Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The plants/gardening thread!

Welcome! I discovered these about 4 years ago and think they are the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Very cool link, thanks BIAB! I need something like that. I wonder if it will grow in full sun in the summer. Sun is low in the winter but summers it gets really hot in my backyard.
    There are a lot of different varieties and you can search for full sun, no sun etc. Having full sun will probably give you more options and able to even pick ones that have little delicate flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I clicked your link & have had the page open all day. I've seen Stepables before at my local Lowes, but I really need to get serious & research some options. I have an area of ground that is very difficult. It's on the west side of the house, under a tree. That translates into NO morning sun, NO early afternoon sun, and broiling brutal sizzling afternoon sun.
    I use Creeping Jenny for shade and/or sun, they tolerate anything and grow very fast.

- STEPABLES.COM - Plants that tolerate foot traffic.

I've seen this groundcover almost at all garden centers, and also they aren't sold exclusively by Stepables so you can probably get them cheaper by the flat. They are also wonderful to use in window boxes and containers since they trail.

I was just looking at that very one! Now I know for sure.Creeping Jenny it is!

Do any of you have Virginia Creeper? I have it over most of my exposed brick walls. Beautiful . Green leaves spring,summer. Red in fall. Leaves drop so sun can warm in winter-just leaves brown "tracks" that are hardly noticeable-then leaves pop back out in spring. Stands hot,hot drought and rainy weather or ice just fine.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

well now that all of my fruit trees are finishing blooming/starting blooming it is going to get to fucking 25 degrees this week so I can kiss any fruit goodbye. Fucking Ohio shit weather!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Born In A Brothel View Post
    Welcome! I discovered these about 4 years ago and think they are the greatest.

I use Creeping Jenny for shade and/or sun, they tolerate anything and grow very fast.
    I will definitely check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    well now that all of my fruit trees are finishing blooming/starting blooming it is going to get to fucking 25 degrees this week so I can kiss any fruit goodbye. Fucking Ohio shit weather!
    Oh NOES! Maybe it won't get that low. Dang, I need to check the weather & see if we're due for a cold front. It was SO warm today, probably 85 or so, a gorgeous day. I hope you don't lose your fruit, Sojita!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

We had a very chilly, but sunny, day here. I've done the minimal with my container garden, but it's just too cold. My tulips have been half out for three days now. My herbs and perennials are just starting to look good.

I bought some wonderful-smelling Bridal crown yesterday -- I'd never seen it before. I'm keeping it inside for now, and it's perfuming my whole bedroom.

Sojiita, here's hoping your trees make it! It is cooler here but still srong sunny day. Our last day here for frost every recorded is April 15. Not too much longer-crosses fingers again!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Sojiita, here's hoping your trees make it! It is cooler here but still srong sunny day. Our last day here for frost every recorded is April 15. Not too much longer-crosses fingers again!
    Friday night it is supposed to get down to nearly 20 degrees..25 degrees fior Thursday night and Saturday night. My fruit trees are toast. And my Japanese contorted bitter orange tree(Poncirus Trifoliata 'Flying Dragon")--which had only a few blooms last year and produced 1 solitary lone fruit-- is full of blooms just opening up! covered with them..and they are all going to be killed!

Ohio weather eats shit.

Zee

I'm feeling Ohio pain as well. Almost every year the blooms get blown by one last cold snap.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Ohio is the weather-tard state of the United States! lol!!!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'm having the same issue in Virginny Sojiita. My fruit trees are in full bloom and we're getting a cold snap here. I'm not going to get apple, pear or plum one this year.

Mmkay... please tell me how I get my kitty to stop eating/attacking/mutilating/decapitating my plants? Note, this is the "good" kitty of course, not the bad one...

I tried orange peels once, they only seemed to make him angrier at the plant.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

It's really weird. We are enduring the worst drought in recent history, yet my fruit trees have never produced so much fruit this year. I got almost 15lbs of apricots off one tree, my apple tree branches are almost breaking with the weight of fruit and the walnut tree is bursting. Anyone want some lovely fresh Pink Lady apples? Oh and ideas for what the hell I can do with bag fulls of walnuts would be greatly appreciated. I am currently giving them away to the neighbours.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I wish I was your neighbor!! walnuts! and apricots ! pink lady apples!
    I am green with envy!!

A*O

There is something special about an apple picked fresh off the tree. At least I can peel, cut and freeze them. Ditto the apricots. I guess I can also de-shell the walnuts and freeze them too but will probably lose a lot of the flavour and goodness? There is nothing like a fresh walnut - small, juicy and, um, very walnutty LOL.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Mmkay... please tell me how I get my kitty to stop eating/attacking/mutilating/decapitating my plants? Note, this is the "good" kitty of course, not the bad one...

I tried orange peels once, they only seemed to make him angrier at the plant.

Your post cracked me up. I got a mental picture. haha
    My cat does this too.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information