Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The Pink Bathrooms of Mid Century

Maybe i,ll buy that enamel paint set and pay a man to upgrade my bathroom.Love that color ,Bee!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Love it bee, the design is very California deco.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love it too....I think you could do so much with those colors...towels and maybe wallpaper.

I did do a complete re-grout on mine several years ago. Talk about tedious, but it does look a lot better.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

My grandmom's bathroom tile looks just like this except in pink and black, lavender is so much easier on the eyes. This is one thing in their house that never changes, they remodeled the sink and bathtub but the tile remains the same. Another thing that never ever changed is the brand of toothpaste in there. It has always been colgate.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

fgg

i like it the idea of it and for you but no way in hell could i walk into a bathroom that looked like anything in this thread every day.
    rollo likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I just noticed the sinks in the ads. That's what my sink looks like, with the two metal legs only in white. I like that it's got a lot of surface area on top to put my soap hand pump and a large glass jar for q-tips. There are black ceramic built-ins on the wall: toothbrush holders, soap holder and a plain square holder for a glass of water maybe?

Bluebonnet and sputnik like this.

Totally reminds me of my grandparents house in San Diego. The main floor bath was pink and white tiles. I'm not sure about the toilet, but for sure the sink was pink and the tiles on the tub and on the counter were pink and white. Their upstairs bath (master) was green and teal, I loved it as a kid. Green tub, toilet and sink. You always see people on House Hunters whining about these 50's bathrooms, I always feel a twinge of nostalgia for them. Mine are the height on 1994 - hideous tile (some insane mix of blue and pink waves) and I have CARPET in the bathroom. It is disgusting!

^ Ugh, I know...when we bought our house, there was horrible beige carpet in the bathroom too, when I lifted it up and saw the original gray tile I was ecstatic.

And I remember one of those bath crashers shows (I think) several years ago where they demolished a pink mid-century bathroom and made it an earth-toned, glass-tiled modern master bath. It was nice, but I still felt a little nauseous.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I scream whenever I hear those house hunters on HGTV bitching about the mid century bathrooms, whining: "this bathroom needs an upgrade" and here is all the original tile and sinks and toilets. It's a good thing I'm not a realtor. I'd be like "If you can't appreciate this, then you aren't good enough to buy this house! Goodbye!"

I was raised in a mid century home with the pink/burgundy bathroom with pink and white tile floors (later in the 70's, my parents upgraded the floor to red indoor/outdoor carpet....don't ask). It's nostalgic to me, too.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i like it the idea of it and for you but no way in hell could i walk into a bathroom that looked like anything in this thread every day.
    I agree. I can't tolerate that shade of salmon pink or any pink really. It reminds me of that house and swimming pool in Beverly Hills which Jayne Mansfield owned or Mooriah and her Hello Kitty bathroom. Different shades of pink but still pink! Not everything historic was tasteful even though I love Art Deco.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I had a pink bathroom just like the last one pictured in one place I lived. I loved it! The place i moved in after that had a yellow bathroom, same design, and the kitchen had pink appliances with a white countertop with starbursts on it.

We lived in an awesome mid-century house in the valley when I was in LA. It was a Mellenthin Birdhouse in updated, yet pretty original, condition. The main bath was pink and white. It was awesome. The kitchen had yellow tile with maroon tile accents. I loved it.
    palta likes this.

This is the pink bathroom I always wanted:

KrisNine and Bluebonnet like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I needed a place to lay my head, down the shore in New Jersey. The bathroom was all pink, with hints of cream coloring. It was a crappy hotel. Now I know from this thread that it has not been renovated since the 60's.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information