Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Do you have a dehydrator A*O? I usually dehydrate a lot of the fruit from the garden. It keeps well and dried apple chips are always welcomed. Nuts will keep a while as long as they are stored somewhere dark and coolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Mmkay... please tell me how I get my kitty to stop eating/attacking/mutilating/decapitating my plants? Note, this is the "good" kitty of course, not the bad one...

I tried orange peels once, they only seemed to make him angrier at the plant.
    I've been checking into this. Ever since we evicted the cats because of inappropriate peeing in the house, they're tearing up my landscaping, throwing mulch everywhere & uprooting stuff, peeing in the mulch. I read that it's very bad for plants, something to do with the salt in the urine.

What I read was that you can sprinkle a bunch of cayenne pepper in the beds, but I don't know if that would stop them from eating the plants. Maybe they would just stay away from that area all together. I also have some spray that is supposed to be a deterrent, but it's not supposed to be sprayed directly on the plant, and it has to be done every day. I would have to spend 20 minutes a day going around & carefully spraying all my mulched areas. And about the pepper sprinkling, what happens when you water? Wouldn't it rinse all the pepper away?

I read something about putting chicken wire underneath the mulch... that's a good idea... There are also motion-detecting sprinklers, but they're expensive, like around $70 - $100. I would need, oh, about 10 of them ($1000, ain't gonna happen) and they would all need to be hooked up to a water source.

They don't like chunkier mulch, like pine bark nuggets, so I'm going to have to get several bags of that & put it on top of the other mulch. I was so angry yesterday when I saw my transplanted cannas uprooted. I'm so sick of these cats' peeing where I don't want them to. And I'm scared of the day when they get brave enough to venture into my neighbors' yards because then I'll be inflicting my problem on THEM & that's not right.

Arg.

On a happy note, one of my 4 year-old weeping cherry trees actually produced 3 blooms this year, for the first time. Maybe there will be more. They're very pretty blooms.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There is something special about an apple picked fresh off the tree. At least I can peel, cut and freeze them. Ditto the apricots. I guess I can also de-shell the walnuts and freeze them too but will probably lose a lot of the flavour and goodness? There is nothing like a fresh walnut - small, juicy and, um, very walnutty LOL.
    Where I am originally from, we have huge apple trees-mostly green.My Grandfather had an apple orchard-oh the pies!! We have pear trees, fig bushes,grapes-scupernong & muscadine. Plums! Lots are wild and so great! Massive pecan trees-all the men are set to cracking whist they watch TV! They have to be washed thoroughly because of those little bitter bits-but after they dry, we freeze them.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Mmkay... please tell me how I get my kitty to stop eating/attacking/mutilating/decapitating my plants? Note, this is the "good" kitty of course, not the bad one...

I tried orange peels once, they only seemed to make him angrier at the plant.
    Moth balls -that's what Martha Stewart uses to stop squirrels.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Keep the ground wet. Cats don't like wet.

No, they don't. And my ding-dong daughter (who is 18) keeps saying that she is afraid that her kitty will drown in the pool when we take the cover off. Times like that, I think she was switched at the hospital.

As if that damned cat is going to take a swim.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That damn cat getting angrier at the plant was the big laugh of my day great mental image...

A*O

Cats hate citrus - leave orange/lemon peel around the plants (it will compost down too)
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

All the fruit tree blooms here are dead. Fucking Ohio weather. I feel like cutting the trees down I am so pissed. Oh well...there is always next year..(just like with OSU football, basketball, etc..*sigh* lol)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Looking at my apple trees under snow right now I'm betting those blooms are dead too.. prepare to pay more for fruits this summer.

Zee

I've given up on covering my flower beds. My cherry trees bloomed and promptly froze.

This is not the last freeze of the year.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Today-a day that started out with snow flurries-I have witnessed the most beautiful sight! On the way to a friends houe in Grand Prairie Tx-just a half hour away-there are hills upon hills of the most gorgous bluebonnets! Texas wild flowers-they are covering everything in magnificant swaths of purple ,mixed in with the new spring green of the new grass! I almost froze at 70mph! On the way back I took pictures while driving-not safe I know! I am dying for all you flower lovers to see them. I hope I can figure out how to do this!! All of theses wild flowers are the work of one determined woman, Lady Bird Johnson. What a legacy she has left us all!

Can't figure it out-will change avatar so you can see!

I did cover many of my younger plants with sheets, & I brought most of the potted things inside. It's 35 degrees F & supposed to get to 31. Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's really weird. We are enduring the worst drought in recent history, yet my fruit trees have never produced so much fruit this year. I got almost 15lbs of apricots off one tree, ...

My two little dwarf apricot trees(planted together in the same large hole) were COVERED in blooms and there were swarming little bees all over them so I was sure I was going to get a huge crop..now NO fruit whatsover as it has not even gotten above 30 degrees here yet today! Damn this weather!

Same with the pears, apples, bush cherries, and the hardy orange!

*leaves thread pissed!!!!*

Well after being burned by the 19degree F freeze that killed all of the blooms coming out, my hardy dwarf twisted bitter Japanese Orange tree has somehow managed to put forth a new(smaller but still significant) set of nice orange blossoms so I may get a little fruit set this year yet! YAY for the hardy orange and TAKE THAT!!! Mother Nature ya betch!!!

Thread Information