them with a waterproof tarp, mulch, etc. when they are grown outdoors permanently in a cold zone and need alot of protection.

*The ones I grew in the large pots were Brown Turkey and one other dwarf variety..I forget the name..something that started with Petite..Petite Negronne or something like that.

Well no pear or apples this year for me. frost must have got the blossoms.

I'm still waiting to move my herb garden outside. It snowed again on Monday.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I bought a tree yesterday(or rather a large shrub). It is a Contorted Filbert/Hazelnut called 'Red Majestic". It is like the regular contorted hazel(also called 'Harry Lauders Walking stick'), but with RED leaves! I had already ordered a regular red filbert, and a purple leaved filbert, along with several of the regular contorted filberts, for mine and my dad's garden. I loved the one I had at the old place..got huge and was spectacular in winter and with the leaves off and catkins hanging..

It was kind of alot($60.00Z) but the thing was very tall(over six feet high) and had a great upright shape I can work with to get it large and impressive in a short amount of time. Plus that price is really good for the size of the plant. They have been hard to find till now.

My order of filberts from Washington state is already shipped, and along with those I am getting some Saskatoon 'Regent". an 'Invicta" Gooseberry, and a Trebizond date. I plan( if they ever fucking cut my diseased silver maple down) to plant the silver leaved Trebizond date, the red leaved filberts, and a Globe dwarf blue spruce together in a planting, with some groundcovers and some purple flowering perrenials. What you think?

*Plus I have over 150 plants in container ranging from pint sized to three gallon size ready for sale, but I am so sick of them and it all I hardly give a shit anymore! My porch and patio is covered with fucking plants in containers. If they do not sell I will happily kill them with Roundup or let them wither, die, and rot. I am at that point with them.

also my Native American groundnut order came, or at least one of the orders. over $25 dollars for two damn bulbs the size of a thimble..shit! I feel robbed, and stupid. Plus I am growing even more shit inside...I am in over my head..and the partners I was supposed to have are not doing shit and I am having to go it alone. Fuckers. The whole thing was their idea...dammit.

*end rant*

I live in florida.
    We have banana trees, orange, grapefruit, avacado.
    A veggie garden, yes.
    many rose gardens that are memorials to disceased family members and my pride and joy.
    I also grow lemongrass, and a variety of herbs.
    Hubby wants a cactus garden but I am saying no right now.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I live in florida.
    We have banana trees, orange, grapefruit, avacado.
    A veggie garden, yes.
    many rose gardens that are memorials to disceased family members and my pride and joy.
    I also grow lemongrass, and a variety of herbs.
    Hubby wants a cactus garden but I am saying no right now.
    How bad are the insect/disease problems with stuff down there? What kind of roses?-are they problematic in that climate? I saw a Knockout rose tree that was grown as a standard on it's own trunk and supposed to be as hardy as the actual thing(since it is the actual thing and not grafted) supposed to be hardy here in Ohio and not need protection..thinking of giving it a try.

I did the same thing(trained a shrub rose into a standard tree rose) with a Carefree Wonder shrub rose, and it was magnificent and lived about 8 years..got huge and had a large 'trunk'-before it suddenly died of course.

We have zero problem with insects. We dont have to spray anything.
    Roses are AWESOME here, they grow sooo well. Almost all year long we have blooms and they grow bigger here. I prune them in Jan.. Knockouts grow here with no effort at all. I have hybrid teas.You could grow knockouts there Im sure. They love the sun.
    Your rose shrubs sound amazing!
    Right now I have
    Eden rose
    Grandi flora
    Brigadoon
    Maestro
    Grey Pearl
    Pascali
    My husband bought some red roses at Big Lots for $2.50 a gallong but it didnt say what they were so I need to research it.
    Our cabbage just came up lol
    Give those knockout roses a try!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Thread Information