Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Elite Member

Mel, the 2 things about wisteria you have to remember are: to get good bloom, you have to prune, prune, prune. The other thing is it will completely destroy whatever you train it on whether, wood or metal. But in the mean time it looks great!

Zee

I have a wisteria and love/hate it. To get mine to bloom- I prune it in fall and again in January/February. When it is in bloom I love it.

After that, it is a constant battle to keep the growth under control. I have wisteria vines shooting up all over the yard from suckers.

Glad to see that this thread has been refreshed. Still haven't been able to tell what was killed over the winter. So far, one peach tree for sure.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I bought a Wisteria a couple of years ago and so far haven't had any blooms . I have it climbing up a pergola and it grows real nice but no shoots. I haven't pruned it yet though and I don't know how either. I thought it grew on old wood?
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Zee

The longer shoots on mine (when pruned) turn into flower buds. This is the best explanation I've ever found.

YouTube - How to prune your Wisteria!

If you don't prune it just turns into more plant/vine growths

A
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

That's great, thanks! I wonder if I'll do any harm being that it's already March here and they say February is the best.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Zee, I'm looking at the Wisteria trees instead of the vines due to the fact that they do take over everything. I was talking to my mom today and she said the same thing. Said that her grandmother planted some and it wound up spreading to a nearby tree and choking the life out of it and the tree had to be cut down and her grandfather went ahead and hacked off most of the wisteria. Anyway, here's a link to the ones I'm fantasizing about... Wisteria Tree | Wisteria Trees | Flowering Wisteria
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Zee

Very nice, Mel.

Sweet Pea- hack into your wisteria. I'm going to do mine this weekend.
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Are they serious about the growing zones???? I could have one! Me wanty!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Elite Member

Just so you know, what they are selling as 'Wisteria tree' is a plain old Wisteria Sinensis that has been trained to a single upright shoot (no arbour) you will still need to prune 2x year for blooms, plus the additional training to keep it a single stem plant. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to kill!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Are they serious about the growing zones???? I could have one! Me wanty!
    Yeah!!! you should get one too!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Just so you know, what they are selling as 'Wisteria tree' is a plain old Wisteria Sinensis that has been trained to a single upright shoot (no arbour) you will still need to prune 2x year for blooms, plus the additional training to keep it a single stem plant. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to kill!
    Yeah, I did read that. I think trimming a tree would be a damned sight easier than trimming some of the vines I've seen running.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Zee, I'm looking at the Wisteria trees instead of the vines due to the fact that they do take over everything. I was talking to my mom today and she said the same thing. Said that her grandmother planted some and it wound up spreading to a nearby tree and choking the life out of it and the tree had to be cut down and her grandfather went ahead and hacked off most of the wisteria. Anyway, here's a link to the ones I'm fantasizing about... Wisteria Tree | Wisteria Trees | Flowering Wisteria
    I'm ordering that! I don't care what it takes,I love it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I want one too.

This is what I have in front of my house & in back. They were already planted when we moved in,I never would have thought of it. I cannot TELL you what an easy joy they are! Says they will bloom from Florida to Canada.

They are on the same website as the wisteria tree-called Double Knockout Roses. They need some sun. That is all. This picture is exactly what they look like 9 months of the year here.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Zee

Love the roses.

I really want to grow figs. Does anybody grow them? I'm in zone 5/6 and would have to move them inside.
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I had a wisteria trained to a braided single stem growing up the side of the house I used to live in-wonderful plant. It died on me one year though-might have been due to the braiding. I also planted Passionvine 'Incense"(hardy to zone five) under it..and that grew up it and bloomed later in the season. Wonderful.
    Another thing about Wisteria..the farther north you are, the less rampant they are and easier to control. The neighbors down the street had both a Wisteria as a vine on the front porch of their house, and a very old established one grown tree form-to the point it was self supporting. They kept them trimmed back regularly..and they were magnificent in bloom!
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This is what I have in front of my house & in back. They were already planted when we moved in,I never would have thought of it. I cannot TELL you what an easy joy they are! Says they will bloom from Florida to Canada.

They are on the same website as the wisteria tree-called Double Knockout Roses. They need some sun. That is all. This picture is exactly what they look like 9 months of the year here.
    Knockout(and it's variations) are THE BEST shrub rose out there. Immune to blackspot, hardy on their own roots, I had them at the old place on a dry slope and they flourished. I am getting one this spring for here too dammit-they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Love the roses.

I really want to grow figs. Does anybody grow them? I'm in zone 5/6 and would have to move them inside.
    I am in zone5/6 and I grew two of them in large tubs and hauled them up to an empty upstairs bedroom with a southern exposure for winter. They did fine and cropped and all..but I got tired of them and left them out one winter and they of course died. Should not have done that.

You could grow a hardy one like 'Chicago' or 'Brown Turkey' outside if you cut them back, cover them with a tarp, and then cover that with about two feet of mulch/tree leaves. There is an area near me called San Margherita and they were locally known for doing this large scale.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Thread Information