Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

A*O

Hostas! I had load of them in my soggy damp dark garden in the UK and I loved them. So did the slugs and snails unfortunately.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

I love them as well, especially the fragrant flowers. We put pans of beer out to lure the slugs.

Did you grow Calla lilies? I was amazed at the cottages with Calla lily borders.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

A*O

Yes I did! And my Ma who now lives just a couple of streets away manages to grow them too with the help of the bucket everyone now puts in their shower to catch the spare water. This drought really is that bad. Mind you, my Ma has green thumbs anyway and can grow pretty much anything she likes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

I love Calla lilies. We would walk around and each cottage had the most beautiful garden. One lady was kind enough to show me her back yard. My sons had a great time playing in her garden while we talked. It was a highlight of the trip. I would love to grow Callas.

I need to get things in order before trying them. Kids are finally old enough to not feel guilty about spending the time in the garden.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Your old garden sounds wonderful. Give it time and the new garden will flourish.

I've been dividing day lilies and hostas. Made new flower beds and didn't get to it earlier in the year.

How do you "divide" hostas? I have them all over! I'd love to share them.

I used to do the "beer in the garden", I forgot my old tricks. Thanks for the reminder!

Zee

I just dig them up and either rip them apart with my hands or a pitchfork. Then you just plant the divisions and they will spread.
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

^^Thanks!

I should have figured it would be that easy, they're pretty hardy.

......just got back from the greenhouse with lavender, thyme, etc.

I have giant white calla lillies, smaller pink & yellow. They last so long!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've tried growing those twice with no luck. I don't think it's hot enough here.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I've tried growing those twice with no luck. I don't think it's hot enough here.
    I think you're right. One older guy tells of seeing streets here lined with them 50 years ago! And we get some hot,hot weather.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't have an actual garden, alas, but I do have a big wraparound balcony and today I scrubbed it -- mildew is a bitch to remove -- and organized my plants. I have a lot of containers. I'm not doing as much as usual this year. This is the latest I've ever been in getting organized -- too much other stuff going on. But I have quite a few perennials such as lupines, and they are in glorious bloom, ornamental grasses, lots of herbs and I bought a few hanging baskets. Still need to get some tomatoes and peppers, and maybe some geraniums. My balcony faces south, so I need plants that can take the sun.

I'm stiff and sore all over, but I feel good!

Can I just say how much I love my Morning Glories? They're as hardy as weeds and as fast growing. I have the purple variety. The flowers are just beautiful.

We recently bought two big pots from Mexico. Does anyone have any recommendations for flowers? I'd like something that's easy and can get full sun. I'm in Southern California. Warm, mild weather.

Geraniums with dracena are boring, but they are perfect for that, plus they are very low maintenance. Sunflowers are nice, too if you like them. Cosmos are also easy -- they bloom like crazy and you don't have to do anything to them.

There are so many choices, but it kind of depends on your personal preferences. Portulaca is also good and incredibly heat/drought resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Geraniums with dracena are boring, but they are perfect for that, plus they are very low maintenance. Sunflowers are nice, too if you like them. Cosmos are also easy -- they bloom like crazy and you don't have to do anything to them.

There are so many choices, but it kind of depends on your personal preferences. Portulaca is also good and incredibly heat/drought resistant.
    Thanks. I'm going to look into all of those suggestions. Anything low maintenance is good for me.

Clematis is nice too, but you have to make sure the roots are protected. It blooms like crazy, comes in lots of different colours, and is a gorgeous vine-like plant. I'm only in low-maintenance plants these days, lol.

Thread Information